Home

Does it make sense for 2K Sports to create a generic customizable game??

This is a discussion on Does it make sense for 2K Sports to create a generic customizable game?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Does it make sense for 2K Sports to create a generic customizable game??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
They really don't need to make it customizable just generic. I know that people want it customizable but it doesn't have to be. When Jordan couldn't be put into a video game, you couldn't even change the players name to Jordan, everyone knew who shooting guard #24, for Chicago was. Same thing applies to football. No, we wouldn't have Hines Ward #86, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but, we would have WR1 #85, for Pittsburgh, and we would know who that was. Future versions of the game would be to make the gameplay and whatever else better.
Exactly... People seem to forget that we played these games for YEARS without the NFL license.

Graphical updates can be made yearly, and the "unlicensed roster" update can be done too. Then toss in whatever gimmick you want..

***P.S. Notice how I didn't mention animations since if NM is used we wouldn't need that unless there's an improvement on that technology!*** tee hee hee.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
I don't buy that at all. It's one thing to have one or two generic players in an entire league be generic, but not an entire league.
Blitz did okay.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
Exactly... People seem to forget that we played these games for YEARS without the NFL license.
Yeah, that was before licenses were the standard for sports video games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

Going back to the original message - without crunching any numbers, I don't think that it makes sense from a business standpoint to release a generic game.

The Blitz reference is a generic game - agreed, but its really a different animal. It's an over the top football game that is not really geared to hardcore football fans. Its geared towards 10-18 year olds who want to play a fighting game with some sports mixed in.

Granted, fanatics such as people on this site and others would buy the game on day one, I know I would. But I think everyone else wouldn't jump on board. As much as I hate to say it, the conversion factor , a football fan going into ebgames or gamestop to pick up a football game, is going to choose madden over a potential generic game every time.

Even if they find 500k people to buy the game (which is a ton), thats only 25M in total revenue. R&D costs & wages, and its not really worth it in the end.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
Blitz did okay.
Did you buy it?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
Rookie

It makes no sense. At all. Even if they did make a better game than EA, the name "Madden" itself creates too much hype to be ignored. Without the exclusive rights EA still dominated in the sales department when compared to 2k.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
Did you buy it?
No, because it wasn't 11 on 11, and it wasn't a supposed to be a simulation. What does me buying or not have to do with anything? It sold well enough to make a profit. I didn't buy Madden either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt34652000
It makes no sense. At all. Even if they did make a better game than EA, the name "Madden" itself creates too much hype to be ignored. Without the exclusive rights EA still dominated in the sales department when compared to 2k.
They don't have to beat Madden, they just have to make a decent profit.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »