Home

Help with the Running Game

This is a discussion on Help with the Running Game within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Help with the Running Game

I have played and enjoyed 2K5 for 3 years, but I still seem to struggle with the running game. Even with sliders easier than what most folks here use, I really have trouble getting the ground game going. I was wondering if anyone can offer up any tips.

Here are a few of my troubles:
-It seems like 25% of the time, I have a couple defenders in the backfield before I even get the ball.
-My fullback often runs right past the guy he is supposed to block.
-If I try to be patient, my FB and/or pulling guard might engage a few defenders, but by that time, the pursuit has caught up, and I have 3 new defenders to deal with.
-When I try to run outside the tackles, the CPU always seems to have an LB there waiting for me.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Help with the Running Game

try single back set, spread 4 WR-- & run it straight up the gut. throw once or twice if they ever seem to be selling out & you should again be able to run no problem.

in general ive found 2k5 run defense is kept in check by the pass in this game-- probably more the opposite in real life. 4 WR is like a preemptive strike @ crowding the box
Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Thanks Puja. I should have mentioned that this is mainly for games against the CPU. I actually seem to have more success against human opponents.

Yes, you are right that there is a bit more real estate when spreading the formation. But I do like to mix it up and would like to have some more success with the other plays as well.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

one thing ive also noticed is that in franchise, when you're "supposed to" run the ball you'll have MUCH more success than overall on average

e.g. if up ~2 scores w/ & they have just missed on a scoring opportunity, or it's under 3 min... these kind of situations: running the ball is sooo much easier. break tackles happen. in extreme cases, ive even seen where i'm trying to run the clock out rather than kick off again & i almost cant keep from scoring on the ground-- like i'll try & get tackled but they push me 5 yds in or the celebration walk kicks in way early @ like the 4 yd line & i'm "forced to score"

^almost like they just want the ball back
Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Well, especially when you're running against me, Cardot. (Man, how great would this game be if we could take current rosters online or at least through XBConnect!) Well, you guys know I'm weird about using the tweaks via Finn's editor. In franchise (season) mode, I really like the sweeps or pitches with the pulling G's and T's because sometimes it works like a charm and sometimes it blows up, just like in the real game. Up the gut runs for huge gains are so far and few between, but I would think that would depend on what you have the cpu sliders set for re: tackle and pursuit. But personally, when those pulling G's and T's clear the outside (and occasional inside) lane for you and pancake the OLB's and pressing DB's, it's sweet.

(p.s., I'm close to finishing a tweaked roster on convince's post draft set. Just have to do finishing touches on WR's and then get to the QB's who are the biggest p.i.t.a.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

If your playing against the CPU, here are a few suggestions. Patience. Follow your blockers. If the FB is missing his block, you can always put him or a TE in motion and hit the gap. Think about using the pass to set up the run. Most folks think the other way around. On first down, try a six or seven yard hitch, then come back with a draw, or a counter with a pulling guard and again, follow your block. If you always come out running, particularly to the outside, the CPU will stack the line against you. Look at how many are in the box, do the LB's shift to one side or another? Also some backs are made to run up the middle ex. Jamal Lewis, Stephen Jackson, LT.....some are outside guys ex. Thomas Jones, Cadillac, Tiki Barber. Run to their strenghts, just don't be predictable or the CPU defense will eat you up.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have also had trouble running the ball in the past, but ive found that plays to the outside are far more successful than anything straight up the gut. Like puja already said, the best way to get the run goin is to make the defense wary of your passing attack. I find that play action to my tight end is very successful. Once you get some completions under your belt, the d stops stacking 8 in the box, and the running game is much more effective. I have found that the more ive played this game (and ive played it from day one) the more flawed i think the running game is.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

The main thing I've noticed after playing for years is just pure patience. Sometimes for 3 quarters, I get completely nothing out of my run game but it just takes that one play in the 4th that springs for a long running touchdown. It's probably one of my favorite aspects of the game honestly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »