Home

This game needs something...

This is a discussion on This game needs something... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: This game needs something...

Lmao dfb! After reading you're comment, I reread my post in a Dr. Phil voice. Makes perfect sense!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 21

QB play is "broken" in 2K5. As much as it pains me to say that, it is true. The best you can do is pump up their critical attributes and hope for the best.

I have taken QBs and made their Pass Read Coverage and Pass Accuracy 120 (using Finn's editor) with an aggression rating of 0 and have still seen them throw into double and triple coverage. Now, you WILL get better play on the whole and in the long run with inflated ratings, but it will not alleviate the problem overall.

I really believe there is a huge dependency on the playbook used as well. Some of the plays are alot more "risky" and I don't think the programmers got to the point where the cpu QB really functions with the kind of AI we as gamers were hoping for. I think there are alot of pre-determined intended receivers regardless of whether they are open or not. I think that has a lot to do with the issue. I've just seen it too many times to think otherwise.

But the other guys are right...you can do things to help "soften" the problem such as raising QB ratings as mentioned, lowering DBs ratings for Coverage, Agility, and Aggression. But overall the problem will not go away.

You will still see things that will make you want to throw the controller. However, the good outweighs the bad in this game by a longshot, and you just have to sort of "suspend disbelief" as you would when watching a movie...some things are going to happen that shouldn't.

C
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Rookie

Malignant's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoons21
You guys all seem happy with the game still, how do you do it? You know I love/loved this game, but I'm struggling to find the joy still even with these great rosters.
Personally I get my franchise enjoyment from NFL 2K4, whilst leaving the updated 2K5 rosters for exhibition matches only (without worrying about the stats etc).

For me, apart from lowering the kickers accuracy and consistency ratings (coupled with my sliders), 2K4 plays a really good franchise mode. The only blotch is the low number of tackles CPU CB's get, although I don't think 2K5 fixed this issue either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 19

I think that part of it may have to do with HB, FB, WR, and TE catch, consistency, and run route ratings. I have found that if you raise catch and run route ratings to at least 70 for HB, FB, and TE and 80 for WR, it helps out with the amount of drops they have, which affects comp %.

If somebody wanted to do the research, you could probably find out online how many throws in the NFL go into double or triple coverage. While I think it is high on this game, it may not be as high as we think as opposed to real life.

Another potential help for this is to minimize the zone plays used in playbooks, forcing the defenses to run more man to man. The zone defense seems to be pretty stellar in this game. Just some food for thought...
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
Personally I get my franchise enjoyment from NFL 2K4, whilst leaving the updated 2K5 rosters for exhibition matches only (without worrying about the stats etc).

For me, apart from lowering the kickers accuracy and consistency ratings (coupled with my sliders), 2K4 plays a really good franchise mode. The only blotch is the low number of tackles CPU CB's get, although I don't think 2K5 fixed this issue either.
Why's 2K4's franchise better than 2K5? I only had 2K4 for a brief period of time. I don't even remember playing normal games, just 1st person view
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
If somebody wanted to do the research, you could probably find out online how many throws in the NFL go into double or triple coverage. While I think it is high on this game, it may not be as high as we think as opposed to real life..
I was about to say/ask that. I doubt there's a stat for this, but there's a reputation factor out there. I mean look at Favre last week throwing into double coverage and luckily ending up with a touchdown!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 20

also, IMO safeties in the game cover waaay more ground during the throw than in the NFL (plus dbs have "QB eyes" at all times no matter which way they are looking).

in 2k5's cover-2, single coverage often becomes double coverage while the ball is in the air.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Maybe, too, since this game's release, many people realized that it was/is the closest we've had to the real deal, we've expected much, much more out of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »