Home

Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

This is a discussion on Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
My sentiments exactly. If EA wasn't scared of VC's football development, why gobble up the NCAA and Arena football rights. Hell, they even went so far as signing as many legends as they could since it was rumored VC was working on a legends game.
i think EA is stupid, but they aint dumb...LOL........I think after seeing what VC was doing with ESPN-NFL2k5 they knew that things were getting SERIOUS............it was not a game.........
Also tehy new that without the NFL license, VC;s logical move would use 2k5's engine and blow the doors off with ESPN-NCAA Football. these exclusive deals aint coincidense folks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
The fact is EA paid an estimated 300 million for that deal. Why on Earth would they do that if there was no fear of losing market share ??? The ONLY way that deal is worth 300 mil to EA is because they feared having their market share tapped into by 2k. If not. No way in he11 they pay that much money for nothing.
The alternative was being outbid by 2K and losing the NFL license for Madden which would have meant going from the dominant market share to no market share. The deal was a no-brainer from EA's perspective. They didn't pay that money for nothing.

Your anger should be directed at the NFL for allowing a monopoly on their license, not at a company making a perfectly rational business decision.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #67
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

And who cares who owns all ? I mean thats EA mentality. Everything doesnt have to be a monopoly man. We just want are game back. We dont need 2K to own the universe or dethrone Madden. You act as if a game cant be successful unless its #1 in sales rankings. When you dont spend BILLIONS in licsening fees, marketing, ect...... you have a lot less overhead to make up for. 2K doent need to be #1 in sales to be financially successful. But EA does.
On this, you and I are in complete agreement.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #68
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I hate to rain on your parade, but the numbers don't back this up:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4525&Itemid=2

Madden 07 was the second highest selling 360 title released last year (behind only Gears of War). Note also there are no 2k titles in the top 10, despite their generally higher review scores.

Methinks your claim of a shift is a tad premature.
Considering that Madden was the only pro football game to play in a console aimed at 15-35 year old males, those sales numbers aren't too impressive to me. The Madden/PS2 combo was a huge success because of the way Madden played.....the Madden/360/PS3 combo will be a huge success because EA holds a monopoly on the genre. If 2K would've came out with NFL2K6 and 2K7 and it had continued the quality of 2K5, I could only but imagine that 2K would take a chunk of Madden's market. Outsell them? no, but it would've been competitive to the point where Madden would've made more significant improvements to there product.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #69
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Considering that Madden was the only pro football game to play in a console aimed at 15-35 year old males, those sales numbers aren't too impressive to me. The Madden/PS2 combo was a huge success because of the way Madden played.....the Madden/360/PS3 combo will be a huge success because EA holds a monopoly on the genre. If 2K would've came out with NFL2K6 and 2K7 and it had continued the quality of 2K5, I could only but imagine that 2K would take a chunk of Madden's market. Outsell them? no, but it would've been competitive to the point where Madden would've made more significant improvements to there product.
Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #70
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
The alternative was being outbid by 2K and losing the NFL license for Madden which would have meant going from the dominant market share to no market share. The deal was a no-brainer from EA's perspective. They didn't pay that money for nothing.

Your anger should be directed at the NFL for allowing a monopoly on their license, not at a company making a perfectly rational business decision.

Well just agree to disagree on this. And you still are not addressing all the other rediculous liscenses EA purchsed at the same time that were not financially viable. Unless you believe Arena League is a cash cow waiting to happen.
Minnesota Wild
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #71
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
If 2K would've came out with NFL2K6 and 2K7 and it had continued the quality of 2K5, I could only but imagine that 2K would take a chunk of Madden's market. Outsell them? no, but it would've been competitive to the point where Madden would've made more significant improvements to there product.
No doubt about it. Exclusive license= bad for customer.

As far as EA being scared and all that other stuff. I swear some of you guys are so pro 2k and anti-EA, you've lost all sense of reality. You've become the blind zealots that the Maddenites were a few years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Well just agree to disagree on this. And you still are not addressing all the other rediculous liscenses EA purchsed at the same time that were not financially viable. Unless you believe Arena League is a cash cow waiting to happen.
Who cares about the Arena League? They were probably able to pick up the rights for chump change.

It was the NFL that screwed over sports gamers by making its license exclusive. Get mad at them, not EA for making a sane business decision.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »