Home

NOOB QUESTION ABOUT ROSTERS

This is a discussion on NOOB QUESTION ABOUT ROSTERS within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5
NOOB QUESTION ABOUT ROSTERS

Hey Everybody,

I've been a LOYAL Madden gamer for a long time. I did purchase 2K5 when it first came out, and I absolutely loved it. It was the closest thing to a REAL NFL broadcast that I've ever seen, and the gameplay was amazing. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't as big on "sim" style gameplay as I am now. Back then I used to be content with blowing out the CPU 56-0, and having disgustingly inflated stats.

Now, my tastes have changed severely. After EA gained the exclusive license, I went right back to Madden. I have to say, every year I've had to do significant editing in order to obtain the sim-style gameplay/stats that I crave. Madden 09 was no different, as I have spent more hours editing this game than I have actually playing it. After getting the gameplay "somewhat" close to what I wanted, the main things that are missing is presentation and atmosphere. Unfortunately, those aren't things that Madden can provide. So regardless of how "realistic" the gameplay and the stats are, the games seem to just drag on because there's nothing in there to "pull" you into the game. I've always been weary of jumping back to first-gen games because of the graphics aspect, but I don't think that this year's version of Madden is going to do it for me. I play a 32 team franchise, and I don't foresee myself being content with lackluster presentation and atmosphere. Sooner or later, I'll just end up giving up altogether, so I thought why not give 2K5 another shot.

Today was the first time that I started trolling the 2K threads to get an idea about downloading rosters and such. It seems like quite the extensive process for those of us who are used to using the Datel Transfer Kit. However, I'm still extremely interested in doing this based on all of the feedback that I've read regarding Puja's rosters.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) I have both an Xbox and Xbox360. Being that the process is so much more involved for getting the rosters onto the 360, I was wondering how much easier the process is for getting the rosters onto the current-gen Xbox.

2) Which one is better? Being that 2K5 would basically be emulated onto the 360, is there really anything that would be drastically different on the 360 from the regular Xbox? I mean, are there any noticeable graphic enhancements when playing on the 360 versus on the regular Xbox?

I know it was a really long post, but please keep in mind this is an extremely disappointed Madden gamer who's desperately trying to get a good sim football season in.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NOOB QUESTION ABOUT ROSTERS

It's not easy to go into the light.....but once you do......

1. I've not attempted porting to our 360 for my own reasons. But, as far as the regular XBox, it's too easy. You should be able to find an Action Replay kit with no problem, new or used. The sense I get from reading around here is that some 360 owners are running into more glitches. The downfall is that the game update (not rosters) is essential for some fixes. However, if you don't have an XBL account, you'd need to have one of those "special" xboxes to import a file from someone (see puja).

2. This is not to say I haven't taken a look at 2K5 on the 360. As best I can tell/see there is no graphical enhancement b/c you're limited to what the game outputs. I have actually read that trying to make it a high def game is not wise as it wasn't designed for that and you might be asking for jaggies.

In game play sim stats may be another issue. The main critcism of this game is QB performance without editing various things. I'm going to be editing puja's roster (his permission) when he finalizes it with attribute changes that me and capa talked about before around here (do a search).

Welcome!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

itbeme23,

Funny to see you here, as I've ended up here too. Although I have PS3, I'm playing with the 08 rosters and schedules and its awesome!

I think next year will be first year I don't get Madden (unless they purchase All-Pro Football license from 2k - same engine as NFL2k5, just next-genned!)

Good luck itbeme23. The process should be fairly easy. I think I used Steelersfan85s franchise setup that was a 32 team franchise, updated rosters and schedules.

The graphics, PS3 vs PS2, seem better on PS3 (I"ve upscaled to Full-Screen) than PS2 -except crowd (always ugly).

Last edited by bigpapa_bliss; 10-29-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

I have both the 360 and the Xbox1. No major difference seen playng on 360. Xbox1 is a million times easier to get roster, files to than the 360. Fire up the old black box. It's not such a bad machine anyway, now is it?

C
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
It's not easy to go into the light.....but once you do......

1. I've not attempted porting to our 360 for my own reasons. But, as far as the regular XBox, it's too easy. You should be able to find an Action Replay kit with no problem, new or used. The sense I get from reading around here is that some 360 owners are running into more glitches. The downfall is that the game update (not rosters) is essential for some fixes. However, if you don't have an XBL account, you'd need to have one of those "special" xboxes to import a file from someone (see puja).

2. This is not to say I haven't taken a look at 2K5 on the 360. As best I can tell/see there is no graphical enhancement b/c you're limited to what the game outputs. I have actually read that trying to make it a high def game is not wise as it wasn't designed for that and you might be asking for jaggies.

In game play sim stats may be another issue. The main critcism of this game is QB performance without editing various things. I'm going to be editing puja's roster (his permission) when he finalizes it with attribute changes that me and capa talked about before around here (do a search).

Welcome!
Daflyboys,

Thanks for your quick response. Yeah, the more I think about this years version of Madden, the more I feel like I got duped and cheated by EA. Being that I have both the regular XBOX and the 360, it would kind of make sense for me to just try out both versions and see if there's anything noticeable about with the graphics (which I doubt). I can try out the current gen version for now because I don't need as many gadgets in order to get up and running, and if and when Microsoft sends me the transfer cable for the 360, then I can try that on for size. I think I can live with that.

One thing that kind of confused me was the whole XBL account thing. I do have one for the 360, and I was wondering exactly how that relates to downloading puja's rosters. Did I miss something?

On a semi-related topic, can you enlighten me about Finn's editor? I see a lot of people throwing that term around, and I just wanted to know exactly what it is and if I need that in order to download the rosters.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm pretty upset that your Phillies are one game away from winning it all. My Dodgers should've had both Game 1 and Game 4 of the NLDS, and we should've taken a 3-1 lead back to Philly. Dodgers would've won in 7!!!

BUT....I'm not bitter.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa_bliss
itbeme23,

Funny to see you here, as I've ended up here too. Although I have PS3, I'm playing with the 08 rosters and schedules and its awesome!

I think next year will be first year I don't get Madden (unless they purchase All-Pro Football license from 2k - same engine as NFL2k5, just next-genned!)

Good luck itbeme23. The process should be fairly easy. I think I used Steelersfan85s franchise setup that was a 32 team franchise, updated rosters and schedules.

The graphics, PS3 vs PS2, seem better on PS3 (I"ve upscaled to Full-Screen) than PS2 -except crowd (always ugly).
You're ears must've been ringing, BigPapa, because I was about to PM you about this right now! I saw your posts as I was trolling the threads, and I knew I was doing the right thing once I did!!! LOL. In all seriousness, EA should be ashamed of themselves. When we can go back to a four-year old game and get MORE enjoyment out it than out of a "next-gen" title, then something is DEFINITELY wrong.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I have both the 360 and the Xbox1. No major difference seen playng on 360. Xbox1 is a million times easier to get roster, files to than the 360. Fire up the old black box. It's not such a bad machine anyway, now is it?

C
Capa,

I was thinking to do the same thing myself. Being that I have both machines, I was just going to end up trying both methods anyway. I figured it's going to take awhile for Microsoft to send me the transfer cable anyway, so I'll just fire up the "old black box" in the meantime.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 15

itbeme23.............

I personally think that it's better to play 2K5 on the original Xbox for a handful of reasons.

1) 2K5's game engine was programmed and designed for Xbox (and then ported over to PS2).

2) I dont own a 360 but there's not going to be any difference graphics wise because again, the game was done for the original Xbox.

3) It's much quicker and easier to transfer roster and franchise files to and from your PC using the original Xbox and the Action Replay.

4) I may be wrong on this but I actually purchased an Xport for 360 after 2K5 went backwards compatible but decided against buying 360 because from what I read, you have to remove the 360's hard drive in order to transfer the files on to it and that if you dont know what you're doing (which I never do, lol), you can screw up the 360's hard drive.

5) While the controllers are the same, if you plan on playing 2K5 a LOT, then why waste extra money on batteries for the 360 controller when you can use that money to buy the Action Replay instead.

Regarding the Xbox Live account -

It's not required for rosters or to use Finn's edior. The main thing is that if you can get on Live on your original Xbox and go online with 2K5, it will download the update which solves the clipping penalty glitch on offensive/defensive plays even though it still exists on punt returns but im more concerned about my RB's stats than the PR.

Regarding Finn's editor -

No, you dont need it to download or transfer rosters but trust me, you will want it because Finn's editor allows you to do so many things that cant be done in-game. In fact, if it wasnt for his edior, we wouldnt be having this conversation because there wouldnt be any updated rosters, schedules, coaches, etc. I owned 2K5 on PS2 and purchased a brand new and factory sealed Xbox, a laptop, AR and 2K5 just so I could use Finn's editor. The only positive that I would give the PS2 version is that the controller is perfect but that's a minor complaint considering all the huge positives you get by using Finn's editor.

Finn's editor also supports the PS2 version of 2K5 but im not sure if the update that fixes the clipping penalty is available on PS2. Also, if you dont have the HDD for PS2, you'll only get photos of highlights instead of actual video highlights and trust me, there's a difference.

Overall, the Xbox is the best and easiest version of 2K5 in my opinion.

Hope this helps and welcome to the 2K5 forums.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »