Home

Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

This is a discussion on Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That I have no doubt of. Imo the hardcore game was definitely heading to the 2k camp. But that's a sliver of the audience unfortunately.

I think you'd be surprised at how much bigger the football market is compared to the basketball market.
one point XRams was getting at is, size is kinda beside the point. Brand loyalty, and brand recognition is whats at stake. Live was a smaller market, but a loyal market, and one that EA could bank on. after a few years of constant progression by the nba2k series, topped with exploding onto the next gen consoles = an unavoidable switch by the masses.............
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
one point XRams was getting at is, size is kinda beside the point. Brand loyalty, and brand recognition is whats at stake. Live was a smaller market, but a loyal market, and one that EA could bank on. after a few years of constant progression by the nba2k series, topped with exploding onto the next gen consoles = an unavoidable switch by the masses.............
I disagree. When the Market is that big, and Madden has that kind of name recognition, something that Live didn't approach, and Madden has that kind of marketshare over that size of a market, means it would have been that much more difficult to overcome. Plus I believe EA would have gone to great lengths to protect their ownership of a market that size with much higher production budgets and being more aggressive towards being innovative.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #27
MVP

another point, EA must have had similar thoughts. let say the NFL lisence was forced by the NFL wanting exclusivity (thata word?) but EA sure went to great extents to ensure no one was able to make a reasonable marketable football title......c'mon..an exclisive arean league deal...LOL..they must have feared something
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
another point, EA must have had similar thoughts. let say the NFL lisence was forced by the NFL wanting exclusivity (thata word?) but EA sure went to great extents to ensure no one was able to make a reasonable marketable football title......c'mon..an exclisive arean league deal...LOL..they must have feared something
Was it fear, or just being agressive from a business perspective? I doubt it was fear. I doubt they bought the Arena license, because they thought 2k was going to make an Arena game so great, it was going to knock Madden from the top of the hill.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Plus I believe EA would have gone to great lengths to protect their ownership of a market that size with much higher production budgets and being more aggressive towards being innovative.
this is the varriable that i cant dispute. who knows what they would have done if they HAD to.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #30
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I will say this, there is no doubt they bought the college license with this in mind. In my mind they know NCAA Football was vulnerable (their sales are signicantly lower than Madden's) and that was a motivating factor in securing that particular license.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Was it fear, or just being agressive from a business perspective? I doubt it was fear. I doubt they bought the Arena license, because they thought 2k was going to make an Arena game so great, it was going to knock Madden from the top of the hill.
no i think its beacause they didnt want them to be in existance to challenge madden at a later date.....if VC had a decent lisence to hang their hat on. the better the chance to continue to outshine EA and position themselves to be threat down the road.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #32
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
no i think its beacause they didnt want them to be in existance to challenge madden at a later date.....if VC had a decent lisence to hang their hat on. the better the chance to continue to outshine EA and position themselves to be threat down the road.
That's logical. I could see that. However, imo, EA's hold on the NFL license is indefinite.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »