Home

The Running Game Findings

This is a discussion on The Running Game Findings within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: The Running Game Findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjordan
ok so according to the excel doc,
if you change the vikings pct as listed,
In games you play,
instead of the vikings passing 55% of the time and running 45% of the time,
they will now be passing 47% running / 53% of the time?
In the coaches profile there are 2 fields for influencing the coach's formation calls. You can set a percentage for running plays and passing plays. This doesn't affect the run/pass calls. My suspicion after looking at these values was that the CPU was putting themselves in passing formations too often. And would never set-up the run.

There is also a setting for the coach's run/pass percent.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #58
MVP

Ringo,

Just wanted to say, that what I did was type in San Fran's default playbook percentages for SD's. And because of that Dallas and the 49's (also uses SD) are wrong.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Ringo,

Just wanted to say, that what I did was type in San Fran's default playbook percentages for SD's. And because of that Dallas and the 49's (also uses SD) are wrong.
Gottcha. Was the spreadsheet helpfull? I tried to find a site that would give us a good base for how much teams use each formation. SI.com comes close, but some of the numbers don't add up. The have an option where you can click a player, say Romo, for example and you click on "split" and about 3 quarters of the way down the page it will give you the number of attempts out of that particular formation, but like I said the numbers are squed. It does the same for the RB's as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #60
MVP

First here's the updated franchise file and my spreadsheet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Puja Franchise Increase Running v 1.1.zip (273.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf JRod NFL 2k5 Formation Sheet.pdf (50.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by JRod; 02-11-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #61
MVP

Ringo,

SI is a good base for assigning playbooks but to use it to assign percentages for run/pass formations, would screw up the running game.

So what would happen is that you would assign too much weight to a formation that doesn't have a lot of plays. Instead I would reassign another team's playbook with their percentages to match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

JRod,
I don't watch the 49ers play much, but they don't use the Shotgun formation? The only reason I ask is based on our previous posts and they have it available. On the other formations that have been zeroed out they don't have that formation available.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #63
MVP

In Puja's file he's assigned the 49ers the Chargers playbook. So they will have the shotgun.

You also have to remember that these playbooks are designed for the NFL 04-05 season. You are comparing what's going on in real life with what the default playbooks are.

I'm not saying that the playbooks are realistic and that's why there probably needs to be serious work done moving playbooks around to get more realism.

This isn't a realism fix but rather what this does is zeros out unused formations and weight formations with the most amount of plays. The SF default playbook has no shotgun. My chart lists the default playbook so you can use those values.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #64
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

JRod, can you upload that formation sheet as an Excel sheet? I'd like to add some defensive stuff for myself and be able to sort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »