Home

drafted rookies problem

This is a discussion on drafted rookies problem within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
drafted rookies problem

So i simmed through a season just to see how the draft would turn out with the new updated rosters and wasnt very happy.

1st, the mock draft had every team pick a DE except for about 4 teams, one of which was choosen to pick a T and the other 3 a DT.

2nd, the highest rated rookie was 75 and a majority of the others were 50 and below, including ALL of my picks

Is there any solution to these problems with an editor or any thing else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: drafted rookies problem

Problem #1 is a known issue with the first draft round, and can't be fixed. Problem #2 can be fixed if you don't mind editing players pre-draft -- which the game allows you to do.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Rookie

Well i guess editing the players so i dont end up with an overall 25 rated QB drafted 3rd round isnt a problem. Do these problems exist throughout the entire franchise???
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynoT99
So i simmed through a season just to see how the draft would turn out with the new updated rosters and wasnt very happy.

1st, the mock draft had every team pick a DE except for about 4 teams, one of which was choosen to pick a T and the other 3 a DT.

2nd, the highest rated rookie was 75 and a majority of the others were 50 and below, including ALL of my picks

Is there any solution to these problems with an editor or any thing else?
The first problem is the draft glitch, where the CPU only takes QBs, Ts, DEs, and HBs in the 1st round.

Solution: Turn on user control for every team prior to the draft. Manually select 1st round picks for every team based on BPA and team needs. Save the file, and make the other teams CPU controlled again. Reload the franchise save and complete the draft. The rest of the draft will continue without a hitch, the CPU will have appropriately selected first rounders, and you will be very familiar with every single team's first pick. W/o making this adjustment, selecting QBs, DEs, Ts, and HBs after the first round will give you very poorly rated players as all the good to decent ones were snatched up early.

The second problem is not one I'm familiar with. After hundreds of hours playing this game, I actually think the players coming out of the 2k draft are pretty good. For starters, the player ratings right after the draft usually aren't what they are when the season actually starts. I drafted a guard one year in the 3rd round. After the draft he was a 78. After preseason, on the opening day, he was all the way up to an 88. So wait until after the preseason to see how the rookies really are.

Secondly, make sure you're using the rookie report to see how players are ranked. You can exit the draft at any time to see the rookie report in the ESPN.com section. It is kind of a pain to exit the draft just to check how players are rated, but it makes things a lot easier since inside the draft all the rookies are just listed alphabetically, unlike in 2k4 where they were listed by ranking. If you try to balance taking the BPA and addressing team needs, you should end up with a very solid draft. Most rookies except for are rated between 60-80 on the game...unless you choose players that are really far down on the rankings.

Another thing you can do is look at who has already been drafted. You can view the ratings of rookies just selected by using the right thumbstick click, while looking at the selection history. If you're torn between taking an OLB and a C, and you see that the last OLB taken was rated an 80 and the last C taken was a 65, you can make an educated guess that the OLB and C just under those selections in the rookie report rankings will be just below them. I've used this method to get a decent estimate of what a player's potential rating might be.

Hope this helps. Trust me, if you pay attention to the rookie report while drafting, pay attention to the picks the CPU makes, and don't reach for positions of need, you can get some really good finds late in the draft. If you put time into the draft, you can find yourself finding a 70 rated QB in the 6th round rather than a 25 rated QB in the 3rd. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Rookie

Well as i was going through the rookies (pre-draft) i selected to edit them. I noticed many rookies had really weird stats. I'd say about 80% of the QB's had speed ratings of 80 or higher and Pass Strength Accurcay and Read Coverage lower 30.

Using the Finns editor with 2006 schedules, could that have messed with the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Well as i was going through the rookies (pre-draft) i selected to edit them. I noticed many rookies had really weird stats. I'd say about 80% of the QB's had speed ratings of 80 or higher and Pass Strength Accurcay and Read Coverage lower 30.

Using the Finns editor with 2006 schedules, could that have messed with the game?
Don't know what's up with your franchise file. Looking through ratings from my franchise file, most QBs have Pass Strength, Accuracy, and Read Coverage above 70, with only a handful of them rated in the 50s and 60s, with the lowest in each category being 53, 55, and 52 respectively. And I don't have a single guy over an 80 in speed. The fastest is 77. In over a dozen franchise years I've only seen 3 drafted QBs get drafted with over 80 speed...though each year there seem to be some undrafted QBs with great speed and no arm whatsoever. Don't know what's up with your file man...any chance you could post it as an attachment so some of us can check it out and see if we can find out what's wrong?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Rookie

Not all positions are being affected, I've noticed alot of Tackles with good ratings, 86 being the highest, a couple of good cornerbacks, 76 the highest. I've only looked at a few positions, the affected positions i have seen are QB, HB, S, and LB. My Qb's ratings are usually as follows:

Spd - 80-88
PAcc - 20-35
PStr - 19-35
PRC - 10-25
Ldr - 10-40
Scrm - 19

I looked through the big board and the mock draft, checked out the college stas produced and found a SS that looked to be a good pick, only thing wrong was the combine results which were obviously bad because of the rating problem. Hoping what you said would happen (ratings jump based on preseason performance), i drafted him. His overall rating was 0. He did nothing in preseason to improve his stats with only a few tackles.

I had one kicker get drafted with a 24 OVR by another team. I simmed his rookie season. He made OROTY with 37 FGA, 8 FGM. This is a huge problem

Take this franchise file, its the one I have been using but is only in Week 2 right now. Sim it to offseason and check it out.

Thanks for the help
Attached Files
File Type: zip ESPNNFL2K5_KC.zip (320.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by RhynoT99; 11-23-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Not all positions are being affected, I've noticed alot of Tackles with good ratings, 86 being the highest, a couple of good cornerbacks, 76 the highest. I've only looked at a few positions, the affected positions i have seen are QB, HB, S, and LB. My Qb's ratings are usually as follows:

Spd - 80-88
PAcc - 20-35
PStr - 19-35
PRC - 10-25
Ldr - 10-40
Scrm - 19

I looked through the big board and the mock draft, checked out the college stas produced and found a SS that looked to be a good pick, only thing wrong was the combine results which were obviously bad because of the rating problem. Hoping what you said would happen (ratings jump based on preseason performance), i drafted him. His overall rating was 0. He did nothing in preseason to improve his stats with only a few tackles.

I had one kicker get drafted with a 24 OVR by another team. I simmed his rookie season. He made OROTY with 37 FGA, 8 FGM. This is a huge problem

Take this franchise file, its the one I have been using but is only in Week 2 right now. Sim it to offseason and check it out.

Thanks for the help
Dang!!! I didn't even have to sim it to offseason, I just opened it in Finn's editor, and you weren't kidding. Everything is all messed up in this file. Only thing I noticed is that you have large attribute values on, and you're using a roster that has the 64/127 aggresive mode on it. I'm pretty sure these are better to use just for exhibition. I think the global edits done to this roster, in conjunction with the large attribute values is what is causing your problems. I've only used rosters w/o global edits and the aggressive mode and they've worked great. Try a different roster w/o these edits and start a franchise w/ it...I think that should fix the problem.

If you need an idea of which rosters to use, try either jmeu's nonaggressive ones or slapnutz...I personally don't know if these are affected files though, but I know they don't have global edits. The file I've used that has worked is convince's roster file, and it has no problems with it. Good luck...let me know how that works rhyno.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »