Home

How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09?

This is a discussion on How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: How does this 4 year old game hold up against Madden 09?

The only reason 2k5 is compared to 09 is because 2k fanboys can't let it go.

I'm not saying 2k5 is bad, it's a very good game. It's just not the gold standard you guys want to make it out to be. Hell, it's not even better than Madden 2005, in my opinion. Aside from presentation, there's not a single feature or gameplay element I'd have wanted incorporated into Madden 2005 from 2k5.

And again, 2k5 is a really, really good game. You guys are just horrible at overrating the whole experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecahl

I'm not saying 2k5 is bad, it's a very good game. It's just not the gold standard you guys want to make it out to be. Hell, it's not even better than Madden 2005, in my opinion. Aside from presentation, there's not a single feature or gameplay element I'd have wanted incorporated into Madden 2005 from 2k5.

And again, 2k5 is a really, really good game. You guys are just horrible at overrating the whole experience.
OL/DL Interaction
WR/DB Interaction
Gang Tackling
Proper Pocket/QB throwing

Are 4 things that K5 did better then Madden 05 by a large margin. In fact, 09 is still behind in all those areas.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #43
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
OL/DL Interaction
WR/DB Interaction
Gang Tackling
Proper Pocket/QB throwing

Are 4 things that K5 did better then Madden 05 by a large margin. In fact, 09 is still behind in all those areas.
To add on...

- Running between the tackles
- RB/OL interaction/No Mario running
- Pump faking

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #44
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecahl

I just popped in 2K5 and upon further review it blows the sh** out of Madden 09. It's either shameful or pitiful on EA's part and is sickening for consumers that the best playing football game (and it's not even close) is 4 years old and is best played on a standard definition TV with an Xbox.

I just played as the Eagles and I could put some serious heat on the QB with DE Jevon Kearse. He played like his real life counterpart. Playing as an elite pass rushing defensive end is ****POINTLESS**** in Madden 09. Did I stress enough that it's pointless?

Another game as the Vikings - Culpepper throws an INT and the cut scene shows him walking to the sidelines and firing his helmet at the bench. There's so much more atmosphere and presentation in a *** 4 year old last gen game *** than in Madden 09.

It pisses me off the more I think about it but I don't blame EA for being lazy and/or untalented I blame the NFL for basically bringing down football videogaming. There's no excuse that Hockey and Soccer ... err ... Futbol are winning sports game of the year awards while America's #1 sport is mired in mediocrity.

Last edited by speedkills; 09-26-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 24

Still amazes me how Madden 09 doesn't call players by name, but a 4 year old game does.Even with updated rosters. Even players who weren't in the league in 05 but are now. Etc.So what if some of the names aren't 100% correct-just the fact that it's there is amazing.

Madden: "The halfback runs up the middle for a couple"

2K5: "Barber runs up the middle and gains a couple."

Hmm....which says realism!?

Last edited by Segagendude; 09-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #46
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
I just played as the Eagles and I could put some serious heat on the QB with DE Jevon Kearse. He played like his real life counterpart. Playing as an elite pass rushing defensive end is ****POINTLESS**** in Madden 09. Did I stress enough that it's pointless?
This is a huge bonus too for 2K5, it's FUN to play defense. In Madden you're basically killing time between offensive drives, the user defense is brutal as is the pass rush.

Plus it is awesome in 3rd and long situations where you can spread out your D-Line and use an end and tap A to get that speed rush and get a sack - it's so damn satisfying.

Using Tuck and Osi in 2K5 is probably more fun than playing offense.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »