Home

Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
The one thing missing?

We have some awesome roster makers here. Guys that spend literally hundreds of hours working on rosters, sometimes starting a week after the season ends and going through for the rest of the following year.

We have guys who spend hundreds of more hours researching and creating teams that played for the past 50 years, making sure the players have the right facemasks, jersey numbers, wrist bands, etc.

Guys spend weeks and weeks changing and testing player attributes/ratings in order to provide the most realistic football simulation that can be squeezed out of this 4 year old title.

The level of detail on some of the published rosters is incredible..and only getting better with the efforts put forth this year.

However, one item I think has been neglected is really the core of the game...in both reality and for this simulation - plays/playbooks. In essence, aren't we using 4 or 5 year old playbooks for the teams in 2007? Have teams changed their offensive and defensive coordinators and schemes over that time? Have strategies changed for the teams...perhaps a run heavy team in 2004 is now 50/50 or leans more toward the pass? The answer is probably yes, but is there any realistic way to reflect this in the game with the new rosters to be released?

Is it worth it to get an update on each team and what type of off and def they play, and try to match up the appropriate playbooks? At least so they can be utilized when playing head to head against the team? Are some of the plays/playbooks just not suitable for realistic play? The 2or 3 step drop plays by the QB are brutal and most often result in a sack or INT. can/should these types of plays be identified and removed?

Just throwing food out for thought. It all may be too much to take on, or not even possible...I don't know enough about it. It just seems that if we are concerned about whether player X wears eyeblack, we should also be concerned about a much more critical part of the game.

Thoughts?

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: The one thing missing?

You can't edit the playbooks in the roster. They are in the game itself. So because of that, the simulated stats won't reflect playbook changes anyways. What would be the reason of creating a playbook for each time if the cpu won't use them?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXperiment63
You can't edit the playbooks in the roster. They are in the game itself. So because of that, the simulated stats won't reflect playbook changes anyways. What would be the reason of creating a playbook for each time if the cpu won't use them?
Couldn't you edit a playbook...save it, and then assign it to a specific team? I think Finn may actually be adding this function to his revised editor...not 100% sure, but I thought I read something about it. And it may not be so critical for simmed games anyway...I was thinking more about when you play the cpu...whether in human control mode or Coach mode.

C
Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

No, I don't believe you can. I think what you are thinkin of is that he is adding the ability to change a team from 4-3 to 3-4 and vice versa in the depth chart section.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Can't see that simming makes any difference as far as the playbook goes. I doubt the sim engine is even that advanced.

For head-to-head play though, yes - very important. And something Capa brought up that's 100% correct: some plays need to be axed. Plays with multiple short crossing routes don't work well at all. Those plays are INT-city. I dumped those plays from my playbooks a long time ago, and I have absolutely no issue anymore with crazy INT's and poor CPU QB performance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Couldn't you edit a playbook...save it, and then assign it to a specific team? I think Finn may actually be adding this function to his revised editor...not 100% sure, but I thought I read something about it. And it may not be so critical for simmed games anyway...I was thinking more about when you play the cpu...whether in human control mode or Coach mode.

C
I am currently working on a way to allow you to change the default playbook of any team to any other teams playbook or the West Coast or General playbook. That in combination with changing the default defensive depth from 4-3 to 3-4 will allow roster makers the chance to get this closer to reality. At this time I don't plan on trying to do custom playbooks because you can only load two.

In addition, I am actively working on some coach stuff that hopefully give us the ability to make a team's coach behave like the current actual coach even if I can't get them to look a like.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Can't see that simming makes any difference as far as the playbook goes. I doubt the sim engine is even that advanced.

For head-to-head play though, yes - very important. And something Capa brought up that's 100% correct: some plays need to be axed. Plays with multiple short crossing routes don't work well at all. Those plays are INT-city. I dumped those plays from my playbooks a long time ago, and I have absolutely no issue anymore with crazy INT's and poor CPU QB performance.
baa,

Excellent! Do you have anyway of sharing these books with us? They are files that can be uploaded, no?

C
Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

finn you a are a godsend... its incredible how your editor works its flawless.. looking forward to your next update. do you have a target release date for it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »