Home

Cart before the Horse?

This is a discussion on Cart before the Horse? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Cart before the Horse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
yea, by movement LBz doesnt mean the animation itself, but rather the route taken. (they can walk on their hands for all i care)

Defenders take horrible angles, rather than the shortest route. They move almost pacman like, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT.
They never seem to run fluid curves, but rather like stop and go traffic.
Ahh Pac Man is a great analogy. Up Down Left Right. That's exactly what I mean. They don't move in all of the directions that a human can move. For instance if some one is hauling a$$ in the 200 meter on a track. Yes they will go straight, but their movement when they hit the curve is like this ( not like L . That's what I mean by movement. One final thing. I did not get the sense that hte defenders were exploding out of their stance (Dline) and exploding through gaps. They seemed more casual in their movement and pursuit. Defense is not a day job. It's about hunting. I want to feel that in 2k8. I want to feel like I'm hunting. I'm going to get after it and I want to see my other teammates getting after it too.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ahh Pac Man is a great analogy. Up Down Left Right. That's exactly what I mean. They don't move in all of the directions that a human can move. For instance if some one is hauling a$$ in the 200 meter on a track. Yes they will go straight, but their movement when they hit the curve is like this ( not like L . That's what I mean by movement. One final thing. I did not get the sense that hte defenders were exploding out of their stance (Dline) and exploding through gaps. They seemed more casual in their movement and pursuit. Defense is not a day job. It's about hunting. I want to feel that in 2k8. I want to feel like I'm hunting. I'm going to get after it and I want to see my other teammates getting after it too.
gotcha...i was thinking more of just the animations. you make some very good points.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #51
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
If 2k8 has fluid movement then it's Money in da bank. That is one area where madden has always been better IMO. It's also one of the areas that turn Madden gamers off to 2k - movement. If the players move fluidly, like NBA2k then gameplay wise it should be a treat. But if the movement is still like 2k5, I'll still enjoy it but it but the game play will suffer a bit.
Wow...this just hit me. VC went with a new style of physics starting with NBA 2k6...where the movement was no longer based strictly on the movement animations. It added a bit of sliding, but the new, smoother feel was worth it.

If they use the same thing for football we may be in for someting special, more of a Maddens smooth feel along with their own library of momentum-based transitional animations...wow.

I don't see high expectations as "cart before the horse". There was a big jump in quality from NBA2k5 to 2K6...imagine the jump we'll see in their football title. Even if they just ported the xbox version of 2k5 gen over to the new system with a few patches I'd be ecstatic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Wow...this just hit me. VC went with a new style of physics starting with NBA 2k6...where the movement was no longer based strictly on the movement animations. It added a bit of sliding, but the new, smoother feel was worth it.

If they use the same thing for football we may be in for someting special, more of a Maddens smooth feel along with their own library of momentum-based transitional animations...wow.

I don't see high expectations as "cart before the horse". There was a big jump in quality from NBA2k5 to 2K6...imagine the jump we'll see in their football title. Even if they just ported the xbox version of 2k5 gen over to the new system with a few patches I'd be ecstatic.
Yeah man, if it is smooth like NBA 2k7 although there is a little sliding it will be a great game IMO. For me if it is smooth movement like NBA 2k7, a new paint in terms of graphics with the 2k5 feel for game play, along with the glitches addressed from 2k5, it is Gold.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
I think it is more than the camera. By movement I'm thinking in these terms. Call an OLB Blitz in Madden and call one in 2k5. Notice in Madden the OLB is fluid in his pass rush. Now notice in 2k5. The OLB is not fluid in his movement. He will turn here and there making the blitz a wasted call. In Madden the OLB's movement on his pass rush is more like this \ or like this ( off the edge. In 2k he will do like this L . The former has a fluid diagonal and or curve like movement into the backfield. The latter goes down then turns in. One game has one fluid movement. The other has two movements. The same thing happens on inside blitzes. In Madden if you overload it you will see that guy fly up the gut running with a fluid stride. In 2k he will do too many twists and turns in his movement and his stride is not fluid. Just run straight and fluid. Alot of times in 2k a guy can have that gap but he will not hit it with authority nor will he hit it fluidly. If the QB steps away to the right he should not do this |_ he should do this ( or \ . It would take Kanobi to explain it. He and I used to talk about it all the time.
Lbzrule, that is a great analysis! That is something the 2kboys should hear/read.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #54
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Man Ching
You pretty much sum up what I am thinking. IF any sane peson would come in here and look at some of the non sense people are claiming and thinking about a game that hasn't shown us anything is crazy. I am glad people are excited and all but chill the hell out.

What will you guys do if Madden is the superior game next year? Will you just say your not playing it because it say's Madden on the cover.

I hope Madden gets competition too but this game will not be enough. IT might help EA open their eyes but I doubt that too. This is not bashing anyone hear. I know you are excited but just chill out a little . Please.
I suppose I must be the leader of the "people". Those that have the frenzy
& hoopla over APF. I might buy Madden 2008 for the Wii, if the gameplay
warrants it, but as for Madden on the 360/PS3, I really doubt it will
suddenly see a boost in real quality. At the end of the day they can
add all the missing items but if all I can do is throw either a bullet
pass or a lame duck lob, I'll pass on Madden & NCAA.

I still stick to my prediction that APF will sell over one million
copies and that it will continue to sell into 2008.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 16

Man people need to calm down seriously. People are making up BS stories at the 2kforums and I am just laughing. I am happy that AP2k8 is comming out but im not expecting it to have everything we dream including real time physics for tackling.

People need to lower their expectations before they get let down when a certain feature or implementation is not in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #56
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
but if you look at Madden's history, other than recent history, it should've been a great football game, but here of late it isn't.
Madden has been a ridiculously average football game since 2000. 2Ks FIRST game on the Dreamcast was better than the 500 lb. gorilla, Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »