Home

Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges.

This is a discussion on Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Two words: PC Version.
agreed, doubtful though. Isn't 2k8 only going to be on next-gen systems? What about ps2 and xbox (last-gen/current gen)?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I'm going to have to disagree. The level of customization you guys are describing would appeal to few thousand hardcore gamers, but the amount of work your describing would be a complete turnoff to the majority of gamers.

Customization is fine, but if the game doesn't also include a compelling and believable league structure out of the box I believe it will fail.
The amount of work consists of downloading an option file from the internet, like you would a roster file, and uploading it to your game. It may be a lot of work for those that are creating the file, but if the Winning Eleven/NFL 2K5/MVP 2005 communities are any indicator, it will get done.

I'd liken the option file to the roster file craze we see around here when College Hoops or NCAA Football are released. Very few are willing to do the work themselves, but practically everyone wants the file.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
The amount of work consists of downloading an option file from the internet, like you would a roster file, and uploading it to your game. It may be a lot of work for those that are creating the file, but if the Winning Eleven/NFL 2K5/MVP 2005 communities are any indicator, it will get done.

I'd liken the option file to the roster file craze we see around here when College Hoops or NCAA Football are released. Very few are willing to do the work themselves, but practically everyone wants the file.
Practically everyone here wants them, but the vast majority of gamers don't even know that roster updates exist.

The fact is most console gamers don't play online, don't frequent message boards, and wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the kind of updates you describe. In order to appeal to regular gamers, 2k8 must be an engrossing and enjoyable experience out of the box.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Practically everyone here wants them, but the vast majority of gamers don't even know that roster updates exist.

The fact is most console gamers don't play online, don't frequent message boards, and wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the kind of updates you describe. In order to appeal to regular gamers, 2k8 must be an engrossing and enjoyable experience out of the box.
If they dont know the file exist then they want miss anything. They will play the game for what it is. Whats your point Coog? The roster files are for the hardcore fans that want NFL rosters & dont want to play Madden.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
If they dont know the file exist then they want miss anything. They will play the game for what it is. Whats your point Coog? The roster files are for the hardcore fans that want NFL rosters & dont want to play Madden.
I thought my point was pretty clear-VC can't depend on the gaming community to add the personality the game needs to succeed.

Customization needs to be an option, not a requirement.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:

If this were the year 2000, then I'd probably agree with your statement. With the advancements of the internet, online gaming, and the availability of technology as a whole, I wouldn't make the claim that it's a vast majority of gamers who are unaware about roster updates. Sure the number is large, but it's decreasing by the day. For anyone that owns a PS3, it's quite possible to stumble upon the Playstation Network due to the system's WiFi capabilities.

As for the game appealing to customers, isn't that every developer's intention? The NFL sure is appealing. Why not give gamers the ability to recreate the NFL, or something similar, with full customization?

What was the last football game, or any sports game for that matter, to release without a franchise or season mode? This has become commonplace in sports games today that there's really no need to discuss if it's included or not.

Last edited by Sully; 01-31-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
If this were the year 2000, then I'd probably agree with your statement. With the advancements of the internet, online gaming, and the availability of technology as a whole, I wouldn't make the claim that it's a vast majority of gamers who are unaware about roster updates. Sure the number is large, but it's decreasing by the day. For anyone that owns a PS3, it's quite possible to stumble upon the Playstation Network due to the system's WiFi capabilities.

As for the game appealing to customers, isn't that every developer's intention? The NFL sure is appealing. Why not give gamers the ability to recreate the NFL, or something similar, with full customization?

What was the last game football game, or any sports game for that matter, to release without a franchise or season mode? This has become commonplace in sports games today that there's really no need to discuss if it's included or not.
Well said Sully, I agree with you 100%

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
I thought my point was pretty clear-VC can't depend on the gaming community to add the personality the game needs to succeed.

Customization needs to be an option, not a requirement.
Well I believe that if VC sold 2.5 mil with 2k5 before the licensing deal, that would leave 2.5 mil customers atleast checking for this game. It being customizable is only a plus but I think more than 1/2 will buy it just because it 2k & are fed up with the BS EA has been feeding them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »