Home

Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5??

This is a discussion on Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5??

I played 7 seasons of NFL2k4 on XBOX - I played 3 of my 7 seasons after I bought NFL2k5. Although I owned NFL2k5 for XBOX - I didnt start a season until after I bought it for PS2 for $3 and played it on PS3.

I would have to say I liked NFL2k4 better but 2k5 is right up there behind APF2k8
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

yup

2k had more commentary

they had the proper grass (nexturf) for the bills (thats my franchise)

the AI was very good (minus no long passes)
Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

One of the big problems I had with 2K4 was that the CPU never missed field goals. It wasn't so much the first 3 1/2 quarters that bothered me. But if the CPU was driving for a game winning FG, once they were inside the 35 it was pretty much a lock. I hated the idea that letting them score to leave myself time was the best strategy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
One of the big problems I had with 2K4 was that the CPU never missed field goals.
Easily fixed with a couple of quick edits: Kicking Accuracy and Consistency
Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
Rookie

Malignant's Arena

OVR: 7

Apart from RB slider tweaks and reducing the accuracy and consistency for kickers, NFL 2K4 is pretty much a perfect game for me.

I miss watching the half-time and end-game highlights but I'm quite content with the still shots at half-time. Plus the draft is actually a pleasure to go through because of the AI logic, as teams actually look to fill holes on their roster rather than picking just QB, RB, DE and T in the 1st round (which is what happens in 2K5).

When on defense I prefer to play as a DT and it's actually quite challenging to play this position. Unlike in 2K5 where it just seems too easy to play as a DT or DE (and if you don't get past the O-line then you'll more than likely force the CPU to give away a 10-yard holding penalty instead).

I actually prefer the weather effects on 2K4. I think sunny games look great on 2K5 but I think 2K4 wins for the rain and snow. I don't like the way 2K5 has to always incorporate the fog when it rains, whereas the fog setting is actually adjustable on 2K4. Trying to kick a long field goal with the fog setting maxed out is always a good challenge.

I'm sure I'll think of some more positives later on but that's not to say that I don't like 2K5 because I do. I just think 2K4 was a much better game out of the box with only minor adjustments needed.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

I've been playing 2k5 alot lately after a long layoff from the game....I find this a good way to objectively see all the pros and cons of the game when you return to play after a long layoff.

The great thing that really hits you with the entire 2k series that madden could never touch was the immersive tackling system that really forces you to work at trying to bring down a ball carrier. Players seem to have more weight and momentum. There is no 'touch' tackling in 2K football....you want to make a tackle, you have to really work hard, hold down the X button, and even get assistance from teammates on the tougher runners....when you make an open field tackle at the legs, it's much more rewarding because its harder to do...plain and simple. this is what seperates 2K above madden.

The play calling is another area in which 2K shines over madden. You cant hedge as much in the 2k series and call a play that is going to equally cover the pass and run effectively as you can pretty much do at will in Madden. In 2k, proper play calling is rewarded and equally punished when called ineffectively.

Now, specifically in regards to 2K5, after playing alot lately, there are some things that I hope they really address going forward to elevate this game to even further heights.
One thing that I seem to notice alot, whether its due to the animation system or just the gameplay engine itself, is after while, you will start to see very systematic and repetitive outcomes to each play. Moreso, than even madden. maybe its due to a limited animation library, but I think it extents a bit further to the gameplay engine that seems to have all the players follow too much of the same scripted patterns on each play. The result seems to be a less organic and randomness to the gameplay.

It's almost if the game is limited to just a couple of outcomes per play. I seem to know exactly how certain pass plays will unfold every time I call them. For example, the SS will do the same back pedal and sweep over to try and swat the out pattern., ect. I know that these are things that players should be doing, its just that 2k5 seems to make them unfold more robotic and pattern-like than other games.

Perhaps the game could add some variety and some random animations to break up the systematic feel to every play. Let different things unfold during a play. Have a player stumble or slip from time to time. Have a player miss his assigned block and try to recover by blocking someone else....Add more randomness so the game doesnt feel so....deja vu.

What do u guys think?.....and has All Pro Football 2K8 addressed any of this?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 5

I've said many times. If 2k4 had 2k5's running game that would be great. Or if 2k5 had 2k4's pocket I would be estatic. Primarily the latter so there would still be Finn's editor to keep the game "fresh".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
Apart from RB slider tweaks and reducing the accuracy and consistency for kickers, NFL 2K4 is pretty much a perfect game for me.

I miss watching the half-time and end-game highlights but I'm quite content with the still shots at half-time. Plus the draft is actually a pleasure to go through because of the AI logic, as teams actually look to fill holes on their roster rather than picking just QB, RB, DE and T in the 1st round (which is what happens in 2K5).

When on defense I prefer to play as a DT and it's actually quite challenging to play this position. Unlike in 2K5 where it just seems too easy to play as a DT or DE (and if you don't get past the O-line then you'll more than likely force the CPU to give away a 10-yard holding penalty instead).

I actually prefer the weather effects on 2K4. I think sunny games look great on 2K5 but I think 2K4 wins for the rain and snow. I don't like the way 2K5 has to always incorporate the fog when it rains, whereas the fog setting is actually adjustable on 2K4. Trying to kick a long field goal with the fog setting maxed out is always a good challenge.

I'm sure I'll think of some more positives later on but that's not to say that I don't like 2K5 because I do. I just think 2K4 was a much better game out of the box with only minor adjustments needed.
Just to be clear for once I get to the draft...if I choose one of the positions the CPU would take, doesn't that fix the problem? Or at least make it better?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »