Home

Offensive Linemen

This is a discussion on Offensive Linemen within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Offensive Linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
That's the one thing I'll give Madden credit for in the Franchise. You could hit one button and see everyone's stats for that game. It's too bad that it didn't keep it after the following game. And sitting through Sports Center EVERY time is kinda "blah". I always wished there was a career stats sections for when you play a franchise over a # of years. Something that compounded your player's career stats in All-Time lists. Maybe your QB can wind up in the top 10 or so of the all-time stats leaders? Maybe get elected into the Hall of Fame? That would just be cool to me.
Madden has great stuff off the field but the gameplay is pure crap. I loved mini-camp and all the franchise options and some stuff that was in owner mode was good but I could never ever play more than a half of a game before getting disgusted and turning it off. And even if I didnt have 2K5, I would just play 2K3 on PS2. Either way, I can avoid Crapadden. All the stuff you mentioned about stats would be great. If VC would have eliminated the Crib and just put in a huge stat database and an awards/trophies database, that would have been perfect.

Quote:
You mean how the center does that EVERY SINGLE TIME? Or, at least, what seems like it?
Yes, I hate that. You know how there's that defensive matchup option in-game? There should be an OL matchup where you could assign your LT, LG, C, RG and RT to the DL. That way, your C would be free and automatically engage the LB in a block. Also, if the defense had say a DT rated 95 who kept beating the OG, you coul double team him. I know that the OL will double team but to be able to actually set it up would have been awesome.

Quote:
But wait, are you talking about just scrambling with the QB to keep the play alive long enough to make the pass after the route has fully developed? I'm sure that works, but, if that is what you mean, and not that I don't do it, it seems counter-intuitive to the passing engine doesn't it? It's supposed to be based on dropping back and passing from the pocket, right?
I tend to roll out to avoid the sack and the pressure in the pocket. I'm definitely pass happy and having a QB who can scramble is huge because it gives you extra time to find an open receiver. I dont know if it's counter-intuitive to the passing engine or whatnot. I just want to keep the play alive and complete a pass. I'll stand in the pocket if im waiting for a WR to do a slant to the sideline but if he gets bumped or if im getting pressured, then I will scramble in order to still make a play. I dont like running with my QB though. I rather pass but if there's no one open, I'll take off. I always try to run down the sideline if I run with my QB so I can go out of bounds before getting hit as I dont want to take the chance my QB gets injured.

I will scramble and run with McNabb, Culpepper, etc. if I need to convert a 3rd or 4th down and im losing or it's a close game because for some reason, whenever I need a huge conversion, my receivers tend to drop the ball, get hit and drop the ball or the ball will bounce of their head, arms, side, legs, chest, etc. and fall incomplete. In other words, I have more confidence in converting by doing a roll out and taking off then I do passing.

I will stand in the pocket if im playing with a QB who has no mobility though. I love playing with the Colts but Manning is as slow as **** and isnt going anywhere. With a QB like Manning, you have to be a pocket passer but with his attributes, that doesnt bother me at all. I love passing with Manning to Harrison, Wayne, Clark, etc. It's almost like the superior version of the "greatest show on turf". LOL.

Chiefs are crappy but so are my 49ers. Lucky for me though, my second favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys because of one player. Being a 49ers fan, can you guess what player?

Chiefs do have some good players though. L.J. is awesome and one of my favorites overall. Their receiver who they drafted last year (Bowe if I remember correctly) looks to be a franchise type receiver. Defensively, Allen and Johnson are great at DE and OLB respectively. Pollard at SS is also good. The OL needs to be rebuilt though. Roaf retired two years ago and Shields retired last year. Wiegmann was released I think and so was Welbourn. The only guy left is LG Brian Waters who's an excellent guard. If im KC, I try to draft OT Jake Long to play LT and put Bober at C or RG and go from there. QB wise, they need to just stick with Croyle for a full season if he's healthy and see if he's the answer. Huard isnt the long term answer so wasting time by having Croyle sit on the bench is horrible. Especially, since the OL is being rebuilt, having a franchise QB who'll be around for the long term is important so the chemistry can be built upon them and the QB.

Oh well, at least you're not a fan of a team who's paying their QB over $33m over the next three years.

*is a pissed off 49ers fan*
Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #18
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Madden has great stuff off the field but the gameplay is pure crap. I loved mini-camp and all the franchise options and some stuff that was in owner mode was good but I could never ever play more than a half of a game before getting disgusted and turning it off. And even if I didnt have 2K5, I would just play 2K3 on PS2. Either way, I can avoid Crapadden. All the stuff you mentioned about stats would be great. If VC would have eliminated the Crib and just put in a huge stat database and an awards/trophies database, that would have been perfect.
Madden game play = poop. You can calculate that like it's Pi. Most of the Madden Franchises I did were purely simulated. I never played the games in franchise. I just drafted and signed free agents and tried to simulate my way to a SuperBowl.

What was the point of the crib anyway? Getting harrassing phone calls from Jamie Kennedy? I'm still looking for the option that will let me get a 2k5 restraining order against him. On the upside of the crib though, the NFL trivia game and the air hockey are nice diversions.

Quote:
Yes, I hate that. You know how there's that defensive matchup option in-game? There should be an OL matchup where you could assign your LT, LG, C, RG and RT to the DL. That way, your C would be free and automatically engage the LB in a block. Also, if the defense had say a DT rated 95 who kept beating the OG, you coul double team him. I know that the OL will double team but to be able to actually set it up would have been awesome.
In real life the center and the QB call blocking assignments. Why shouldn't you be able to do it in-game?

Quote:
I dont like running with my QB though. I rather pass but if there's no one open, I'll take off. I always try to run down the sideline if I run with my QB so I can go out of bounds before getting hit as I dont want to take the chance my QB gets injured.
Yeah, I only run if they have everybody downfield covered. Then you can pick up 10 yds with even Trent Green. I go to the sideline when I can, otherwise I use the slide button. Which, BTW, has to be used early cuz they will tackle you in the middle of a slide.

Quote:
I will scramble and run with McNabb, Culpepper, etc. if I need to convert a 3rd or 4th down and im losing or it's a close game because for some reason, whenever I need a huge conversion, my receivers tend to drop the ball, get hit and drop the ball or the ball will bounce of their head, arms, side, legs, chest, etc. and fall incomplete. In other words, I have more confidence in converting by doing a roll out and taking off then I do passing.
Oh yeah, dropping the big 3rd down, I know all about that. that's why I always put Gonzales in motion to get him open or one-on-one. Some guys love to drop the the ball when it counts.

Quote:
Chiefs are crappy but so are my 49ers. Lucky for me though, my second favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys because of one player. Being a 49ers fan, can you guess what player?
Um... Steve Mariucci?

Quote:
Chiefs do have some good players though. L.J. is awesome and one of my favorites overall. Their receiver who they drafted last year (Bowe if I remember correctly) looks to be a franchise type receiver. Defensively, Allen and Johnson are great at DE and OLB respectively. Pollard at SS is also good. The OL needs to be rebuilt though. Roaf retired two years ago and Shields retired last year. Wiegmann was released I think and so was Welbourn. The only guy left is LG Brian Waters who's an excellent guard. If im KC, I try to draft OT Jake Long to play LT and put Bober at C or RG and go from there. QB wise, they need to just stick with Croyle for a full season if he's healthy and see if he's the answer. Huard isnt the long term answer so wasting time by having Croyle sit on the bench is horrible. Especially, since the OL is being rebuilt, having a franchise QB who'll be around for the long term is important so the chemistry can be built upon them and the QB.
Yeah, the good thing about Croyle is that he is a good QB and a leader of men. The bad thing about him is he needs to come with a sticker like the Leg Lamp from A Christmas Story: "Fra-gee-lay".

Dwane Bowe from LSU. Yeah, he was definitely a bright spot last year. Hopefully he becomes the first legitimate #1 receiver the Chiefs have probably ever had.

And an improved o-line would be wonderful. Especially for those of us playing the video game version of the team.

Quote:
Oh well, at least you're not a fan of a team who's paying their QB over $33m over the next three years.

*is a pissed off 49ers fan*
Oh, I get to hear all about it from my roommate. Just wait and see if Aaron Rodgers pans out for the Packers. That'll really rile up my roomie since he and Aaron went to the same high school. I think Rodgers has a lot of potential as a pro. He proved himself to be a big game QB in college.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I only run if they have everybody downfield covered. Then you can pick up 10 yds with even Trent Green. I go to the sideline when I can, otherwise I use the slide button. Which, BTW, has to be used early cuz they will tackle you in the middle of a slide.
I could sometimes get a decent gain with Manning but it's rare. I try not to score rushing TD's with my QB though. I mainly just run when I need to convert a 3rd or 4th down or like you said, when all the receivers are covered. I played a game the other day and ran for like 88 yards or so with Romo but also passed for almost 500 yards and 5 TD's with 2 INT's. Of course, this was my fantasy Cowboys team where I had Owens and Moss.

Quote:
Oh yeah, dropping the big 3rd down, I know all about that. that's why I always put Gonzales in motion to get him open or one-on-one. Some guys love to drop the the ball when it counts.
I hate that with a passion. I start yelling, screaming and cursing. It's sad and funny all at the same time. LOL.

Quote:
Yeah, the good thing about Croyle is that he is a good QB and a leader of men. The bad thing about him is he needs to come with a sticker like the Leg Lamp from A Christmas Story: "Fra-gee-lay".

Dwane Bowe from LSU. Yeah, he was definitely a bright spot last year. Hopefully he becomes the first legitimate #1 receiver the Chiefs have probably ever had.

And an improved o-line would be wonderful. Especially for those of us playing the video game version of the team.
Look on the bright side, at least you're head coach is Herm Edwards who you can put as the HC on your team with his player model and photo. Sure, it sucks that whenever you cahllenge a play, the commentators will say Dick Vermeil but oh well, better than nothing. As for the OL, it may be from 2004 but when I finish my 2K5 roster, the Chiefs will probably have the best OL in the game.

Quote:
Oh, I get to hear all about it from my roommate. Just wait and see if Aaron Rodgers pans out for the Packers. That'll really rile up my roomie since he and Aaron went to the same high school. I think Rodgers has a lot of potential as a pro. He proved himself to be a big game QB in college.
Unlike Smith, if Rodgers fails in GB, his contract is cheap. My team basically screwed themselves by picking up the option on Smith for 2009 and 2010. And for the record, going back to 2005, I didnt want Smith or Rodgers. I was hoping for WR Braylon Edwards.

And the player that I was referring to in DAL is on the cover of 2K5. T.O. Baby!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
I could sometimes get a decent gain with Manning but it's rare. I try not to score rushing TD's with my QB though. I mainly just run when I need to convert a 3rd or 4th down or like you said, when all the receivers are covered. I played a game the other day and ran for like 88 yards or so with Romo but also passed for almost 500 yards and 5 TD's with 2 INT's. Of course, this was my fantasy Cowboys team where I had Owens and Moss.
I like to do fantasy rosters too. Sometimes I screw around with different defensive strengths. Like an average secondary and a really badass pass rushing front 4. Or just do the opposite. One thing I've learned is that you can't undervalue a true shut down corner. CPU QB's won't even throw in his direction unless he's pressured to do so. You really do feel how a Champ Bailey can "shut down half the field".

My fave fantasy rosters though are the ones I make where I'm the starting QB of the Chiefs. Call me an egomaniac, I won't tell you you're wrong. I love those rosters, it takes the game from just being competitive to something quasi-personal. There's more at stake when that's "you" behind center. I wear #3 even if it's retired by the Chiefs. It's fantasy right? oh, and in my defense, my overall ratings aren't 99 in every attribute.

Quote:
I hate that with a passion. I start yelling, screaming and cursing. It's sad and funny all at the same time. LOL.
I know all about the hissy/conniption fits. I tell you what, despite the fact the wireless xbox controllers resemble boomerangs, they do NOT come back to you when you hurl them across the room.

Quote:
Look on the bright side, at least you're head coach is Herm Edwards who you can put as the HC on your team with his player model and photo. Sure, it sucks that whenever you cahllenge a play, the commentators will say Dick Vermeil but oh well, better than nothing. As for the OL, it may be from 2004 but when I finish my 2K5 roster, the Chiefs will probably have the best OL in the game.
Eh, I like to pretend that ol' weepy Dick is still my coach and Al Saunders is the OC.

Quote:
Unlike Smith, if Rodgers fails in GB, his contract is cheap. My team basically screwed themselves by picking up the option on Smith for 2009 and 2010. And for the record, going back to 2005, I didnt want Smith or Rodgers. I was hoping for WR Braylon Edwards.
Yeah, Edwards finally started to pan out. I had my doubts since he came from Michigan. They've really only ever produced QB's, OL's and the occasional DB. Edwards looks like he could be good, even if he is a knucklehead. I dunno, he seems like he could just wind up being huge pain in the *** for the Browns like so many other marquee WR's. A total distraction to the team. If I'm a GM, I'll take any of Indy's starting receivers, or Holt, Ward, Houshmandzadeh, etc. Just high effort team guys.

Oh, and here's a prediction for the draft: McFadden is the next Reggie Bush. He can't run up the middle. He doesn't run through anyone. Watch his footage in college, he ran around and away from everyone like Bush did. McFadden is basically ineffective between the tackles. I noticed it in the bowl game VS Mizzou. I thought, "Well, maybe he doesn't wanna get injured before the draft." But then I watched some draft gurus break down tape of him and, yes, he's not good between the tackles and he's not physical. McFadden will have a tough time getting more than 3.5 yards a carry. Even with all the athleticism. Cuz what really matters in the NFL is discipline and skill. And that takes work that it seems a lot of top-flight athletes don't wanna make the effort for. They think they can just out-athlete everyone instead of out-executing them through consistency.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

I started to wonder about D-Mac as well. He is bigger than Bush and I think he's going to have a chip on his shoulder aka A.Peterson, that is unless he goes to Oakland were no one pans out. Can't wait to see the draft, seems like it takes longer to get here than Christmas did when I was 8
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsou4646
I started to wonder about D-Mac as well. He is bigger than Bush and I think he's going to have a chip on his shoulder aka A.Peterson, that is unless he goes to Oakland were no one pans out. Can't wait to see the draft, seems like it takes longer to get here than Christmas did when I was 8
Oh yeah, the Draft does take FOREVER to get here, doesn't it? It's the only thing to look forward to after the SB. Especially since the ProBowl only kinda-sorta counts. Know what I mean? The draft is about the only reason I'd get up that early on a Saturday and Sunday. At least this year I have DVR so I can FFWD through all the commercials and downtime between picks. I mean, why wait all 15 minutes to see the Chiefs pick someone that I say "who?" about. Actually, the Chiefs are really good at drafting in the first round. Gonzales, Tait, both Johnson's. The rest of the draft is kinda, "eh". They have better luck in the 7th round (J. Page) and through undrafted free agents (J. Allen). Hopefully, this isn't a Sylvester Morris year. Also, I'd like to say that the draft doesn't take as long to arrive as the next football season does! Quite literally too. Especially since football is all I watch!

Hopefully McFadden does pan out. I had fun watching him for 3 years. It's not I dislike him. Although, when it comes down to it, Mendenhall has better pro-skills.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
Banned

^^^^^

If you're talking about DE Jared Allen, he was a 4th round draft pick in 2004. I have each team listed in a year by year wordpad document that includes their draft from that year. Allen was the only bright spot from your 2004 Draft Class.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
^^^^^

If you're talking about DE Jared Allen, he was a 4th round draft pick in 2004. I have each team listed in a year by year wordpad document that includes their draft from that year. Allen was the only bright spot from your 2004 Draft Class.
Dang. And here I was thinking I knew something... I don't know why I keep thinking he was undrafted. I know Brian Waters was!

Oh here, dig this website for anything you'd wanna know football-wise:

Pro-Football-Reference.com - Professional Football Statistics and History

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »