Home

Offensive Linemen

This is a discussion on Offensive Linemen within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Offensive Linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
I dunno if I've noticed that. The only difference I've noticed in the pass protection is when I use the "power pocket" cheat.

Speaking of that, is there such a thing as a "quick release" on the quarterbacks? I seem to be getting sacked lately when the ball should be, according to my judgment, getting thrown. Like I hit the darn button right before the defender gets there and then BANG! Sack city! wtf? Am I just getting too ballsy with my passing?

I always let the CPU do whatever it's gonna do. But about the only QB I've seen do it in-game is Brady.
Power Pocket cheat??? What's that?

I know exactly how you feel in regards to thinking that you should have passed the ball but instead you get sacked. I think it's because the stupid buttons also act as pump fakes so instead of passing the ball, the QB pump fakes and gets sacked. I hate that. There's a pump fake button so why VC decided to put that on the main buttons, I'll never know. I sometimes get arrogant when playing with DAL with Romo and T.O..

I think he meant the defense. The defense always audibles and whatnot. I usually let the defense set themselves before snapping the ball because I seem to do worse when the defense is in transition as opposed to being set. Offensively, Manning is only QB that I see audible consistently.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Power Pocket cheat??? What's that?
Use The Flying One's editor to cheat your VIP. It'll unlock all the cheats. Then it's part pf the in-game menu. I can't remember the exact location of the first menu selection, but underneath it'll say "cheats".

Quote:
I know exactly how you feel in regards to thinking that you should have passed the ball but instead you get sacked. I think it's because the stupid buttons also act as pump fakes so instead of passing the ball, the QB pump fakes and gets sacked. I hate that. There's a pump fake button so why VC decided to put that on the main buttons, I'll never know. I sometimes get arrogant when playing with DAL with Romo and T.O..
on the ps2 version the pump fake is it's own button, like L2, I think. Tapping a button twice makes me nervous. I don't like that cuz it could just throw it anyway and get intercepted. I used to pump fake to the wrong receiver before I threw the ball.

But I think I get sacked cuz the sack animation starts a 1/10 of a second before I press the button. Maybe there's just a delay in my wireless controller.

Incidentally, you ever notice how play-action works against zone coverage, but not so much the blitz?

Quote:
I think he meant the defense. The defense always audibles and whatnot. I usually let the defense set themselves before snapping the ball because I seem to do worse when the defense is in transition as opposed to being set. Offensively, Manning is only QB that I see audible consistently.

Ah, yes, the defense. I always let it do what's it gonna do so I can audible or call hot routes. I do occasionally quick snap the ball, but it's only on run plays when the defense is right where I want them.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
Rookie

airkix72's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Speaking of that, is there such a thing as a "quick release" on the quarterbacks? I seem to be getting sacked lately when the ball should be, according to my judgment, getting thrown. Like I hit the darn button right before the defender gets there and then BANG! Sack city! wtf? Am I just getting too ballsy with my passing?
I've noticed this phenomenon too. I'll be in a passing animation and my quarterback will be almost done with the animation and if I'm getting sacked I'll hold on to the ball, BUT if the CPU is in the passing animation and I start a sack they will release it every time, not getting sacked.
I think it's just one of the advantages the CPU gets, cause all CPUs cheat in some way shape or form to keep up with the player.

my 2 cents
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Use The Flying One's editor to cheat your VIP. It'll unlock all the cheats. Then it's part pf the in-game menu. I can't remember the exact location of the first menu selection, but underneath it'll say "cheats".
Okay, nevermind. I "turn off" VIP as I dont want to have anything to do with the Crap...er, I mean, the Crib.

Quote:
on the ps2 version the pump fake is it's own button, like L2, I think. Tapping a button twice makes me nervous. I don't like that cuz it could just throw it anyway and get intercepted. I used to pump fake to the wrong receiver before I threw the ball.
On Xbox, it's the white/clear button. Even if you tap it once, the QB will still sometimes do a pump fake instead of lobbing the ball. I hate that. I would never make the main passing buttons used for pump faking. It's annoying. I never pump fake. If my QB pumps fake, it's what I didnt want to do.

Quote:
But I think I get sacked cuz the sack animation starts a 1/10 of a second before I press the button. Maybe there's just a delay in my wireless controller.
There could be a delay. I remember using a PS2 controller on Xbox and there was a delay with that. I know it's two different things but that's just a thought. I think sometimes you'll get sacked just because the CPU wants you to get sacked.

Quote:
Incidentally, you ever notice how play-action works against zone coverage, but not so much the blitz?
Actually, I have used play action against the blitz. If it's against the 3-4 with the OLB blitzing, I'll usually get sacked or throw an incompletion because he'll hit me. If it's against the 4-3, I have enough time to pass. I usually lob it up to the WR near the sideline because it's one on one coverage and if I beat the defender, it's a huge gain and sometimes, a TD.

Quote:
Ah, yes, the defense. I always let it do what's it gonna do so I can audible or call hot routes. I do occasionally quick snap the ball, but it's only on run plays when the defense is right where I want them.
I never use hot routes either. I'll audible sometimes though. Usually, if im going to pass and the CPU blitzes, I'll audible to a weak/strong dive run up the middle. If the OL blocks like they should, I can usually get a huge gain. I do sometimes put players in motion but only because that player will be in the way of the player I want to pass to.

I'll be starting my 2K5 (2004) roster in a week or two and im actually looking forward to playing with the Chiefs just because of their OL and dual RB's of Holmes and L.J. My early ratings will be Holmes at 95, L.J. at 80, C Weigmann at 90, OG Shields at 98, OG Waters at 90, OT Roaf at 98 and OT Welbourn at 80. Bober will be my top backup on the OL at 80-85 and he'll be at OG. If I suffer a serious injury though at C or OT, he'll be moved during the season. Hell, I did some messing around with the Chiefs starting offense and had Green at 90, Richardson at 90, Kennison at 85, Morton at 77, Gonzalez at 95 plus the offense that I listed above. Overall, the Chiefs offense was 98 and tied with Indy. Man, I cant wait.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by airkix72
I've noticed this phenomenon too. I'll be in a passing animation and my quarterback will be almost done with the animation and if I'm getting sacked I'll hold on to the ball, BUT if the CPU is in the passing animation and I start a sack they will release it every time, not getting sacked.
I think it's just one of the advantages the CPU gets, cause all CPUs cheat in some way shape or form to keep up with the player.

my 2 cents
Well, I'll add to your 2 cents and make it 4. I feel it's true as well that the CPU does get to cheat. It could never keep up with you otherwise. The CPU can always complete passes you'll never get to. But oh well, at least 2k5 doesn't cheat to the level of Madden. Ugh. If I only had a nickel for every time an LB stood flat footed and then flew 10 (scale) feet through the air sideways like Superman to knock down one of my passes. Or what about how you cannot complete a vertical pass in Madden? It never mattered if you had Randy Moss VS a scrub DB with an 80 in speed, Moss couldn't lose him and the DB would jump straight up into the air and knock the pass down w/o even looking at it.

Alright... I think we just reached a nickel.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #14
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Okay, nevermind. I "turn off" VIP as I dont want to have anything to do with the Crap...er, I mean, the Crib.
I keep it on I like how it tracks my stats and my offensive, defensive tendencies.

Quote:
On Xbox, it's the white/clear button. Even if you tap it once, the QB will still sometimes do a pump fake instead of lobbing the ball. I hate that. I would never make the main passing buttons used for pump faking. It's annoying. I never pump fake. If my QB pumps fake, it's what I didnt want to do.
White button. Okay, gotta practice that.

I feel you pain on the pump fakes. I never pump fake either. It SEEMS to help. But I dunno. In real life not that many QB's use it and they don't do it consistently. Why pump fake when you just make sure not to stare down your intended receiver? Heck, you can even get away with that most of the time.

The most annoying main button feature I ever saw was AP2k8's use of the directional pad for throwing laterals. Getting used to that was like trying to give up caffeine for me.

Quote:
I think sometimes you'll get sacked just because the CPU wants you to get sacked.
Especially when your G just side-steps the DT and you get nailed as you're drop stepping.

Quote:
I never use hot routes either. I'll audible sometimes though. Usually, if im going to pass and the CPU blitzes, I'll audible to a weak/strong dive run up the middle. If the OL blocks like they should, I can usually get a huge gain. I do sometimes put players in motion but only because that player will be in the way of the player I want to pass to.
I think I must use a hot route on every single play and motion about 1/2 the time. Most of the time, I'm hot routing a receiver out of a route that takes too long to set up. The Chiefs playbook has quite a few routes in there that have more than one cut. I just get sacked every time I try and wait for the route to develop. It needs to be one cut and go to be effective, there isn't time for anything else and defenders really don't get fooled by it.

Quote:
I'll be starting my 2K5 (2004) roster in a week or two and im actually looking forward to playing with the Chiefs just because of their OL and dual RB's of Holmes and L.J. My early ratings will be Holmes at 95, L.J. at 80, C Weigmann at 90, OG Shields at 98, OG Waters at 90, OT Roaf at 98 and OT Welbourn at 80. Bober will be my top backup on the OL at 80-85 and he'll be at OG. If I suffer a serious injury though at C or OT, he'll be moved during the season. Hell, I did some messing around with the Chiefs starting offense and had Green at 90, Richardson at 90, Kennison at 85, Morton at 77, Gonzalez at 95 plus the offense that I listed above. Overall, the Chiefs offense was 98 and tied with Indy. Man, I cant wait.
Ah yes, I remember those days... *sighs*
Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
I keep it on I like how it tracks my stats and my offensive, defensive tendencies.
The huge stat database and breaking records is great. It's all the other crap that I hate. Personally, I never would have put that in 2K4 or 2K5. Instead, I would have just made a huge stat database and an awards / records database. I remember in Tecmo Super Bowl III, when you would lead in QB rating or TD's, etc., you would get a "gold, silver or bronze" award attached to that player and if you play all three seasons, you can have a bunch of them with one player. That was cool. One thing that I would have loved to see is a game by game stat database for each season. For example, say, you're in week 15 and playing a division rival. Being able to go to your team's schedule and being able to press the "R" button to see all the stats that you see after playing the game would be helpful because if you rushed for 200 yards, you could go in with the same strategy for the rematch. That's something I wish was in games during franchise. Oh well.

Quote:
I feel you pain on the pump fakes. I never pump fake either. It SEEMS to help. But I dunno. In real life not that many QB's use it and they don't do it consistently. Why pump fake when you just make sure not to stare down your intended receiver? Heck, you can even get away with that most of the time.
I never use pump fakes, even in 2K3, I never used it. I'm just not into it. If anything, I think it delays your QB from actually passing the ball to the receiver you want. I see QB's in reality do it but it's more because the QB decided that he doesnt want to pass there as opposed to just faking out the defense.

Quote:
The most annoying main button feature I ever saw was AP2k8's use of the directional pad for throwing laterals. Getting used to that was like trying to give up caffeine for me.
I dont have 360 and probably never will but my friend bought 2K8 and sold it on ebay a week later. He said the gameplay was good but without the NFL license and franchise, he couldnt get into it. I feel the same way. I need the NFL license and the ability to add-on (like we do in 2K5) for me to play an NFL video game. And by the way, can you lateral in 2K5 and if so, does it work well or does it usually just turn into a fumble recovery for the defense?

Quote:
Especially when your G just side-steps the DT and you get nailed as you're drop stepping.

I think I must use a hot route on every single play and motion about 1/2 the time. Most of the time, I'm hot routing a receiver out of a route that takes too long to set up. The Chiefs playbook has quite a few routes in there that have more than one cut. I just get sacked every time I try and wait for the route to develop. It needs to be one cut and go to be effective, there isn't time for anything else and defenders really don't get fooled by it.
UGH. Crappy OG. I hate that but I hate it when the C never blocks the LB on running plays much more. I dont even have hot routes on. I do damn good offensively without giving me extra advantages. The problem with KC isnt the cuts, it's that Green is slow. If I had a McNabb or Culpepper, I wouldnt have any problem with all the cuts. Oh well. I'll mainly be running with Holmes and L.J. anyway.

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember those days... *sighs*
I take it that you're a Chiefs fan?

Last edited by dan77733; 03-14-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
The huge stat database and breaking records is great. It's all the other crap that I hate. Personally, I never would have put that in 2K4 or 2K5. Instead, I would have just made a huge stat database and an awards / records database. I remember in Tecmo Super Bowl III, when you would lead in QB rating or TD's, etc., you would get a "gold, silver or bronze" award attached to that player and if you play all three seasons, you can have a bunch of them with one player. That was cool. One thing that I would have loved to see is a game by game stat database for each season. For example, say, you're in week 15 and playing a division rival. Being able to go to your team's schedule and being able to press the "R" button to see all the stats that you see after playing the game would be helpful because if you rushed for 200 yards, you could go in with the same strategy for the rematch. That's something I wish was in games during franchise. Oh well.
That's the one thing I'll give Madden credit for in the Franchise. You could hit one button and see everyone's stats for that game. It's too bad that it didn't keep it after the following game. And sitting through Sports Center EVERY time is kinda "blah". I always wished there was a career stats sections for when you play a franchise over a # of years. Something that compounded your player's career stats in All-Time lists. Maybe your QB can wind up in the top 10 or so of the all-time stats leaders? Maybe get elected into the Hall of Fame? That would just be cool to me.

Quote:
I never use pump fakes, even in 2K3, I never used it. I'm just not into it. If anything, I think it delays your QB from actually passing the ball to the receiver you want. I see QB's in reality do it but it's more because the QB decided that he doesnt want to pass there as opposed to just faking out the defense.
True.

Quote:
I dont have 360 and probably never will but my friend bought 2K8 and sold it on ebay a week later. He said the gameplay was good but without the NFL license and franchise, he couldnt get into it. I feel the same way. I need the NFL license and the ability to add-on (like we do in 2K5) for me to play an NFL video game. And by the way, can you lateral in 2K5 and if so, does it work well or does it usually just turn into a fumble recovery for the defense?
Hmmm... I was just in the Tutorial mode last night and I don't remember anything about that. I guess I'm the wrong guy to ask here, but if I were to prognosticate, I'd say that you'd just wind up with a fumble to the other team.

Quote:
UGH. Crappy OG. I hate that but I hate it when the C never blocks the LB on running plays much more.
You mean how the center does that EVERY SINGLE TIME? Or, at least, what seems like it?

Quote:
I dont even have hot routes on. I do damn good offensively without giving me extra advantages. The problem with KC isnt the cuts, it's that Green is slow. If I had a McNabb or Culpepper, I wouldnt have any problem with all the cuts. Oh well. I'll mainly be running with Holmes and L.J. anyway.
I do hot routes cuz I'm a control freak, really. I just try to limit myself to one per, depending on the defense. Which is the other reason I use them, to take advantage of the coverage. Especially deep zone or one on one.

Wait... I think we have some wires crossed... I meant, and should have specified more clearly, that the receivers routes should not have more than one cut. But wait, are you talking about just scrambling with the QB to keep the play alive long enough to make the pass after the route has fully developed? I'm sure that works, but, if that is what you mean, and not that I don't do it, it seems counter-intuitive to the passing engine doesn't it? It's supposed to be based on dropping back and passing from the pocket, right?

Quote:
I take it that you're a Chiefs fan?
How'd you guess?

I grew up in Raytown, MO which is "in the shadow" of the Truman Sports complex.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »