Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The one thing missing?

thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 14

For anybody that can answer, using the new editor, what happens when u put a team at a 3-4 depth chart, that normally runs a 4-3?
For instance, taking the current 49ers playbook and making them use a 3-4 depth chart or the default Patriots and putting them at 4-3?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 AM   #19
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

I started doing team playbooks for the PS2 historic teams I was making, mainly to make it so players would get touches like they should, like:

-FB Keith Byars on the 1990 Eagles led the team in catches, so I put him at wideout in many of the formations... Ditto for Reggie Bush on the 2006 Saints.

-FB Jim Taylor on the '66 Packers led the team in rushing, so I added a bunch of FB running plays.

I stopped doing this however, because 1. I got sick of editing, etc. 2. Navigating the playbooks is a bitch.

I still plan to some time in the future make a handful of generic playbooks that favor the run, favor the pass, use a 3-4 scheme, etc. Then subbing guys before the game starts, like when playing the '90 Eagles or '06 Saints as noted above (though I'm not sure if the subs will stick on CPU controlled teams, I haven't tested it).

To answer your question: YES! Playbooks matter, absolutely. They're probably one of the most important things, just behind player attributes.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Woohoo!!!

Finn has posted a new version of his editor but he says that it's for testing purposes only. Luckily, I finished my 2K7 roster and can mess around with this one until he releases a final version instead of a test version. It's version - 3.0.0.5

As for the playbooks comments over the last two pages, I just wanted to let everyone know that you've been using the same playbooks since 2K3. The only difference is that defensively, every team has the bear defense and some have both 3-4 and 4-3 like the Cowboys and Vikings. Offensively, some new plays have been added to every team's playbook but if you compare it to 2K3, you'll find every play from 2K3 in 2K5 for your respective team. Sure, some plays in 2K3 work better in 2K5 and vice versa but I just find it funny that people havent noticed that the playbooks are actually five years old, not three.

Oh well, hopefully Finn's editor has some awesome bug-free stuff. Testing, here I come.

85% of ENF2k5_V3_0_0_5.exe completed!!!!!!!! Later guys!!!!!!!!!

2K4 was my first game, not 2K3. Sorry for the mis-info.

C
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #21
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500bloc
For anybody that can answer, using the new editor, what happens when u put a team at a 3-4 depth chart, that normally runs a 4-3?
For instance, taking the current 49ers playbook and making them use a 3-4 depth chart or the default Patriots and putting them at 4-3?
The depth chart changes in game but the team still runs the plays in their playbook. So in order to get a team 4-3 team to play the 3-4, you need to change the depth chart and switch the default playbook to team that runs a 3-4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 AM   #22
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Woohoo!!!

Finn has posted a new version of his editor but he says that it's for testing purposes only. Luckily, I finished my 2K7 roster and can mess around with this one until he releases a final version instead of a test version. It's version - 3.0.0.5

As for the playbooks comments over the last two pages, I just wanted to let everyone know that you've been using the same playbooks since 2K3. The only difference is that defensively, every team has the bear defense and some have both 3-4 and 4-3 like the Cowboys and Vikings. Offensively, some new plays have been added to every team's playbook but if you compare it to 2K3, you'll find every play from 2K3 in 2K5 for your respective team. Sure, some plays in 2K3 work better in 2K5 and vice versa but I just find it funny that people havent noticed that the playbooks are actually five years old, not three.

Oh well, hopefully Finn's editor has some awesome bug-free stuff. Testing, here I come.

85% of ENF2k5_V3_0_0_5.exe completed!!!!!!!! Later guys!!!!!!!!!

Misc. Notes:
  • Depth chart access: Depth chart button, Main Menu Edit|Depth Chart, Double Click Team Image or Team Name, Right Click Team Name, Crtl-D shortcut.
  • Change to 3-4 depth chart: Right Click team name.
  • On the depth chart screen, to edit the depth chart of a position, click the position name. Clicking the player name will bring up the player editor. Importing/Exporting allows people working with the same roster file to share depth charts. (or allows you to restore teams depth charts in your franchise if the CPU screws them up).
  • Auto Advance year now prompts for the number of years to advance.
  • New Schedule action now allows you to select the year of the schedule.
  • Edit game now allows minutes as well as hours (i.e. 4:15 pm). Time range expanded from noon to midnight. (used to be noon to 9)
  • New option added: Check show all time teams to view Alumni/pro-bowl and celeb teams in the editor.
  • Change default playbook by clicking the options tab for a team and selecting a different playbook. This options is only available for the NFL teams. Alumni/Pro-Bowl/Created teams are not supported.

Stay tuned for the coaching updates.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #23
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

This may or may not be of use to anyone... But I found a guide, of sorts, to the playbooks:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/file/920177/32847

Good to use when creating new playbooks, so you don't have to sort through all the teams in the game looking for a formation.

This whole internet thing sure does come in handy!

EDIT: Uh... On further examination... That guide is incomplete. I guess the call is... Overturned.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 09-12-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #24
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookooForCocoa
I stopped doing this however, because 1. I got sick of editing, etc. 2. Navigating the playbooks is a bitch.
I forgot to mention, another thing holding me back was that some of the plays in each team's playbook doesn't actually use the package listed.

Example: I went ahead and started making some generic playbooks for the historic teams... One run, one balanced, and one pass for both the 4-3 and 3-4 defensive schemes... And while making the "4-3 Run" book I'm going through adding a bunch of formations that have both the running back and fullback... And for Tampa Bay the Split Jokers (I think, if my memory serves me well) formation actually uses two fullbacks, as opposed to a fullback and halfback, and there's no way to tell until you actually use the playbook!

EDIT: Actually, you can check the true package for each formation by going to the "Substitutions" menu while editing a playbook. But still, it's kind of a pain having to go back and forth.

So, in order find out all the playbooks with their correct packages someone would have to go through each one... Which is maybe why that "Guide" I posted above is incomplete.

I'm still going to go ahead and make a few generic playbooks, only because I think it's a better alternative.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 09-14-2007 at 12:06 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »