Home

Graphics...they hold up well!

This is a discussion on Graphics...they hold up well! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Graphics...they hold up well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
It's actually pretty amazing how great 2K5 still looks. Madden looks great...especially this year. But for an Xbox game from 2004?? 2K5 STILL delivers, IMO.

I run my Xbox via component hookup into my HD set (52" JVC Dila) and I still think in a few ways it's better than Madden 08, gfx-wise.

The player models look great..players look more organic, their heads fit their helmets better, the textures of the uni's look great, and the NUMBER SIZE is accurate! Nice, big numbers on jerseys. The team colors aren't always 100% right (Seahawks blue is too light, for example) but in just about all other ways the unis rock in 2K5 (with great assortment of alts!).

Animations still look fantastic after all this time, and when you watch replays it can sometimes look nearly real.

The stadiums have a great sense of space and atmosphere, with excellent city detailing (for example, the buildings are all pretty much in the right place in Seattle, and the right scale). Stadium and surroundings textures aren't necessarily the best, but the overall artwork is so good it can be easily forgiven.

I love the cutscenes to the fans in the home colors doing their stuff, too. Great cheerleaders. Great fan signs everywhere.

I LOVE that we have chain gangs, on-field ref crews that follow the action (and are even able to be used as screens!), and great sideline activity.

2K5 has the details, which adds so much to the overall atmostphere. No the textures aren't hi-res like the new games for 360, but that makes it all the more amazing that this comparatively 'low res' game still looks so damn good on my big tv. The ESPN fonts look great and sharp, too.

This game is nearly timeless. One of the big advantages VC had graphically is that they were ahead of their time, IMO. Can't wait to see what they do with APF 2K9 graphically.
I agree with the exception of the following -

1) Overall, 2K5 still blows away Madden next gen in graphics, player models, presentation and overall visuals except for the stadiums. As much as I hate Madden, I must admit that the stadiums look better in Madden than they do in 2K5. And quite honestly, they should considering the fact that EA went to every damn stadium in a helicopter and videotaped every stadium and then rendered it in-game as it was in reality.

2) I love the cutscenes but I hate the cheerleader ones. Seriously, I actually think that there should be a picture in picture featuring "cheerleader cam" on Sundays but I hate when games put cheerleaders in a damn game. Either put FMV or something of real women and dont bother at all. And I feel sorry for anyone who gets "turned on" by video game women.

Other than those two exceptions, I agree 100%.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meazza
I actually think 2k5 looks much better on a standard tv. I've played it on hd widescreen, and it just doesn't look right; it looks way to stretched. I hooked it up to an old flatscreen, standard def tv and it looked great.
2K5 actually will run in widescreen mode for a (mostly) correct presentation with no Stretch-O-Vision. My Xbox is hooked up via component cables and enabled for all the higher def settings on the system menu. It looks as good as it can!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I agree with the exception of the following -

1) Overall, 2K5 still blows away Madden next gen in graphics, player models, presentation and overall visuals except for the stadiums. As much as I hate Madden, I must admit that the stadiums look better in Madden than they do in 2K5. And quite honestly, they should considering the fact that EA went to every damn stadium in a helicopter and videotaped every stadium and then rendered it in-game as it was in reality.

2) I love the cutscenes but I hate the cheerleader ones. Seriously, I actually think that there should be a picture in picture featuring "cheerleader cam" on Sundays but I hate when games put cheerleaders in a damn game. Either put FMV or something of real women and dont bother at all. And I feel sorry for anyone who gets "turned on" by video game women.

Other than those two exceptions, I agree 100%.
Hey, I'll take 98% agreement any day!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
And I feel sorry for anyone who gets "turned on" by video game women.
I agree on the 2K5 cheerleaders.

Now, the cheerleaders on Tecmo SB on the NES........That is another story. "Halftime....mmmmm......oh yeah. Come to papa ladies."
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I agree on the 2K5 cheerleaders.

Now, the cheerleaders on Tecmo SB on the NES........That is another story. "Halftime....mmmmm......oh yeah. Come to papa ladies."
LOL

I think the cheerleaders are a nice addition in that at least they don't repulse the viewer.

Not one of those that's turned on by them, but I'm not diametrically opposed to a digital boobie shimmy in between quarters, either

Also, I do agree with Dan777 that Madden's stadiums and surroundings are real purdy...and like he said, they SHOULD be. With the power of the 360, we should be a little closer to photorealism for that sort of thing, even.

It'll be interesting to see where we're at in three or four years with football game graphics.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah widescreen support is great on it. The best is my TV has a setting called Virtual HD which upconverts the game to 1080i. Since the source isn't HD it's not like it's awesome but it helps.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
And quite honestly, they should considering the fact that EA went to every damn stadium in a helicopter and videotaped every stadium and then rendered it in-game as it was in reality.
Cripes...no wonder NFL ticket prices are so high! lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Cripes...no wonder NFL ticket prices are so high! lol
Oh man...there's a whole other 'soapbox' subject right there!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »