Home

Performance EQ question

This is a discussion on Performance EQ question within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Performance EQ question

You still haven't told us how you like it. Yes, No or verdict still out on it for you? I'll probably be back to playing this game again seeing as how my 360 just went on vacation with an all expense paid round trip ticket to microsoft's repair center. I just hope that the obvious DVD drive malfunction is the only problem with it.

Now I have to re-learn all the controls again after being stained with playing Madden all this time.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Does EQ help defenders with the corner route?
I have always used that route sparingly, but I didn't realize how money it was until last night when I ran an experiment. I went 10 for 12 running corner routes with Kitna and Aaron Brooks, and 3 straight TD drives. I now have a new house rule...no corner routes...which kind of sucks.

I had tried EQ a few times, but in my limited experience, it seemed to even things out a bit too much....I want the Pats to be tougher than the Lions the majority of the time. However I think I need to give it another shot based upon the suggestions here.

Last edited by Cardot; 01-24-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #19
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
How does it improve the DB AI? Does the DB AI stop backpeddling when in coverage or at least lessen it? That drives me nuts sometimes.

Also, I love playing with the Colts. Their playbook is the second best that I have seen behind the Eagles. In my 2k6 roster file, I have them rated 90 overall. When I play division rival, Tennessee Titans (who are rated 77 overall), will there be more of a challenge?

Or how about the Browns (who are rated 75 overall) who I once blew out 80 something to 10 or something and threw 10 TD's with Manning? All on Legend as is with 5 minute quarters.

I'm trying to figure out if playing with Performance EQ on will give me more of a challenge in franchise mode since I always assumed that it was just meant for human versus human play.

Thanks.

I'll ask you the same thing. How does the DB AI improve? Does it limit the amount of times when the CB's backpeddle?

Will playing with a 100 rated Manning, a 95 rated James, a 98 rated Harrison and a 85 rated Wayne in my 2k6 roster against an 62 rated Titans defense become more balanced and even? Colts offense is 95.

I always assumed that EQ was to balance out human versus human play and just want some examples from you guys while you were playing your respective franchises.

Thanks.

it works like this.. every players stats are based on the number 80.. Every rating uses 80 as the medium number.. So half of the Difference is added to the stat.. Confusing..lol yes but when you see the examples it makes sence

Example.. if a player is rated 70 for speed.. Hes ten away from 80.. so half of ten is 5 ...so 5 points is added.. and the new rating is 75 speed

So if a O lineman is rated 50 for pass blocking.. thats 30 points to get him to 80.. so half of 30 is 15... Now the new rating is 65 for pass blocking

it was posted on NFL2k a few years ago.. Some of the programmers used to come in and explain things we didnt understand..

Performance EQ does it to every rating.. except the overall rating, which changes cause of the adding or subtracting of stats... Also you will not see a rating change if you look at the ratings, in game.. its like a slider you cant see it but its there...I love performance eq

So you wont make peyton manning.. ryan leaf.. or make Coy Detmer into Peyton manning

Last edited by adriano; 01-25-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 15

Well, I finished my Colts one year franchise. I finished undefeated and won the SB over the Saints. The things that I noticed with EQ on is that the "crappy" teams seemed to be at times tougher then the good to great teams. The DB AI is tighter but I still noticed the safeties at times backpeddling to a receiver. It was quite funny to watch sometimes because looking at the safety backpeddle, you would think that the offense should be on the opposite side in order to make the safety look like he was backpeddling into coverage. Instead, it looked like he was trying to tackle me backwards. Just weird. Overall, I never was able to go undefeated before with Indy but did now. Of course, I went undefeated with Philly with EQ off so I think when playing, it's sometimes just about if you're lucky or not.

Anyway, here's the rest of my scores -

Week 7: @ HOU / W 28-14
Week 8: BYE
Week 9: @ NE / W 9-0
Week 10: vs HOU / W 24-21
Week 11: @ CIN / W 35-3
Week 12: vs PIT / W 35-14
Week 13: vs TEN / W 21-14
Week 14: @ JAX / W 35-7
Week 15: vs SD / W 20-0
Week 16: @ SEA / W 28-21
Week 17: vs ARZ / W 17-14

Notes -

In my win over NE, they were losing 6-0 and I was about to score a TD but James fumbled and NE recoverd. I got back the ball and was able to hit another FG late and held on for a 9-0 win.

HOU played me tough in my dome. It was close the entire game but I was able to win by running out the clock.

TEN also played me tough but not tough enough.

SEA was a pain at first. They lead 14-0 but I was able to outscore them 28-7 after that and held on for the 28-21 win.

ARZ lead 7-0. I came back and lead 17-7. James fumbled and ARZ later scored a TD of his fumble. They then recovered the onside kick but then turned the ball over on downs.

Playoffs -

Divisional: vs KC / W 17-7

KC had chances to score more points but Tynes missed two FG's. One was 26 and wide right. The other was 25 and hit the left upright no good.

AFC Championship: vs NE / W 16-7

This was a close game throughout. NE lead 7-0 and I later took the lead 14-7. I had a chance to score another TD but once again James fumbled and NE recovered at their own one yard line. I blitzed Brady and he evaded Thornton but June sacked him for the safety. NE punted me the ball and I was able to run out the clock.

NFL Super Bowl XL: vs NO at Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Saints beat the Eagles 24-17 in Philly to advance to the SB. The first half was horrible for Manning. I threw two INT's and was sacked once. NO lead 13-7 at the half. Brooks actually outplayed Manning in the first half but that didnt last as Manning came back in the second half to throw 4 TD's and no INT's. Brooks on the other hand threw 3 INT's in the second half. I ended up blowing them out 35-13.

Season stats -

Manning: 274 / 413 (66%), 4225 yards, 45 TD's, 15 INT's, 5 sacks, 121.2 QB rating.

I was on fire with Manning after my bye week. I threw around 28 TD's or so and only 6 INT's.

James: 224 / 1135 yards (5.1 avg), 6 TD's, 6 fumbles (2 lost)

James is a damn good power runner but he fumbles too much despite having an 80 rating for secure ball. He almost screwed me in a few games but luckily I was able to overcome his turnovers.

Harrison: 116 rec, 2332 yards, 18 TD's
Wayne: 78 rec, 958 yards, 22 TD's
Clark: 57 rec, 684 yards, 5 TD's

Freeney: 26.5 sacks
Simon: 10.5 sacks
52 sacks total

Sanders / Doss: 4 interceptions each
19 interceptions total

Vanderjagt: 18 / 18 FG's (100%), 54 / 54 xpts (100%), 108 total points
Smith: 10 / 455 (45.5 avg), 4 touchbacks, 3 inside the 20

NFL MVP: QB Peyton Manning

Playoffs -

Manning: 44/65 (68%), 623 yards, 6 TD's, 4 INT's, 4 sacks, 103.6 QB rating
James: 47 / 254 (5.4 avg), 3 TD's, 2 fumbles (2 lost)
Harrison: 21 / 351, 3 TD's
Wayne: 13 / 152, 3 TD's

Freeney: 4 sacks
7 sacks total

Doss: 3 interceptions
5 interceptions total

Vanderjagt: 1 / 1 FG, 9 / 9 xpts, 12 total points
Smith: 1 / 35

NFL Super Bowl XL MVP: WR Marvin Harrison

Harrison: 13 rec, 227 yards, 3 TD's
Manning: 22 / 30, 336 yards, 5 TD's, 2 INT's, 2 sacks

I think that's pretty much it. As for me playing with EQ on from now on, im not sure. I honestly think that if the CPU wants you to lose, you will no matter what you do. The DB AI was tighter overall. I won by 10 or more points in 10 out of my 19 games. There were a few games where I won by less then 10 points that I normally would blow out (basically the crappy teams) and blew out a few opponents where I normally would have close games (CIN and PIT). I think that I would have lost to NE in the AFC championship game if it wasnt for that sack / safety. The CPU seemed to always make James fumble at the worst time. EQ seems more like it's "catchup AI" then actually balancing out the teams but then again, who the hell really knows. The more I think about it, the more i'm probably going to just continue playing with EQ off because in all the franchises that I have played, I only went undefeated once (Eagles) where as I went undefeated with the Colts playing with EQ on for the first time.

Oh yeah, subbing in TE Snow as the LS and P Smith as the holder didnt do a damn thing. I wish that there were botched snaps / holds and stuff but oh well. And fake field goals / punts by the CPU. I have only seen the CPU attempt a fake punt and I think it was in a quick game. 2k4 had more CPU fakes but oh well, still beats playing crappy Madden. Then again, playing any NFL video game beats playing Madden.

Anyway, that's pretty much it and thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
it works like this.. every players stats are based on the number 80.. Every rating uses 80 as the medium number.. So half of the Difference is added to the stat.. Confusing..lol yes but when you see the examples it makes sence

Example.. if a player is rated 70 for speed.. Hes ten away from 80.. so half of ten is 5 ...so 5 points is added.. and the new rating is 75 speed

So if a O lineman is rated 50 for pass blocking.. thats 30 points to get him to 80.. so half of 30 is 15... Now the new rating is 65 for pass blocking

it was posted on NFL2k a few years ago.. Some of the programmers used to come in and explain things we didnt understand..

Performance EQ does it to every rating.. except the overall rating, which changes cause of the adding or subtracting of stats... Also you will not see a rating change if you look at the ratings, in game.. its like a slider you cant see it but its there...I love performance eq

So you wont make peyton manning.. ryan leaf.. or make Coy Detmer into Peyton manning
What happens if an attribute is 90? Does it then become 85 so to speak? If so, then it definitely seems like EQ just balances out everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Well, I finished my Colts one year franchise. I finished undefeated and won the SB over the Saints. The things that I noticed with EQ on is that the "crappy" teams seemed to be at times tougher then the good to great teams. The DB AI is tighter but I still noticed the safeties at times backpeddling to a receiver. It was quite funny to watch sometimes because looking at the safety backpeddle, you would think that the offense should be on the opposite side in order to make the safety look like he was backpeddling into coverage. Instead, it looked like he was trying to tackle me backwards. Just weird. Overall, I never was able to go undefeated before with Indy but did now. Of course, I went undefeated with Philly with EQ off so I think when playing, it's sometimes just about if you're lucky or not.

Anyway, here's the rest of my scores -

Week 7: @ HOU / W 28-14
Week 8: BYE
Week 9: @ NE / W 9-0
Week 10: vs HOU / W 24-21
Week 11: @ CIN / W 35-3
Week 12: vs PIT / W 35-14
Week 13: vs TEN / W 21-14
Week 14: @ JAX / W 35-7
Week 15: vs SD / W 20-0
Week 16: @ SEA / W 28-21
Week 17: vs ARZ / W 17-14

Notes -

In my win over NE, they were losing 6-0 and I was about to score a TD but James fumbled and NE recoverd. I got back the ball and was able to hit another FG late and held on for a 9-0 win.

HOU played me tough in my dome. It was close the entire game but I was able to win by running out the clock.

TEN also played me tough but not tough enough.

SEA was a pain at first. They lead 14-0 but I was able to outscore them 28-7 after that and held on for the 28-21 win.

ARZ lead 7-0. I came back and lead 17-7. James fumbled and ARZ later scored a TD of his fumble. They then recovered the onside kick but then turned the ball over on downs.

Playoffs -

Divisional: vs KC / W 17-7

KC had chances to score more points but Tynes missed two FG's. One was 26 and wide right. The other was 25 and hit the left upright no good.

AFC Championship: vs NE / W 16-7

This was a close game throughout. NE lead 7-0 and I later took the lead 14-7. I had a chance to score another TD but once again James fumbled and NE recovered at their own one yard line. I blitzed Brady and he evaded Thornton but June sacked him for the safety. NE punted me the ball and I was able to run out the clock.

NFL Super Bowl XL: vs NO at Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Saints beat the Eagles 24-17 in Philly to advance to the SB. The first half was horrible for Manning. I threw two INT's and was sacked once. NO lead 13-7 at the half. Brooks actually outplayed Manning in the first half but that didnt last as Manning came back in the second half to throw 4 TD's and no INT's. Brooks on the other hand threw 3 INT's in the second half. I ended up blowing them out 35-13.

Season stats -

Manning: 274 / 413 (66%), 4225 yards, 45 TD's, 15 INT's, 5 sacks, 121.2 QB rating.

I was on fire with Manning after my bye week. I threw around 28 TD's or so and only 6 INT's.

James: 224 / 1135 yards (5.1 avg), 6 TD's, 6 fumbles (2 lost)

James is a damn good power runner but he fumbles too much despite having an 80 rating for secure ball. He almost screwed me in a few games but luckily I was able to overcome his turnovers.

Harrison: 116 rec, 2332 yards, 18 TD's
Wayne: 78 rec, 958 yards, 22 TD's
Clark: 57 rec, 684 yards, 5 TD's

Freeney: 26.5 sacks
Simon: 10.5 sacks
52 sacks total

Sanders / Doss: 4 interceptions each
19 interceptions total

Vanderjagt: 18 / 18 FG's (100%), 54 / 54 xpts (100%), 108 total points
Smith: 10 / 455 (45.5 avg), 4 touchbacks, 3 inside the 20

NFL MVP: QB Peyton Manning

Playoffs -

Manning: 44/65 (68%), 623 yards, 6 TD's, 4 INT's, 4 sacks, 103.6 QB rating
James: 47 / 254 (5.4 avg), 3 TD's, 2 fumbles (2 lost)
Harrison: 21 / 351, 3 TD's
Wayne: 13 / 152, 3 TD's

Freeney: 4 sacks
7 sacks total

Doss: 3 interceptions
5 interceptions total

Vanderjagt: 1 / 1 FG, 9 / 9 xpts, 12 total points
Smith: 1 / 35

NFL Super Bowl XL MVP: WR Marvin Harrison

Harrison: 13 rec, 227 yards, 3 TD's
Manning: 22 / 30, 336 yards, 5 TD's, 2 INT's, 2 sacks

I think that's pretty much it. As for me playing with EQ on from now on, im not sure. I honestly think that if the CPU wants you to lose, you will no matter what you do. The DB AI was tighter overall. I won by 10 or more points in 10 out of my 19 games. There were a few games where I won by less then 10 points that I normally would blow out (basically the crappy teams) and blew out a few opponents where I normally would have close games (CIN and PIT). I think that I would have lost to NE in the AFC championship game if it wasnt for that sack / safety. The CPU seemed to always make James fumble at the worst time. EQ seems more like it's "catchup AI" then actually balancing out the teams but then again, who the hell really knows. The more I think about it, the more i'm probably going to just continue playing with EQ off because in all the franchises that I have played, I only went undefeated once (Eagles) where as I went undefeated with the Colts playing with EQ on for the first time.

Oh yeah, subbing in TE Snow as the LS and P Smith as the holder didnt do a damn thing. I wish that there were botched snaps / holds and stuff but oh well. And fake field goals / punts by the CPU. I have only seen the CPU attempt a fake punt and I think it was in a quick game. 2k4 had more CPU fakes but oh well, still beats playing crappy Madden. Then again, playing any NFL video game beats playing Madden.

Anyway, that's pretty much it and thanks to everyone who replied.
Glad you tried it. From what it sounds like you had more realistic scoring, not even scoring in the 40s whereas you used to score in the 80s. I think that alone shows a lot of improvement. But I do understand what you mean about blowing out some of the better teams and having some close games w/ bad teams. Some house rules that I use that you can consider if you're looking for good close games w/o messing w/ sliders:

1. Don't rush as the DE. It's far too easy to get sacks in 2k5 w/ the DE. I think most 2k5 veterans play as either an LB or a S, and the most difficult position to play is CB, tho I may be mistaken. If you do play on the Dline, don't move the players out of position except for making shifts for the whole line.

2. Don't throw corner routes, especially to WRs. The corner is money on this game, so I pretty much don't use it at all. I only allow myself to throw a corner route to a WR once per half.

3. Don't run w/ the QB. It's way too easy to get an automatic 5-7 yards w/ a QB every single time you take off, even if you have a slow QB. If I do run it's only after using the QB evade on the first tackler and I do not press the A button once I cross the line.

4. Don't call the same passing plays all the time. I only call the same passing play a couple times per half. I try to use a good chunk of the playbook (minus the trick plays) every single game.

5. Don't use multiple hot routes. I found that when I was able to completely change every single one of my player's routes after making a presnap read it was just too easy to shred the defense apart.

6. Audible according to the QB you have. I play as Alex Smith and the 9ers, and in all reality Alex doesn't audible very much, so I hardly ever audible out of my selected play. If I don't like what I see, then I choose to burn a timeout rather than audible. If I was playing as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady then I'd have no problem calling several audibles a game. I really think 2k needs to include a rating for audible ability in their future games (if there ever are any). This way when a poor QB tries to audible a lot some of his other players are more subject to running different routes or commiting a false start.

Anyway those are just some of my ingame house rules that I use to make the game play a bit better (for my tastes at least). I don't know if you do similar things or not, but if you're still looking for ways to make the game feel more "sim" w/o messing w/ sliders then look for ways to change how you play the game, cuz 2k5, like most other sports games, is full of exploits and money plays.

And as posted before, I'm pretty sure 2k5 doesn't have "catchup AI" for performance EQ...it's simply just a balancing of ratings to compress the spectrum between the lousy players and super players.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
What happens if an attribute is 90? Does it then become 85 so to speak? If so, then it definitely seems like EQ just balances out everything.
yes.. but it really helps the ratings that are wayyy off like a O lineman with a 30 consistancy.. now the rating would be 55.. it wont make him a all star but at least hes serviceable..if the ratings were balance you wouldnt need to do this..

Speed ratings are kind of off to begin with.. any player over 90 is BS...thats like a 40rty time under 4 secs.

Speed doesnt account the speed burst button.. Any player whos speed is an 80 can easily run a 4.4 fourty
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
Glad you tried it. From what it sounds like you had more realistic scoring, not even scoring in the 40s whereas you used to score in the 80s. I think that alone shows a lot of improvement. But I do understand what you mean about blowing out some of the better teams and having some close games w/ bad teams. Some house rules that I use that you can consider if you're looking for good close games w/o messing w/ sliders:
Until you just posted it, I didnt even realize that I didnt score at least 40 points in any game. The 80+ points that I scored was only a one time thing against the Browns where I passed for 10 TD's with Manning but most of the TD's were in the 4th quarter when the Browns kept going for it on 4th down and didnt convert. Quite honestly, my final score should have been in the 30's or 40's but with so many chances inside the 20, I ran up the score. I'll score in the 40's a few times a season but rarely have I ever gone past the 40's.

Quote:
1. Don't rush as the DE. It's far too easy to get sacks in 2k5 w/ the DE. I think most 2k5 veterans play as either an LB or a S, and the most difficult position to play is CB, tho I may be mistaken. If you do play on the Dline, don't move the players out of position except for making shifts for the whole line.
I play as the DE because im horrible playing as a LB due to the game's momentum. I normally just play as my top DE and just rush the QB. I dont move any of my DL out of position but I do shift them as a whole. I do sometimes play as a safety when im blitzing but more times then not, it usually backfires on me. The funny thing is that in 2k3, I used a LB all the time because I was used to playing coverage with a LB from 2k1 and getting sacks in 2k3 was nearly impossible to get. I was also able to get INT's with my LB in 2k3.

Quote:
2. Don't throw corner routes, especially to WRs. The corner is money on this game, so I pretty much don't use it at all. I only allow myself to throw a corner route to a WR once per half.
I pass in the middle of the field more times then anywhere else on the field during a game which is why I throw a high amount of INT's. I have a set amount of plays that I use with the Colts, Eagles, Dolphins, 49ers, etc. because I feel comfortable running them.

Quote:
3. Don't run w/ the QB. It's way too easy to get an automatic 5-7 yards w/ a QB every single time you take off, even if you have a slow QB. If I do run it's only after using the QB evade on the first tackler and I do not press the A button once I cross the line.
I only run with QB's who can scramble like McNabb, Culpepper, etc. I'm not even half of say Michael Vick but when I play with Philly, I will run with McNabb at times. Honestly, I would rather run with McNabb if I need to convert a critical 3rd down conversion instead of passing because im also worried that my WR will drop the damn pass. I'll get 200 or so yards rushing but I would rather pass. Having that scrambling QB who can run and pass is a double positive when playing. I had a few runs with Manning but nothing major. The only big run I had was an 8 yard run up the middle for a TD. The defense blitzed from the outside and the middle was wide open so I simply took off. Manning is a pure pocket passer though.

Quote:
4. Don't call the same passing plays all the time. I only call the same passing play a couple times per half. I try to use a good chunk of the playbook (minus the trick plays) every single game.
Like I previously mentioned, I only use a set amount of certain plays because im comfortable running them. Whenever I try a play that I never or rarely have ever used, something negative happens, so I pretty much just stay with my set amount of plays.

Quote:
5. Don't use multiple hot routes. I found that when I was able to completely change every single one of my player's routes after making a presnap read it was just too easy to shred the defense apart.
I dont use hot routes at all so this doesnt apply to me.

Quote:
6. Audible according to the QB you have. I play as Alex Smith and the 9ers, and in all reality Alex doesn't audible very much, so I hardly ever audible out of my selected play. If I don't like what I see, then I choose to burn a timeout rather than audible. If I was playing as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady then I'd have no problem calling several audibles a game. I really think 2k needs to include a rating for audible ability in their future games (if there ever are any). This way when a poor QB tries to audible a lot some of his other players are more subject to running different routes or commiting a false start.
I dont even setup my audibles for each game since im too lazy to do so. In game, I only audible if im not comfortable with the passing play that im about to run. Also, I usually audible a pass into a run and play it safe at times. I would say that I maybe audible about 8 plays or so a game.

Quote:
Anyway those are just some of my ingame house rules that I use to make the game play a bit better (for my tastes at least). I don't know if you do similar things or not, but if you're still looking for ways to make the game feel more "sim" w/o messing w/ sliders then look for ways to change how you play the game, cuz 2k5, like most other sports games, is full of exploits and money plays.

And as posted before, I'm pretty sure 2k5 doesn't have "catchup AI" for performance EQ...it's simply just a balancing of ratings to compress the spectrum between the lousy players and super players.
At times during certain games, it did seem like playing with EQ on made the CPU catch up at times. It most likely doesnt work that way but it did seem like it at times.

Thanks for the suggestions and your feedback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »