Home

Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements?

This is a discussion on Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
I know adding physics based tackling is what everyone wants, but the processing power needed maybe out of even the next gen consoles league.

How bout they start by adding real ball physics. I mean how many times have we played a football video game where wind has no affect on the passing game? A 30-40 mph wind should make any throw over 10-15 yds near impossible.

If I was 2k I would concentrate on two things. Crowd Interaction(Atomsphere) and Weather Impact.

I want dirty players not just 3 different player models of dirt like madden. I want splashing puddles, real time torn up grass, the ball should get mucked up in crazy weather. Players wearing towels and hand warmers. List goes on.

Atomsphere Atomsphere Atomsphere.
Great point

I'd kill to see a game where every pass is a wobbler (i.e. in Buffalo during the winter or something). The direction you're driving would have a dramatic effect on the passing game in that scenario.

That would be AWESOME

Old 02-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
How bout they start by adding real ball physics. I mean how many times have we played a football video game where wind has no affect on the passing game? A 30-40 mph wind should make any throw over 10-15 yds near impossible.

If I was 2k I would concentrate on two things. Crowd Interaction(Atomsphere) and Weather Impact.

I want dirty players not just 3 different player models of dirt like madden. I want splashing puddles, real time torn up grass, the ball should get mucked up in crazy weather. Players wearing towels and hand warmers. List goes on.

Atomsphere Atomsphere Atomsphere.
USF, I am also a big atmosphere guy. I love the little things. But I don't know if I would want them to go too overboard. How often are games really impacted by the weather to the extent of 30 mph winds? And torn up fields are cool, but those are a thing of the past in the NFL. Even the few stadiums left that do use real grass, they have such advanced drainage systems that they remain green even in a monsoon. The sandbox in Foxboro was an exception....until this year.

With that being said, the wind effect on kicks definatly has some room for improvement of the previous renditions. Kicks would immediately bend from the wind, and then the would go straight from there.

I agree on the realtime effects....especially the lighting. Nothing worse that playing a SuperBowl that ends in sunlight. A west coast superbowl should start under the sun, and end at night time. An east coast superbowl should start at night time.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

To a degree real ball physics is already here - at least on Madden 07 PC (and I imagine elsewhere). You have to have realistic ball physics otherwise kicks off the pole, batted down balls etc would all be pre determined animations, and they're not. They may be results of other pre-determined animations (like the kick, or the swatting motion) but the ball itself moves freely as seen best on fumbles. I'd say the wind impact etc is by choice, in fact doesn't wind play a role in the passing game in NCAA? I'm certain it does on the Xbox anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I think physics based tackling is a bit overrated. Sure it occurs, but it really doesn't take into account the creativity or the skill of the players. Some players run fast but don't run through you. Other players may be slow and even weaker but they unload on you.

I like the animation based system that was present in 2K5.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict515
Many many developers have stated over and over that overall neither system is going to be doing anything particularly better than the other. Furthermore, even if there were a big difference, few developers would bother to do anything with it for a true cross platform game (as opposed to a timed exclusive where they'd spend the 6-12 months of exclusivity on one platform making the newer one slightly better. Such as Oblivion where the devs have stated all the improvements are purely based on having time to do them and nothing to do with the PS3s power vs the 360). Finally, even if there was an edge for the PS3, it would take 2-3 years for anyone to notice and figure out how to use it.

That said, I pray every night that VC signs a contract to use the NaturalMotion stuff in 2k8.
Don't want to start this into a console discussion but several developers have also stated the Cell processor can handle more and better real time physics while the Xenon can handle better AI implementation. And if you read the technical background behind each processor, you would have to agree.

But I do agree, cross platforms shouldn't be a difference but you never know.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

I think it would be really nice also, but would rather them get the collision and tackling animations down first. Its been rumored and people are hoping that they are using NaturalMotion. If they use that for the models I believe they could get by with not having the most accurate ball physics for another year, I believe that it would sale pretty good if this is implemented along with the presentaion and graphics 2k is known for.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

FIFA already uses this, and i wish EA would put it into the football games.

Pretty much the ball doesnt go towards the target, the legs and head move to stop or kick it

It would be nice to see an arm stretch out for the ball if it is behined him, or above him

And a snap to the side or low or high, causing a little stutter in the drop back or hand off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #16
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
FIFA already uses this, and i wish EA would put it into the football games.

Pretty much the ball doesnt go towards the target, the legs and head move to stop or kick it

It would be nice to see an arm stretch out for the ball if it is behined him, or above him

And a snap to the side or low or high, causing a little stutter in the drop back or hand off.

here is a link to a video showing you what i am talking about

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »