Home

Idea for Finn's editor-- gauging interest

This is a discussion on Idea for Finn's editor-- gauging interest within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
Idea for Finn's editor-- gauging interest

I think the following 2 things would be a HUGE addition to the editor & I dont think they would be overly difficult to implement:

Currently, when we highlight several "rows" of players in the editor, either while viewing a roster or from the search results, any attempt to edit that group only allows us to change the equipment for them. I would like to be able to highlight any # of players from 2 to infinity, right-click the group, & choose to Global edit the attributes of JUST THOSE players. This way I could use the extremely detailed search tool or any combination of the unlimited filters to quickly set minimums for attributes or % scale up or down. For example, I could set CMP or CON minimum for veterans of a certain years experience. Or I could search to show all WRs-- highlight a certain group of them using CTRL or SHIFT-- like only highlight guys who drop many balls & then lower their CTH ratings for instance. Currently the global editor only lets us filter by team, pos or rookies only, which means I have to do a lot of one-by-one attribute changes.

So, I have asked Finn
(1) if it's possible to include this feature without too much trouble/work on his part; let us highlight any # of players & global edit them beyond just equipment

(2) for a "years experience" checkbox in the global attributes editor with options from zero to 20 (or whatever the max years experience is). To global edit veterans of a given experience level.

Would anyone else also see great value in this to save us time? (Daflyboys/Dan... i'm looking in your direction)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Idea for Finn's editor-- gauging interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
I think the following 2 things would be a HUGE addition to the editor & I dont think they would be overly difficult to implement:

Currently, when we highlight several "rows" of players in the editor, either while viewing a roster or from the search results, any attempt to edit that group only allows us to change the equipment for them. I would like to be able to highlight any # of players from 2 to infinity, right-click the group, & choose to Global edit the attributes of JUST THOSE players. This way I could use the extremely detailed search tool or any combination of the unlimited filters to quickly set minimums for attributes or % scale up or down. For example, I could set CMP or CON minimum for veterans of a certain years experience. Or I could search to show all WRs-- highlight a certain group of them using CTRL or SHIFT-- like only highlight guys who drop many balls & then lower their CTH ratings for instance. Currently the global editor only lets us filter by team, pos or rookies only, which means I have to do a lot of one-by-one attribute changes.

So, I have asked Finn
(1) if it's possible to include this feature without too much trouble/work on his part; let us highlight any # of players & global edit them beyond just equipment

(2) for a "years experience" checkbox in the global attributes editor with options from zero to 20 (or whatever the max years experience is). To global edit veterans of a given experience level.

Would anyone else also see great value in this to save us time? (Daflyboys/Dan... i'm looking in your direction)
I'll admit that's a great idea but if it's not 100% necessary, I dont think that its worth it because after my experience with the schedule glitch, I have realized that the more Finn adds, the higher the percentages are of coming across problems.

I dont want to come off as a jackass or anything but take for example, the depth chart. It's not needed in Finn's editor because it's in-game. The CPU changes everything anyway after week one and exporting/importing the depth chart wont work because once injuries occur, the CPU will change the depth chart even more. If you import a depth chart but several players were placed on IR by the CPU, I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to come across some problems.

The ability to switch from 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa is necessary because it cant be done in-game. The schedule editor is great and all that was needed was for us to set the time between 12pm and 12mid which it was but the minutes and stuff wasnt necessary as its not major. As long as I have the games set for 4pm, I could care less if im off by 15 minutes.

The coaching thing is awesome but if doesnt actually do anything, then what's the point when problems could arise from using it? Editing the head coach's name, photo and player model is necessary because we can get rid of all the non-existent coaches but if everything else that's linked with it doesnt affect anything in-game, then not only is there the possibility of coming across problems but even more important requires more time and testing from Finn and quite honestly, its simply amazing how much time, patience and effort he's put into his editors and he doesnt even charge people to download it.

I'm back to using Finn's editor from June 2006. Version .320. The salary cap feature is there as is the contract setup. Sure, I cant edit teams from 4-3 to 3-4 right now but the editor is stable and is the one that I used since he posted it until this month. If having a stable editor means losing out on other features including the ones that I want badly, then so be it.

You dont know how pissed off I would have been playing a franchise and then coming across that schedule glitch when trying to enter the playoffs, especially since I can finish a season in two days flat.

Just my honest opinion bud.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I have realized that the more Finn adds, the higher the percentages are of coming across problems
Sure, I cant edit teams from 4-3 to 3-4 right now but the editor is stable and is the one that I used since he posted it until this month. If having a stable editor means losing out on other features including the ones that I want badly, then so be it.

You dont know how pissed off I would have been playing a franchise and then coming across that schedule glitch when trying to enter the playoffs, especially since I can finish a season in two days flat.
^i think you're going a bit overboard here in the heat of your schedule discovery. i have done some pretty extensive franchise testing with the new features & not come across anything significant. furthermore, that first sentence is just a blatant unfounded blanket statement... the number of bugs ironed out from the earliest versions is just phenomenal & you're not giving him enough credit to even imply otherwise. there are virtually ZERO bugs outside of franchise mode which is incredible to say the least & if you do any significant testing before playing a season, all the bugs even in franchise mode are completely avoidable to-date.

just sim a few seasons before posting/playing anything & you're golden. i dont think that's too much to ask from any homebrew development, let alone the work of one lone man w/ a family & full time job. if you don't test your file up front, you have no one to be pissed off @ but the guy in the mirror

Quote:
The CPU changes everything anyway after week one and exporting/importing the depth chart wont work because once injuries occur, the CPU will change the depth chart even more. If you import a depth chart but several players were placed on IR by the CPU, I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to come across some problems.
im pretty sure the depth chart was just designed for roster use. finn has always said to test anything & put up various disclaimers like "editing ratings during a franchise may cause problems." having any expectations above that w/o first personally testing is just being unrealistic. having a reaction to a bad experience is in poor taste

Last edited by puja21; 09-28-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:

So, I have asked Finn

I will add the first and there will be no need to add the second because it could be done using search/grid filtering in conjunction with the first.

As for the schedule glitch: it had nothing to do with any code changes dealing with the schedule. I increased the size of the schedule buffer when I should not have. Simple fix: Just change the constant back to its original value.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I agree that highlighting entire positions for a given team at one time would have its' advantages, but if it's done at the expense of stability, then it's not worth it. I think that sometimes you guys get a little too concerned about the "exactness" of everything and aren't spending enough time doing what was meant in the first place....enjoying the game. Have fun with it. Currently, I'm in a custom season created in-game. I simply moved all the divisions around so that non-divisional opponents would change. I could care less that Philly is in the West and Cincy is in the South, etc. So maybe get back to the initial reason why you bought the game over the other crap that's out there.......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

New version is up with the ability to global edit selected players. Also think I fixed the schedule glitch but I am not near my xbox so I can't test.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
MVP

awesome finn!

that might be the fastest idea=>response=>dev=>release... in the history of software

roster editing just moved to lightspeed
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

Quote:
awesome finn!

that might be the fastest idea=>response=>dev=>release... in the history of software

roster editing just moved to lightspeed
Yeah, that one was easy, I already had to ability to global edit 1 player and I already had the list of selected players so I just needed loop through them all rather then only do the first player in the list.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »