Home

Finally, a challenge!!!

This is a discussion on Finally, a challenge!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Finally, a challenge!!!

Well, after going 16-0 with the Eagles during the 2006 NFL season using my 2K7 roster but losing in the Super Bowl to the Colts in OT 27-21, I decided that I needed to adjust the sliders to get more competitive and closer games. After playing the first regular season game of the 2004 NFL season with the Eagles against the Giants in Philly using my 2K7 roster with a custom level of difficulty, I finally had a challenge and for the most part, a close and competitive game. For anyone interested in my not so original or innovative setup that im going to be playing with, I posted it below after the game summary and the stats.

Game Summary -

I won the coin toss and received the ball first to start the game. On the first play from scrimmage, Demps gets an INT. Three plays later, Manning finds Finn wide open for a 15 yard TD pass reception. My second possession ends with a punt after a three and out. Giants have possession at their own 36 yard line. On the fifth play with it being 2nd & 5, Barber runs for 43 yards and a TD.

NYG: 14
PHI: 0

Second quarter. I finally get something going with an 8 play drive that ended with a 20 yard TD pass from McNabb to G. Lewis. I'm down 14-7. Giants have possession at their own 20 yard line. On the fourth play from scrimmage, Manning throws his only INT of the game to M. Lewis. I dont waste any time. Three plays was all it took to tie up the game after an 18 yard TD pass from McNabb to Brown. Game is now tied at 14.

2:47 left in the second quarter. Giants have possession after I tied the game, go three and out and punt. With 2:07 left, I have the ball at my own 48 yard line. Three plays is all it took as I throw my 3rd TD pass with McNabb, this time finding Brown with a 14 yard hookup in the endzone. Giants now have possession with 1:23 left in the 2nd. Manning finds Burress on the first play from scrimmage with an 11 yard inside slant. Burress stiff arms Dawkins to the ground, breaks a M. Lewis tackle and runs 55 more yards for an 80 yard TD. Game tied at 21.

I get back possession with 1:12 remaining in the first half. I go on an 8 play drive with the highlights being two 20 yard receptions by Brown. McNabb finds Brown for a 3 yard TD to get back the lead 28-21 with :06 remaining in the half.

NYG: 21
PHI: 28 Halftime

Giants start with possession in the second half but punted the ball. I have the ball at my own 16 yard line with 3:13 remaining. I move down the field to get to the Giants 36 in five plays. On the sixth play with it being 3rd and Inches, I run up the middle with Westbrook for 3 yards but he fumbles the ball forced by Demps and recovered by Wilson. Giants have the ball at their own 35 with 1:16 left in the 3rd. On the fourth play during the possession, Barber runs up the middle for a 22 yard TD. Game tied at 28.

Fourth quarter. After the kickoff return by Mahe, I start out at my own 28 yard line. On first and ten, McNabb uses play action to find Stallworth running up the middle to complete the pass at the Giants 48 yard line and then proceed to outrun Demps and Wilson for a 72 yard TD reception. Eagles lead 35-28.

Giants now have possession at their own 19 yard line with 4:42 remaining. They run five plays but on the sixth play with it being 3rd and 5 at their own 42 yard line, I sack Manning with Howard causing him to fumble the ball in the process but the Giants recover the fumble at their own 34 yard line. Feagles then punts. With possession at my own 42 yard line and 2:49 remaining, I dont hold back, going on a four play drive that got me to the Giants 29 yard line. On 4th and 2 and 9 mph winds, I connect on a 46 yard FG by the lefty Akers. I lead 38-28.

Giants have possession after the kickoff at their own 20 yard line due to a touchback. Giants get called for a holding penalty on 1st and 10 making it now 1st and 20 at their own 10 yard line. After five plays, the Giants are now at my 48 yard line with 1:20 remaining in regulation. On 1st and 10, Manning gets sacked by Kearse who also forces a fumble but it's recovered by McKenzie. 2nd and 18 at their own 46. Manning completes a 15 yard pass to Burress. 3rd and 3 at my 39 yard line. Manning converts with a 24 yard pass to Burress.

Manning spikes the ball with :56 seconds remaining bringing up 2nd and 10 at my 15 yard line. On 2nd and 10, I sack Manning with Kearse for a loss of 7 yards which brings up 3rd and 17 at my 22 yard line. On 3rd and 17, Manning passes to Toomer for a 22 yard TD with :33 seconds remaining. Extra point is good. I still lead 38-35 with :33 seconds left.

Giants go for the onside kick but it's recovered by Bloom at the Giants 41 yard line. I return it 3 yards and get tackled by Moss who causes me to fumble the ball. Morton recovers the ball giving the Giants possession. After two incomplete passes, Manning throws a short pass to Barber on 3rd and 10 and runs for 11 yards getting knocked out of bounds at their own 48 yard line with :17 seconds remaining. On 1st and 10 and no timeouts, Manning's pass up the middle is complete to Toomer for a gain of 19 yards but the clock is still running with :12 seconds remaining. Instead of spiking the ball, the Giants bring out Feely for a 50 yard FG attempt as time continues to decrease. They line up and snap the ball. The snap and hold is good but Feely's kick sails right as time expires and the Eagles (me) hold on for a thrilling 38-35 win.

Anyway, here are my final game stats for the Giants/Eagles game.

NYG: 14 7 7 7 - 35
PHI: 0 28 0 10 - 38

McNabb: 19/28 (68%), 337, 5 TD, INT, 133.5 QB rating
Manning: 16/27 (59%), 317, 3 TD, INT, 3 sacks, 2 fumbles (none lost), 122.0 QB rating

Westbrook: 6/47, FUM (lost)
Barber: 18/125, 2 TD
McNabb: 3/21

Stallworth: 8/157, TD
R. Brown: 8/123, 3 TD
G. Lewis: 1/20, TD
Avant: 1/20
Smith: 1/17

Burress: 7/166, TD
Toomer: 5/99, TD
Finn: 2/31, TD
Moss: 2/21

Dawkins/S. Brown: 6 tackles
Wilson: 5 tackles

Kearse: 2 sacks, FF
Howard: sack, FF

M. Lewis: INT
Demps: INT, FF

Moss: FF

Wilson/Morton/Snee/McKenzie: FUM REC

Akers: 1/1 FG, 5/5 XP, 7 kickoffs (one touchback)
Feely: 0/1 FG, 5/5 XP, 6 kickoffs (one touchback)

Johnson: 1/40
Feagles: 3/102

Mahe: 3 KR for 68 yards
Perry: 1 KR for 21 yards
Bloom: 1 KR for 3 yards, FUM (lost)
Morton: 5 KR for 119 yards
Ward: 1 KR for 16 yards

Mahe: 2 PR for 17 yards

First Downs -
NYG: 13
PHI: 14

Total Yards -
NYG: 442
PHI: 405

Passing Yards -
NYG: 317
PHI: 337

Rushing Yards -
NYG: 125
PHI: 68

3rd Down Conversions -
NYG: 7/9 (78%)
PHI: 2/3 (67%)

Redzone -
NYG: 2/2 (2 TD)
PHI: 3/3 (3 TD)

Passing Plays -
NYG: 30
PHI: 28

Rushing Plays -
NYG: 18
PHI: 9

Average Field Position -
NYG: Own 29
PHI: Own 30

Penalties -
NYG: 2/19
PHI: none

Turnovers -
NYG: 1
PHI: 3

Points Off Turnovers -
NYG: 14
PHI: 7

Time Of Possession -
NYG: 11:34
PHI: 8:26

Below is how im playing my Eagles franchise but with two exceptions. First, after setting up the difficulty to Legend, I maxed out the CPU's sliders to 40 while I keep my (human) sliders setup at 10. I also took a page out of daflyboys slider setup by adjusting the fumble slider based on the weather. For clear weather games, I leave the fumble slider at 20 (default) with snowy games set at 30 and for rainy games, I max it out at 40. The above game was a rainy game. I maxed out the fumble slider before kickoff and while there were 4 fumbles total, there were none in the first half. I had two fumbles and lost both while Manning fumbled twice but the Giants recovered both.

OPTIONS -

Difficulty: Custom (human: 10, cpu: 40)
Penalties: On (all)
Penalty Sliders: Default (as is)
Fumble Slider: Custom (default (20) for clear weather games, 30 for snowy games and 40 (max) for for rainy games)
Interception Slider: Default (as is)
Injury Slider: Default (as is)

Quarter Length: 5 minutes
Play Calling: By Formation
Speed: Normal
Challenges: On
Coach Mode: Off
Performance EQ: Off
Hot Routes: Off

Player Indicator: Name
Action Replays: Off
Stat Overlays: On
On Screen Text: On
Sports Ticker: Off
Vibration: Off

Audio Presentation: Custom
TV Broadcast Volume: Max
PA Volume: Max
Sound Effects Volume: Max
Crowd Volume: Max
Player Voice Volume: Max
Menu Music: Off
Crib Music: Crib Only
Use Custom Stadium Music: Off

FRANCHISE OPTIONS -

Pre-Season: On
Weekly Prep: Off
First Person: Off
Customize League: Off
Fantasy Draft Roster: Off
Trade Deadline: On
Owner Firing: Off
Edit Rookies: Off
Simulate Quarter Length: 5 minutes

Draft Players: Player
Sign Draft Picks: Player
Re-Sign Players: Player
Sign and Release Players: Player
Update Depth Chart: Player

GAMEPLAY OPTIONS -

CAMERA -

Camera: Standard
QB Pivot: On
Runner Pivot: Off
Pass Play Zoom Out: Off

AUTO SUBSTITUTIONS -

Auto Subs In: 5%
Auto Subs Out: 5%
Injury Status: Healthy

If anyone has any comments, please feel free to post them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Finally, a challenge!!!

nice. Looks like a typical NFC East grinder.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoons21
nice. Looks like a typical NFC East grinder.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call that a grinder as I would think of that as scoring in the teens. It seems that you still have a very offense heavy set up, dan, as you have 73 total points in 20 minutes! That equates to better than a FG every minute! It seems that you have the difficulty set up much improved from what you had and good to see the INT's kept to a minimum. Keep at it boss!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Do you play with any "House Rules" ?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Well, I wouldn't exactly call that a grinder as I would think of that as scoring in the teens. It seems that you still have a very offense heavy set up, dan, as you have 73 total points in 20 minutes! That equates to better than a FG every minute! It seems that you have the difficulty set up much improved from what you had and good to see the INT's kept to a minimum. Keep at it boss!
The above stats from the NYG @ PHI game was from the 2004 NFL season schedule using my 2K7 roster file.

I started the Eagles 2006 NFL season schedule using my 2K7 roster file earlier today and im currently 4-2. WR Donte Stallworth who was injured in week 5 against the Cowboys is out for the season with a torn MCL. I placed him on IR and created WR Hank Baskett to the franchise file and signed him to my roster but because he was an UDFA in 2006, I only have him rated 40 overall. Baskett is my 5th WR on the depth chart. FS Brian Dawkins suffered a dislocated elbow in week one against the Texans and missed five games with the injury. He'll return in my next game against the Buccaneers. DE Jevon Kearse suffered a torn bicep against the Saints and is out for four weeks.

Stat wise, im doing average at best. I have 1400 yards passing with McNabb with 12 TD's and 10 INT's. I have been sacked five time. Fumbles are the main story as Westbrook has fumbled five times, losing four of them. Brown fumbled and lost the fumble. In my loss to the Texans, I had four turnovers with three of them being lost fumbles. In my second loss to the Cowboys, I threw 6 INT's with McNabb as I was horrible.

Defensively, im nowhere near what I did on Legend. Kearse has 10.5 sacks but considering that he had 52 in my undefeated season, I would say that's pretty bad in comparison. Bunkley, Howard and Patterson had 10+ each in my undefeated season but thus far, have a combined sack total of 3.5. Interception wise, I had 6 total with M. Lewis leading with 4.

Here are my scores thus far -

Week 1: @ HOU (L 24-21 in OT due to a Brown FG)
Week 2: vs NYG (W 33-16)
Week 3: @ SF (W 31-28 in OT with an Akers FG)
Week 4: vs GB (W 10-7 on a GW Akers FG)
Week 5: vs DAL (L 35-13. Was down 21-13 and was ready to score a TD but instead threw an INT that was returned for a TD. I then threw another INT after that. Easily, my worst game thus far and one of the worst game's that I have ever had in 2K5)
Week 6: @ NO (W 31-7. Rebounded nicely and without Stallworth)

Somewhat high scoring but since Westbrook cant seem to hang on the ball, I have been passing a lot. I can tell you that playing on this custom level of difficulty, I have had tough games each and every week. The Giants game wasnt really close but the Saints game had me losing 7-3 late 2nd quarter. McNabb was sacked and fumbled which was recovered by NO and returned for a TD. I was losing 14-3 but the CPU challenged the play and it was overturned in my favor. I went on to score and eventually, blow them out. It was all because of that one play.

Overall, my season has been challenging thus far despite the two blowouts and injuries arent helping me especially the Stallworth season ending injury.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Do you play with any "House Rules" ?
Not really but I make sure that there are no trades by the CPU. I dont participate in trades either because I only want players who should be on the Eagles. Other than adjusting the fumble slider based on the weather of the game, the only other thing that I do in-game is that if I win the coin toss, I always receive the ball. The reason why I do this is because the game is flawed in this regard. If you win the coin toss and decide to kickoff instead, you're losing your chance at the ball. In reality, the team that wins the coin toss always receives the ball because if they dont, the other team receives the kickoff to start the game and the second half. The game is flawed in this regard which is why I always receive the ball to start the game if I win the coin toss.

Other than that, I have no house rules.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I think all games do this with the coin toss.....I do as you do and always receive.

While I love 2K, I have found that the flag route is money, so I never throw that pattern. And I never run with the QB in any video football game.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I think all games do this with the coin toss.....I do as you do and always receive.

While I love 2K, I have found that the flag route is money, so I never throw that pattern. And I never run with the QB in any video football game.
I allow myself to run...but never to speed burst w/ the QB. Try it. It's brutal!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »