Home

IF 2k made a new football game...

This is a discussion on IF 2k made a new football game... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What type of game engine would you want?
Don't fix what isn't broken...use the 2k4-2k5 engine. 18 60.00%
Time for a brand new engine. 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
IF 2k made a new football game...

What would you expect in terms of the game's engine? The 2k4-2k5 engine was pretty good...it had pretty good collision detection, player interaction, and gang tackling physics (most would say that it's still more advanced than what EA uses). But then again, some of the demos for Natural Motion technology look very promising. Would it be better to start a new engine from scratch or build upon what they already have? We have seen instances where a ported engine does better than a brand new one (NBA 2K vs NBA Live).

Last edited by thejackal25; 10-15-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: IF 2k made a new football game...

I expect a next gen game that looks and plays like a next gen game. Also, error free shouldnt be asking too much. 3 years of development time should be plenty.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I assume that "Don't fix" means don't start over from the ground up, but still enhance/improve. Certainly I would want them to address DB play, and there is a bit of a "swivel" when RB's change direction etc.

But I wouldn't want them to start over. These days, when video games start from scratch, you are looking at at least 2-3 years before it is really playable.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I assume that "Don't fix" means don't start over from the ground up, but still enhance/improve. Certainly I would want them to address DB play, and there is a bit of a "swivel" when RB's change direction etc.

But I wouldn't want them to start over. These days, when video games start from scratch, you are looking at at least 2-3 years before it is really playable.
Yes, that's what I meant...tweak it like their NBA engine to make it tighter and address specific issues in the game rather than starting from the ground up. I agree that DB play needs to be addressed, as does QB passing...make both more like 2k4 than 2k5, and probably make the momentum somewhere in between 2k4 and 2k5.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Considering that the engine was great (although I prefered 2K4 to 2K5 because there were fewer issues), that they've had better success with tweaked engines (NBA and NHL) than new engine (MLB) and that creating a generic game is a risk in itself, I can't see them spending the money to create a brand new engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »