Home

Tales of Success - How to get a Data Migration Kit the Easy Way

This is a discussion on Tales of Success - How to get a Data Migration Kit the Easy Way within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Tales of Success - How to get a Data Migration Kit the Easy Way

I hate to toot my own horn, but I am too excited to sit on this story...

So after 4+ weeks of toiling with M$ over acquiring a data migration transfer kit, trying to do it the "free way", I had just about given up all hope of ever getting updated rosters without shelling out $50. Twice I had a shipment canceled on me and basically their customer service is filled with idiots and/or liars.

Anyways, then it dawned upon me that Best Buy might have some of these cables in the customer service department or perhaps a story of not receiving one in my XBOX 360 Elite would inspire them to hand one over. I figured it merited further investigation.

Conclusion: XBOX 360 console boxes will never be openned or tampered with under any circumstances.

However, what I did was "purchase" a 120 GB HDD which comes with this same cable and then "return" it about 4 secs later after removing the cable and CD. The total cost was $5... a restocking fee. This partly worked because I told a story about buying a HDD and "my brother" losing the cable... blah, blah, blah... 15 minutes later I have my cable and will be rocking NFL 2k5 until I go blind with some updated rosters and custom tunes.

Anyways, feel free to try this process out for yourself. It is much quicker than waiting for M$ to mail one to you and for only $5 I would it say it's worth the price to get an endless such of updates for the best football sim of all time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Tales of Success - How to get a Data Migration Kit the Easy Way

Since when has "deception" become a "process"?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adandar
However, what I did was "purchase" a 120 GB HDD which comes with this same cable and then "return" it about 4 secs later after removing the cable and CD. The total cost was $5... a restocking fee. This partly worked because I told a story about buying a HDD and "my brother" losing the cable... blah, blah, blah... 15 minutes later I have my cable and will be rocking NFL 2k5 until I go blind with some updated rosters and custom tunes.
So...............you brought a 360, then returned it minutes later after taking the stuff out??
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Rookie

First of all, this "deception" as it was put is can ultimately come down to this... M$ gives away this cable for free. I basically bought a 120 GB HDD, extracted the free cable, and returned the 120 GB HDD all under the supervision of Best Buy employees. Hardly the crime of the century and given the methods M$ uses to extract dollars from people (i.e. Forcing people to buy/play Madden if they want any pro football experience until last November when the backwards compatibility of 2k5 became a reality), I don't think anyone will miss their FREE cable or find that I've corrupted an innocent.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Wow...rationalization AND deception all in the same package. What a deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Rookie

Hey bro, not only will you get all of that...

But would you believe that M$ customer service twice told me they were sending the cable and canceled the shipment the second before it went out door.

It's hilarious because I told my story to the guys at Best Buy and they said, "Typical Microsoft... Those guys will say anything. Total a$$holes." Well, either way, like it or not, I'm about to get settled in here with some fun updated rosters and other gooey feature updates. Thanks all!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

So the Best Buy employees actually watched you take the cable out of the box and then return the hdd minus the cable that is supposed to be included in the sale of the hdd.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Rookie

Haha... Pretty much spot on... except they actually brought out a knife and cut the package open for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »