Home

2K Sports Better Start Talking

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Better Start Talking within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #41
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: 2K Sports Better Start Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Regaining the fans they once had isn't going to ever put them over the top.
It's my belief that they have most of the fans they once had, plus the many people that thought in 2005 exclusivity wasn't that bad a deal, or at least were willing to take a wait and see approach. While there are some 2K fans that like Madden next gen for what it is, I feel there's a far greater number that are looking for an alternative. I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't think it can be underestimated that VC is taking on delivering a generic football title because the demand is there for ANY sort of legitimate alternative to Madden/NCAA. These are people that don't necessarily need to be marketed to because they're the reason the game exists in the first place. Three years ago a generic football title was pretty much inconceiveable.

I'm not advocating NO marketing; imo it was the online community that helped forge Madden into the number one selling title it is. I agree it would be smart for VC to reach out to the online community to help re-establish itself. I remember when Madden was talked about year round; where people would talk up local tournaments or online games they had, about the national Madden tournament, etc. ALL of that's gone lol. EA's abandoned that and made Madden more about hype than the game itself. There's no way VC is going to approach anything EA will do with Madden from a marketing perspective, so likely anything they do is going to pale in comparison. Personally I don't have the first clue as to what would be the best way to market the title; perhaps relying on release date/price/word of mouth is the best option

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #42
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I never said that it is a direct competitor, but take two has to market the game that way. If they are serious about once regaining the license becoming a strong competitor to Madden and someday topping it, then they have to start now by marketing their game as a competitor to Madden. The idea is to get the casual gamer and Madden die-hards alike to take notice. Regaining the fans they once had isn't going to ever put them over the top.

I still dont understand why anyone thinks this game will be marketed as a competitor to Madden. One has the NFL license and the other one doesn't. That alone ceases the discussion of APF even being in the same ballpark as Madden. Like I said before, if EA was concerned that a generic game could come out of left field to compete with Madden, I dont think they would of aquired the license in the first place. Take Two shouldn't even focus any of thier marketing prowess on taking on Madden, thats a losing battle all the way. Its like the 300 Spartans going against the Persians. The Spartas were tough, badasses who never quit but were foolish for even thinking they could topple the Persian army. Please 2K, dont go out like Leonidus...or TONIGHT, YOU DINE IN HELL!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I still dont understand why anyone thinks this game will be marketed as a competitor to Madden. One has the NFL license and the other one doesn't. That alone ceases the discussion of APF even being in the same ballpark as Madden. Like I said before, if EA was concerned that a generic game could come out of left field to compete with Madden, I dont think they would of aquired the license in the first place. Take Two shouldn't even focus any of thier marketing prowess on taking on Madden, thats a losing battle all the way. Its like the 300 Spartans going against the Persians. The Spartas were tough, badasses who never quit but were foolish for even thinking they could topple the Persian army. Please 2K, dont go out like Leonidus...or TONIGHT, YOU DINE IN HELL!!!
Leonidas and his 300 never thought they would defeat the Persian's they sacrficed themselves to by Athens more time.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #44
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Personally I don't have the first clue as to what would be the best way to market the title; perhaps relying on release date/price/word of mouth is the best option

Beta 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikIy1i2X24
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 5

A Screen Shot Would be nice though....

Priesthood619
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #46
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
so basically what you are saying is that 2k should admit that their game isn't going to compete with Madden and try and convince casual gamers to buy the game anyways?
How is that good?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #47

OVR: 34

Quote:
I still dont understand why anyone thinks this game will be marketed as a competitor to Madden. One has the NFL license and the other one doesn't. That alone ceases the discussion of APF even being in the same ballpark as Madden.
I guarantee the first time All-Pro 2K8 does something that Madden doesn't do, or it does something better than Madden, it wil be claimed "better than Madden."

You'll see things like, "Even without the license this game is superior to Madden."

It is already being marketed as competition to Madden by 2K. The Greg Thomas interview at Gamespot reveals that. Their premise is there can be better next-gen footbal than the current showing.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #48
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
Well he said Joe Gamer likes the NFL OR Over the top like Blitz. Im saying I am a NFL guy - but I bought Blitz due to the content that was on Midways site. If 2k had some content it would help to persuade people.
Maybe I worded it incorrectly but my comments had nothing to do with any one on this board or any board for that matter. Gamers who frequent these boards are not "Joe Gamer". Joe Gamer probably has no idea that there even is a website for Blitz let alone 2Ksports.com. Maybe I am not given Joe Gamer the benefit of the doubt but when people at work say to me "You are a sports gamer, you must love Madden right?" and I tell them I hate Madden, they look at me and say "There are other football video games?".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »