Home

I need some info

This is a discussion on I need some info within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
I need some info

I'm a little over two years late to the 2K5 party, as admittedly it took me this long to take off my Madden tinted glasses to realize how immersive this game is. W/that said...I picked up a copy for 2.99 at my local EB and have spent the past 5 days de-programming my mind of Madden logic to get used to the gameplay of NFL 2K5. Now that I've gotten used to the gameplay, and I must say it's more realistic than anything I've dealt with in about 10 years of Madden, I'm ready to start a franchise up. I've done detailed searches here at OS and on the 2K forum for all the bugs/glitches to look out for so I won't stumble upon anything unexpectedly.

This is for PS2 btw...

Here's the one's I've found and I just need some extra input if needed to make sure I've not misunderstood something or left something out:

-Draft glitch: CPU only takes certain positions in 1st round and the way around it is to either control all 32 teams or draft one of the positions the CPU teams does to level the field.

-QB @ PR glitch: Kinda conflicted on this one. I've read where this happens only in fantasy draft franchises, but I'm not sure. Just know that it is some sort of depth chart issue.

-Franchise freezing after year 1: I've read umpteen threads on this one ranging from probably bad disks to corrupted rosters, with no definitive answer. So any help on this would be appreciated if there is something I need to avoid doing that will cause the franchise to lock up.

-WR drops: I suppose slider adjustments will fix this, but I saw quite a few threads on this doing a search for other stuff. I did notice on Legend default level it was sorta hit/miss. So I don't know if this is really worth noting.

-In game sub feature flaw: Not really sure, but I saw some threads where guys were saying not to use it, just use the depth chart.

-Weekly gameplan: Read some threads where some said it was pointless, others say it makes a difference.

...those were the main ones I could think of off the top of my head with my main concern being the possibility of a franchise lockup. If anyone could give me some extra info on these or something else I need to look out for I would greatly appreciate it because I've fallen in love with this game...2 years late. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: I need some info

Draft – CPU will take a QB, RB, T or DE in the first round. Just pick one of those and everything’s even.

QB @ PR – Someone apparently found a fix the other day. Check the threads.

Freezes – I still feel the issue is CPU teams get screwed up after drafting, trading, etc. Maybe the QB @ PR fix will help with that. Past that, controlling all teams and making sure their lineups stay in order might work as well.

WR drops – Even with Catch ratings @ 125, I notice User players still drop lots of passes. Apparently manual catching helps. I’m just no good at it so it’s hard for me to say if it does make any difference.

Subs – Yeah, don’t use the in-game sub screen, period. Custom playbooks with subs already in place works.

Weekly gameplan – there’s a problem with player progression on the game. Basically, it’s entirely pre-determined, so players like Eli Manning will be rated in the 90’s after year 3, while others – Philip Rivers is one I believe – won’t ever progress more than a few points in his entire career.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks baa...very much appreciated

Looks like I'll just heed the advice of ignoring the weekly gameplan. I'll also look for the thread on the QB@PR fix if this has any tie in to a potential franchise lockup. If all else fails, I'll just control all 32 teams. I just have to find a suitable quarter length on Legend level and I'll be good to go.

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

No problem. I never tested weekly gameplan. What I did is sim many seasons, a number of times, to see how certain players progress. No question with that method, players fall into a couple of groups: those who will become stars, and those who will gain anywhere from 3-10 points over the course of their career. And it's the same players every time.

As I recall, a few people insisted that weekly gameplan can help boost some players' progression/ratings. While that's possible, I find it hard to believe it would help much - a few points maybe. And I say that because the players who were meant to progress, made huge, obvious leaps in their ratings each year. Not saying you shouldn't try it - just filling you in on some of the facts
Old 08-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

As far as the WR drops, the only thing I can say is that completion seems better when the QB gets set and hits the WR on the timing pattern where he should. Otherwise, the factors may be a higher rated DB in your area or right on you as well as consistency for the given WR not being as high.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

I'VE BEEN ON PS2 FOR THE WHOLE 3 YEARS
1.the cpu only draft those positions in the first round.but after the first round everythings OK.

2.never seen no cpu pr glitch

3.the franchise locks up once in every 10 franchises started,so you might start a game and it has no franchise glitches to happen in it but just save two of them....so if the freeze is in sports center let's say in week 6 you just don't watch sports center that week..if the glitch is in a game the you'll have to sim that one game or start over and try to play it..
The glitch that occurs 8/10 times have a way to get over it and then once you get over it,it won't happen again.

4.wr's do drop balls in the real nfl. it would be unrealistic to catch everything.i have no problem with that maybe madden players feel every ball should be caught.

5 no flaw with in game subs....at all (in the play offs cpu changes your depth chart but you just change it back.)

6.WEEKLY GAMEPLAN...(little help)monday-give all positions 2 sets of films and then give those who realy need work weights. tuesday-friday...give 1st.2nd and 3rd team drills..then left over hours give 2different positons drills to your offense then defense then offense then defense.so tuesday..(an offense day) wednesday(a defense day)and so and so on

example..tuesday..1st,2nd,3rd team drills
then q'b.pass mechanics & routes and progression....wr's..hand positioning & pattern depth.then next te,g,t,c,hb,fb... wednesday.1st,2nd,3rd,start with your defense..de,and so on so on;
Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
As far as the WR drops, the only thing I can say is that completion seems better when the QB gets set and hits the WR on the timing pattern where he should. Otherwise, the factors may be a higher rated DB in your area or right on you as well as consistency for the given WR not being as high.

yep also..the stamina of the qb and wr at the time of the pass....plus if the wr or qb's consistency is low...come on give this game more credit this game is beautifull
Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Pro

The WR drops was just something I happened to see some threads on when I was doing searches for possible issues with the game. Like I said in my original post, after many hours of playing this game on Legend level default, the WR drops seemed to be pretty much hit or miss. The ability to manual catch or lack thereof on my part has to be considered as well I guess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »