Home

What's everyone going to do if/when EA re-ups with the NFL?

This is a discussion on What's everyone going to do if/when EA re-ups with the NFL? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #97
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: What's everyone going to do if/when EA re-ups with the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
Comon has been making classics for years but when you buy his CD it overall quality usualy isnt that good. His last CD was his best to date , i think because it was produced by Kanye.
Continuin off topic some more...

I gotta dispute the sound quality aspect of Common's albums. You kind of have to take into consideration that it was J Dilla that produced his last couple albums before Common's last one. Those albums had Dilla written all over them. That's his thing, he stuff doesn't sound like it was made in some high end, ultra expensive recording studio. He pretty much just used his MPC and that's it. He was clearly head of the class and earned the respect of guys like Kanye.

I also believe Dilla and Common had a nice vibe to them and worked reallly well together. From what i understand, they were roomates for a while. Dilla was supposed to produce his last album, but he was sick and couldn't do it.

That being said, I belive Dilla met his match when he met Madlib. Once he started using his MPC less and his computer more, you could tell the Madlib influence in his beats. I also have to say that these are some of my least favorite beats from Dilla, though. I thought Donuts was an okay album, but it wasn't the Dilla stuff that I personally like.

By the way, I live in the metro Detroit area, so i might be biased.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 2

Coming back on topic a bit...

First, let's not assume that Take Two will be in the bidding for the NFL license once the agreement is up, seeing as how tons of rumors about their financial status abound (but for sake of argument, we'll pretend VC was taken by Ubisoft, even though it's not true and has no bearing on my overall point).

If the NFL license becomes available again, EA will have to look long and hard at one particular point - are they better off financially having exclusive rights than when there was competition. Considering the sheer # of Madden titles out for so many systems, I'd think they'd make their money back somewhat, but would the difference be worth the insane amount of cash they dropped on the NFL in the first place? If the deal actually had them LOSE money, do you think they'd re-up again? Especially if you consider the NFL will go for every dime they can get, and their $$$ isn't affected by EA's sales.

In the end, without Madden, the entire EA empire suffers quite a bit, which is why they had to have exclusive rights. I think if whoever's on the outside brings #s to the NFL at how much more money they might get from making the license non-exclusive, there's a chance. But it all comes down to money and the NFL will go to the highest bidder.

Personally, I've stopped even thinking about updated rosters for a bit - just had fun playing the game.

And caeser's on point about the commericalization of popularity. Most people think good music is Shakira doing a duet with Hilarious Duff.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiladelph
Coming back on topic a bit...

First, let's not assume that Take Two will be in the bidding for the NFL license once the agreement is up, seeing as how tons of rumors about their financial status abound (but for sake of argument, we'll pretend VC was taken by Ubisoft, even though it's not true and has no bearing on my overall point).

If the NFL license becomes available again, EA will have to look long and hard at one particular point - are they better off financially having exclusive rights than when there was competition. Considering the sheer # of Madden titles out for so many systems, I'd think they'd make their money back somewhat, but would the difference be worth the insane amount of cash they dropped on the NFL in the first place? If the deal actually had them LOSE money, do you think they'd re-up again? Especially if you consider the NFL will go for every dime they can get, and their $$$ isn't affected by EA's sales.

In the end, without Madden, the entire EA empire suffers quite a bit, which is why they had to have exclusive rights. I think if whoever's on the outside brings #s to the NFL at how much more money they might get from making the license non-exclusive, there's a chance. But it all comes down to money and the NFL will go to the highest bidder.

Personally, I've stopped even thinking about updated rosters for a bit - just had fun playing the game.

And caeser's on point about the commericalization of popularity. Most people think good music is Shakira doing a duet with Hilarious Duff.
I don't think EA is losing money on the deal. They still sell a crap-ton of Madden and now they have Head Coach to make them money, too. Sure, the first version of it wasn't all that, but I bet people will still buy the next version. Also keep in mind that I'm sure they are getting a nice chunk of change from the advertising they do in-game. Like, with Pontiac for example
Old 08-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #100
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
***Off topic****

I agree with everything but this. LB doesn't talk about anything but themselves, and how little respect they get. They have TONS of talent, and they represent where hip hop should be going, but they need to grow up and stop crying and whining about how underrated they are. Same with Talib. 1 or 2 songs OK...but a whole album? Thats alienating the folks who DO love their style, including myself. The ryhmes in Minstrel Show were such a dissapointment considering what a beast Phonte is....the only non-bitching songs were the one about females, and the one about fatherhood. They eeded more of that stuff.

My .02 music review...sorry guys, carry on.
I agree Minstrel Show was a huge step back from The Listening....
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am new to this thread, but found the conversation to be quite interesting.

From 1999-2002 I worked at Media Play, a branch of Sam Goody, On Cue ect. I was excited at the prospect of working in the music section, because at the time I think I was naive to how truly mindless peopel could be about music. I can honestly tell you that the majority of people who came into the store asking for music wanted the "hottest" music. By hot they literally meant whatever music was selling the best. I had people buy the best selling albums without knowing a damn thing about the band/individual or the music they were spewing out. I was shocked. I really didn't think people could be that easily persuaded to by something. I say without hesitation that the mass majority of people will buy ANYTHING that is on the radio or television no matter how pathetic it is.

What is being put out there now is not music. It is simply a corporate product that happens to have musical elements.

The same goes with movies or television shows. The best, most sophisticated shows are usually the least watched, and don't even get me started on movies.

I try to basically just ignore everything now. I don't listen to the radio, don't watch any television show showing "music" videos and I feel much the better for it. Sadly it is only when buying video games now that I have to be exposed to any of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #102
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownpoet
I am new to this thread, but found the conversation to be quite interesting.

From 1999-2002 I worked at Media Play, a branch of Sam Goody, On Cue ect. I was excited at the prospect of working in the music section, because at the time I think I was naive to how truly mindless peopel could be about music. I can honestly tell you that the majority of people who came into the store asking for music wanted the "hottest" music. By hot they literally meant whatever music was selling the best. I had people buy the best selling albums without knowing a damn thing about the band/individual or the music they were spewing out. I was shocked. I really didn't think people could be that easily persuaded to by something. I say without hesitation that the mass majority of people will buy ANYTHING that is on the radio or television no matter how pathetic it is.

What is being put out there now is not music. It is simply a corporate product that happens to have musical elements.

The same goes with movies or television shows. The best, most sophisticated shows are usually the least watched, and don't even get me started on movies.

I try to basically just ignore everything now. I don't listen to the radio, don't watch any television show showing "music" videos and I feel much the better for it. Sadly it is only when buying video games now that I have to be exposed to any of it.
I worked in a record store for a while (but it was more like "Championship Vinyl" from "High Fidelity"); same phenomenon everywhere, though. It is sad how people will do/buy anything if it's "the thing to do". Madden is simply the videogame incarnation of Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »