Home

Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements?

This is a discussion on Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19
Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements?

I know adding physics based tackling is what everyone wants, but the processing power needed maybe out of even the next gen consoles league.

How bout they start by adding real ball physics. I mean how many times have we played a football video game where wind has no affect on the passing game? A 30-40 mph wind should make any throw over 10-15 yds near impossible.

If I was 2k I would concentrate on two things. Crowd Interaction(Atomsphere) and Weather Impact.

I want dirty players not just 3 different player models of dirt like madden. I want splashing puddles, real time torn up grass, the ball should get mucked up in crazy weather. Players wearing towels and hand warmers. List goes on.

Atomsphere Atomsphere Atomsphere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Physics Based Tackling? How Bout Physics based Ball movements?

I hear you loud and clear. I really feel that VC has something big up their sleeve, since they decided to bring this game out.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Real time graphics are not that easy to achieve. Doubt we will see it this year but it would be great if we did.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 25

Real-time physics is not out of this gens league. Its just a bitch to create for a sports game. Its not so much the power holding them back, its the difficulty of implementing it. However if 2K can get it done this year(doubtful) then the sales would soar.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I totally agree with this thread. The kicking game would be so much better in all facets, and with weather affects, I wouldn't even end up caring about tackling physics.
2K5 with better ball physics(deflections, bounces, etc) would be just fine with me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Breaking it down on two different systems will be a challenge as well. Here is the thing though, the PS3 is better suited for real time physics because the Cell processor. I don't think they'll be able to add certain things to the 360 they could with the PS3. That's not saying PS3 has better graphics, but it will be able to handle better environments.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime23
Breaking it down on two different systems will be a challenge as well. Here is the thing though, the PS3 is better suited for real time physics because the Cell processor. I don't think they'll be able to add certain things to the 360 they could with the PS3. That's not saying PS3 has better graphics, but it will be able to handle better environments.
True, the PS3 seems to be a physics power house.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime23
Many many developers have stated over and over that overall neither system is going to be doing anything particularly better than the other. Furthermore, even if there were a big difference, few developers would bother to do anything with it for a true cross platform game (as opposed to a timed exclusive where they'd spend the 6-12 months of exclusivity on one platform making the newer one slightly better. Such as Oblivion where the devs have stated all the improvements are purely based on having time to do them and nothing to do with the PS3s power vs the 360). Finally, even if there was an edge for the PS3, it would take 2-3 years for anyone to notice and figure out how to use it.

That said, I pray every night that VC signs a contract to use the NaturalMotion stuff in 2k8.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »