Home

How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09?

This is a discussion on How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie
Madden (EA Sports) The "butherface" of Video games...

Everything looks good but her face
Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Not following that. What does that mean?
lol i think he was responding to the thread title... which still might be confusing, until i realized he read it as a rhetorical question: like the subject heading was incredulously asking "how on earth does this hold up against madden"... rather than "seriously, tell me your opinion on how it holds up"

lol internitz
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

The real difference between Madden 09 and NFL 2k5 is basically in it's presentation. Madden 09 better simulates the look and feel of actual NFL football on the field. But NFL 2k5 better simulates everything else. From franchise options and depth, to all the bells and whistles of the ESPN brand. Being able to have half time shows, post game shows,great announcers,interviews with player of the game,super bowl celebrations, sports center between weeks...stuff like that isn't in Madden 09. What you get with Madden 09 is straight up NFL football, and little more.

So it really depends on how much you value presentation and how much you need that to have fun. Oh, and of course, playing 2k5 online has pretty much became impossible on a 360. I tried playing 3 games, and all were unplayable. So if you're a big online player, you should probably get the newer game, and just save up for the $40 and buy the cable down the road.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
The real difference between Madden 09 and NFL 2k5 is basically in it's presentation. Madden 09 better simulates the look and feel of actual NFL football on the field. But NFL 2k5 better simulates everything else. From franchise options and depth, to all the bells and whistles of the ESPN brand. Being able to have half time shows, post game shows,great announcers,interviews with player of the game,super bowl celebrations, sports center between weeks...stuff like that isn't in Madden 09. What you get with Madden 09 is straight up NFL football, and little more.

So it really depends on how much you value presentation and how much you need that to have fun. Oh, and of course, playing 2k5 online has pretty much became impossible on a 360. I tried playing 3 games, and all were unplayable. So if you're a big online player, you should probably get the newer game, and just save up for the $40 and buy the cable down the road.
thanks for the reply! I am not a big online player...Because of Online Dynasty, NCAA 09 has really been my first and only online experience on the 360.

I am pretty much a graphics junkie (I will go ahead and admit that)....I can be easily sold on a game by the way it looks....and I know Madden EASILY outshines ESPN in that regard. But, I am also big on presentation...I am a huge franchise player and ESPN really kept me interested in my franchise. I am still waiting for Madden to match this.

I think I will eventually go ahead and get Madden 09....especially since I have NCAA 09 already and can use the draft classes. I did some more editing to the rosters of ESPN last night while I was watching the game (on split screen) and I think these will do. I will just have to do without some of todays stars...

Last edited by K_rob11; 09-16-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
Rookie

ZRob72's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_rob11
Yeah...i called last night and called this morn...both didn't speak english too well....I will try one more time tonite

How the hell did u get it in 2 days? The lady did tell me that it would take 5-10 business days once i get that S/N to her....

MAN, I would LOVE to play this game with updated rosters! I was messin around with it last night just putting some of the main players who have switched teams since 4 years ago on to their current teams....and adjusting some ratings as well. I played a Eagles/Cowboys game last night (with the rosters adjusted the best I can without creating anyone) and I HAD A BLAST. I was thinking to myself..this game would be even better with Romo, Barber, DeSean Jackson, etc.... ....but i had to settle with Bledsoe, Julius Jones, and Freddie Mitchell .....but i still had fun....it would just be so much better with current rosters!
They told me the same thing 5-10 bus days but then it arrived via Priority Mail within 2 days....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

send me your HD,i`ll do it for ya...for a small fee
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I finally gave up on Madden yesterday. I tried to tell myself it was just a videogame, that it should be fun and not to be too critical but after a month of playing Madden it simply isn't a good football game.

I played one half of 2K5 just now, Chargers at Pats with updated rosters, and it's just mind boggling how much stuff is better than Madden. I honestly don't know if there's a single gameplay or presentation element that Madden 09 does better than 2K5. I would say throwing the deep ball (those nice, 60 yard, high-arching bombs are the only thing better in Madden).

It was so nice to be able to thread the needle again and not have a defender who's 5 yards away leap 15 feet from a stand still and knock the pass down. Running the ball, especially up the middle, is so much better in 2K5. So nice to be control, if I wanted to speed burst or build up my energy to barrel over a defender with my RB.

I guess I was a little tricked by Madden 09, it was the first Madden I had bought in four years and I wanted to try it out on my PS3. But it's still basically the same game since Madden 04/05. I really don't know if I'll ever buy Madden again.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

^I feel the exact same way, for those who have both drop back and throw the ball and then ask why a previous-gen game that four years old can get those animations right while Madden looks complety uninspired. The ball doesn't even spiral on short/medium passes. I really don't see how things like that get by QA testers.

/rant

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »