Home

Thoughts on Playbooks.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Playbooks. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4
Thoughts on Playbooks.

Got a quick couple questions for everyone.

1. What's your favorite team playbook? And why?

2. What's your un-favorite team playbook? And why?

My fave is, duh, the Chiefs. Mostly because I'm the most familiar with it, but at the same time, every time I run someone else's playbook, it doesn't make as much sense to me. I can't find the logic. I feel like the Chiefs playbook just attacks the defense with more intelligence. Like the plays are better thought out. The routes compliment each other. It attacks different levels of the defense simultaneously with different receivers giving me more options. It creates holes in the defense that I can exploit if my timing is right.

My least fave is by far the Seahawks. I played that book in scrimmage mode and all I kept thinking was "How am I supposed to move the ball downfield with this?" It seemed like the most basic zone coverage eliminated all my options. It was frustrating. And the way the receiver's routes were put together didn't make sense. I couldn't find the logic. They weren't complimentary to each other. Which, to me, is the beauty of a great play. I'm curious as to how close it is to the reality of Holmgren's playbook?

I've also experimented with the Titans, 49ers and Lions. The Titans were okay. And I like the 49ers and Lions more though. I guess I'm just a West Coast offense kinda guy...

Feel free to chime in even if you, like me, haven't tried all 32 team playbooks. I'm just trying to expand my horizons in a lazy kinda way Thanks!

Last edited by aff4life; 03-20-2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: typos
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Thoughts on Playbooks.

I usually play with the 49ers and they have my favorite playbook.
I'm certain that my favoritism is based mostly on familiarity.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 15

Top Ten Favorites -

1) Eagles

The best all around playbook in my opinion. Inside and outside slants, PA passes short and deep, roll outs, good plays that use the TE in the middle of the field and good running plays inside and outside. Defensively, every team is basically the same but I love blitzing with Philly just like in reality. Sure, I'll get burned here and there but oh well. Rolling out with McNabb is also a plus because if the receivers are covered, you're already near the sideline and can take off to gain yardage and then go out of bounds so you dont take a hit. With the Eagles playbook, I can win with even the worst offensive team. Like I have said since the days of 2K3, it's all about the playbook.

2) Colts

What can I say??? Manning, Harrison and Wayne plus Clark = the real "greatest show on turf". Awesome passing playbook. I wish that there were more "dive" running plays up the middle but the passing makes up for it. Seriously, it's like a passing jauggernaut.

3) Bengals

I love the Bengals playbook. Of course, having Palmer, R.J., C.J. and T.J. doesnt hurt. Great passing attack with good running plays as well. I can put up over 300 yards almost every time no matter what CPU team im playing against.

4) Dolphins

Was better with their playbook in 2K3 but im still pretty good with it. Has a good variety of running and passing plays including the shotgun formation. If I had to list one complaint, it's that when "subbing" a WR on the play-calling screen, it's impossible to put Chambers on the inside left slot. That kills me sometimes. Oh well.

5) 49ers

Was the best playbook for me in 2K3 but not anymore. Still a good playbook but they dont have the offensive talent to take advantage of it like in 2K3 with Owens, etc. Still good overall but no longer the best in my opinion.

6) Texans

Used the Texans playbook for when the Cowboys ran the 3-4 in the Parcells era. Good playbook and easily blows away the Chargers playbook. I dont know how anyone can win with that crappy playbook.

7) Ravens

Ravens have a solid all-around playbook. Use their playbook with the 49ers when they run the 3-4. Takes advantage of the TE which is good for both BAL and SF since their respective TE is also their best receiver. Defensively, would have preferred 2 man instead of 2 man bump but it's good enough.

8) Cardinals

Underrated playbook. Good passing wise especially when you have Fitz and Boldin. Good running plays as well. Solid overall and better than the Steelers playbook.

9) Lions

Good passing attack in a dome with good running plays. Underrated. Makes a bad team look better than what it is.

10) Chiefs

Good running playbook especially if you have both Holmes and Johnson (2004) but not as good passing wise. Green cant move worth a damn and while the WR core isnt bad, it's not great either. I had some some decent 200 yard games passing but I will probably never surpass 300 yards passing. If you love to run, this could be the playbook for you especially if you're playing against 3-4 teams.

Those are my top ten playbooks. Throw in the Browns as an honorable mention.

The remaining playbooks either dont have "weak/strong dive" running plays up the middle, horrible passing plays, no "first down" passing plays, no 2 man or 2 man bump defense or plays mostly zone defense which I hate with a passion in-game and in reality. Seahawks has a good to great team but a crappy playbook. Give me the Eagles or Colts playbook and watch the yards and points go soar.

Basically, if it's not in my top ten, I cant play with that playbook and since I like to use each team's respective playbook (except for when having to switch it due to the defense being switched from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa) with that respective team, I dont play with them. Jaguars, Seahawks, Steelers, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Saints and Panthers all have good to great teams but their playbooks are pure crap.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

I was told that if you go into these teams playbooks and take out the 90 passing plays or (the three step drop passes) it will cut down on the interceptions that plaugue this game.

But I have not figured out how to do that.

I can edit say BOOK 1 or BOOK 2...but to get to say the Bears playbook or the Seattle playbook abd edit it....????
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD_AL
I usually play with the 49ers and they have my favorite playbook.
I'm certain that my favoritism is based mostly on familiarity.
Favoritism. Tell me about it. ha.

I do like how Erickson's PB spreads the field. I used to get lots of long bombs to Lelie out of the slot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancorey
I was told that if you go into these teams playbooks and take out the 90 passing plays or (the three step drop passes) it will cut down on the interceptions that plaugue this game.

But I have not figured out how to do that.

I can edit say BOOK 1 or BOOK 2...but to get to say the Bears playbook or the Seattle playbook abd edit it....????
Has anyone around here seriously tried the PB editor? I've only ever started to mess around with it and then gotten bored.

But "interceptions plaguing the game"? I dunno about that. I rarely chuck more than 1 if I chuck any at all. Just be more judicious in your reads. I chucked 3 of 'em the other night, but that's cuz I was bored and not really trying.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Top Ten Favorites -

1) Eagles

The best all around playbook in my opinion. Inside and outside slants, PA passes short and deep, roll outs, good plays that use the TE in the middle of the field and good running plays inside and outside. Defensively, every team is basically the same but I love blitzing with Philly just like in reality. Sure, I'll get burned here and there but oh well. Rolling out with McNabb is also a plus because if the receivers are covered, you're already near the sideline and can take off to gain yardage and then go out of bounds so you dont take a hit. With the Eagles playbook, I can win with even the worst offensive team. Like I have said since the days of 2K3, it's all about the playbook.

2) Colts

What can I say??? Manning, Harrison and Wayne plus Clark = the real "greatest show on turf". Awesome passing playbook. I wish that there were more "dive" running plays up the middle but the passing makes up for it. Seriously, it's like a passing jauggernaut.

3) Bengals

I love the Bengals playbook. Of course, having Palmer, R.J., C.J. and T.J. doesnt hurt. Great passing attack with good running plays as well. I can put up over 300 yards almost every time no matter what CPU team im playing against.

4) Dolphins

Was better with their playbook in 2K3 but im still pretty good with it. Has a good variety of running and passing plays including the shotgun formation. If I had to list one complaint, it's that when "subbing" a WR on the play-calling screen, it's impossible to put Chambers on the inside left slot. That kills me sometimes. Oh well.

5) 49ers

Was the best playbook for me in 2K3 but not anymore. Still a good playbook but they dont have the offensive talent to take advantage of it like in 2K3 with Owens, etc. Still good overall but no longer the best in my opinion.

6) Texans

Used the Texans playbook for when the Cowboys ran the 3-4 in the Parcells era. Good playbook and easily blows away the Chargers playbook. I dont know how anyone can win with that crappy playbook.

7) Ravens

Ravens have a solid all-around playbook. Use their playbook with the 49ers when they run the 3-4. Takes advantage of the TE which is good for both BAL and SF since their respective TE is also their best receiver. Defensively, would have preferred 2 man instead of 2 man bump but it's good enough.

8) Cardinals

Underrated playbook. Good passing wise especially when you have Fitz and Boldin. Good running plays as well. Solid overall and better than the Steelers playbook.

9) Lions

Good passing attack in a dome with good running plays. Underrated. Makes a bad team look better than what it is.

10) Chiefs

Good running playbook especially if you have both Holmes and Johnson (2004) but not as good passing wise. Green cant move worth a damn and while the WR core isnt bad, it's not great either. I had some some decent 200 yard games passing but I will probably never surpass 300 yards passing. If you love to run, this could be the playbook for you especially if you're playing against 3-4 teams.

Those are my top ten playbooks. Throw in the Browns as an honorable mention.

The remaining playbooks either dont have "weak/strong dive" running plays up the middle, horrible passing plays, no "first down" passing plays, no 2 man or 2 man bump defense or plays mostly zone defense which I hate with a passion in-game and in reality. Seahawks has a good to great team but a crappy playbook. Give me the Eagles or Colts playbook and watch the yards and points go soar.

Basically, if it's not in my top ten, I cant play with that playbook and since I like to use each team's respective playbook (except for when having to switch it due to the defense being switched from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa) with that respective team, I dont play with them. Jaguars, Seahawks, Steelers, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Saints and Panthers all have good to great teams but their playbooks are pure crap.
haha! This was the replay I was waiting for.I knew that you'd have played most of these playbooks...

I'll have to give the top 3 a whack. The Eagle's sounds intriguing. And go figure, most all of your faves are the playbooks of former Bill Walsh disciples. The one anomaly amongst them being Seattle's. I mean, WTF? Was Mike Holmgren NOT paying attention? You said what I was thinking about Seattle's PB, "no 1st down passing plays." Seriously what are supposed to do on 3rd and long? Hope for a s-load of YAC? I've always been the armchair QB when comes to Mike Holmgren. He seems to be a huge control freak and prone to "wtf is he thinking?" decisions in big games.

I found that Saints PB was kinda hit or miss, the running plays aren't set up for Reggie Bush, that's for sure, and the passing plays were either too aggressive or to conservative. No balance.

As far as the Chiefs go, I do love to run the ball. I run it close to 50/50 with passing. I do average about 250 a game passing. I guess if you're familiar enough with the playbook, you learn to take advantage of the coverage more. But like you said you don't do hot routes, which is what I kill the game with. You gotta dink and dunk a little and then hit 'em downfield when the safeties start to cheat up.

BTW: does it ever feel like the opposing team's defense is in the huddle with you? Like they know when your running and passing? I like to joke to myself that they've got Matt Walsh taping my signals.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

how do you guys feel about the "west coast" and "general" playbooks?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »