Home

My biggest gripe with 2k's football is!

This is a discussion on My biggest gripe with 2k's football is! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: My biggest gripe with 2k's football is!

Biggest gripe - no PC version.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #34
DickDalewood

OVR:

I actually kind of liked tapping the button to sprint... It made it feel like I had more control over my runner's speed...

Old 02-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #35
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
I used to hate the lack of me being able to breakaway on special teams returns....I felt that even when I had a really fast guy I had no accelleration and could never really break away from the D.

I felt the same during the run game, this may be due to having the tap the button for speed.
Honestly (after hearing about it 15 times), this was more a problem of people not knowing how to use the feature than anything else. When you first start running as a rb or returner, you shouldn't be tapping like crazy. Players don't run like that. It makes it harder to cut and is also before picking up momentum so it's like taking Jamal Lewis baby steps. You really shouldn't tap unless you're accelerating into open space or quickly trying to burst away from a defender (and that's even better done charging and then hitting the speed burst once).

I always find it funny when I hear so many people complain about the tapping. The only time tapping should be taxing is the foot race toward the endzone and I think that's the exact play that makes it exciting. I think this is the result of pretty much everyone being a previous madden player at some time and the first thing you do is hit the speed burst. You can actually spend most of a game running without touching the speed burst, and it makes using the other moves easier and more effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Honestly (after hearing about it 15 times), this was more a problem of people not knowing how to use the feature than anything else. When you first start running as a rb or returner, you shouldn't be tapping like crazy. Players don't run like that. It makes it harder to cut and is also before picking up momentum so it's like taking Jamal Lewis baby steps. You really shouldn't tap unless you're accelerating into open space or quickly trying to burst away from a defender (and that's even better done charging and then hitting the speed burst once).

I always find it funny when I hear so many people complain about the tapping. The only time tapping should be taxing is the foot race toward the endzone and I think that's the exact play that makes it exciting. I think this is the result of pretty much everyone being a previous madden player at some time and the first thing you do is hit the speed burst. You can actually spend most of a game running without touching the speed burst, and it makes using the other moves easier and more effective.
Hit the nail right on the head. How often is it that you see players sprinting at full speed? Players usually don't get into a full out sprint unless they have a lot of space around them, and you'll hardly ever see return men and RBs just trying to run around defenses. It's more about making moves to make people miss than just sprinting past people. If you want to run effectively, learn the juke stick and work on making the first couple guys miss...once you have some daylight, then start sprinting. Tapping for speed burst NEEDS to be in APF 2k8 b/c it makes you have to decide whether to sprint or compose yourself to make a move. If it changes, then everyone will just hold down on the speed button while doing everything and it'll take away from the strategy in running.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #37
All Star

OVR: 17

I know, I don't try to go full speed from the get go, but seems like the returner gets tackled every time before he can get any decent acceleration going. Believe me i've tried this all sorts of ways and none seem to work that well for me at least. You might be able to pull it off pretty good, but I know alot of people that can't.

I think the players range of movement needs to be a bit more fluid. Lets say you have a ball carrier and a defender on the field by themself and trying to get around the defender seems a bit herky jerky. This is amplified during the return game IMO. Rarely do any lanes open up, the return game just doesn't seem fluid to me.

Plus I hope the tapping burst is gone, it kinda got on my nerves after a while, they can find a better solution than button mashing. It also makes running feel herky jerky.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #38
MVP

tanis38's Arena

OVR: 9

I loved the tapping for the speed burst (and breaking away from tackles), and holding down the button to charge your move. I hope they keep both systems. At least as options.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog805
My biggest gripe with the 2k series was the constant tapping of the speed burst button... I really hated that, and hope they do away with it for this new game...

anyone else dislike or like this feature..?
I never liked it either. The suggestion I put in the wish list thread was to have the left stick's presure sensitivity control speed. Push on it lightly for a slow trot/skip, push it all the way for sprint, and everything in between.

I never like button mashing where the person with the fastest thumb wins. I won't blame my slow thumbs on anyone, but I always seemed to get caught from behind with even the fastes players. I don't want the speed of my players determined by the speed of my thumb. I like the game being determined by timing, strategy and knowledge of the game.

Incorporating speed burst into left stick movement not only gets rid of the button mashing aspect, but it frees up a button for some other feature. Holding it could still be used to charge. Tapping it can still be used for breaking tackles, but let the outcome be determined by the size & strength of the players along with speed, angles and type of tackle attempted.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #40
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
...on a sweep of exampel you have to read your blocks and the D after the snap and decide if you want to try and sprint to the edge and try to turn the corner or brace for contact if the D is coming.
That could be done with Madden's hold method too. But like I said above, I'd like to see the speed burst button gone altogether.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »