Home

Passing Questions

This is a discussion on Passing Questions within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Passing Questions

you guys are all forgetting the key to the screen...

MAXIMUM passing

you need to flick the left stick in or out (depending on the location of the pursuit) immediately following the ball's release to lead the running back up the seam or out to the sideline

maximum passing isnt just for the deep ball-- it's the key to absolutely shredding a defense. Safety coming down for the big hit on a crossing route? Lead the first time, throw behind the second time; variance on max passing will boost your comp % thru the roof
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

You know, only recently have I been considering trying out Maximum Passing. I'm finally getting the hang of passing to be a bit more consistent than I ever have been, completing 60% with Jamarcus Russel in my season.

Since this is a passing thread, might as well continue it along here. Any more tips for Maximum Passing, for different situations and just overall hints? I've never actually used it, so really any info would be useful.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Banned

pats3912's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future420
If anything, completing passes to the flats are too easy. I'm having problems running screen plays effectively. I get the ball to the RB in time, the pass is usually good and blocking is set up, but my RB 95% of the time takes a step towards the QB after he catches the ball and then tries to turn it upfield. Usually he gets tackled for a -4yd loss. Anybody else seeing this?
yea i used to have trouble with screen passes and still do sometimes. Different screen pass plays have different timing to them. its just a matter of learning your playbook and timing the throw right so your running back catches the ball in stride. The problem with some screen plays is that sometimes if you throw the ball to early the blockers dont get their in time which leaves your RB in the open to get lined up by the DB's. I have success if i run a screen pass to my HB with 3 recievers lined up together on the outside to block. That way the blockers are already in position before you hike the ball. I notice the screen plays that are designed for your tightends and O-line to come off the line and block for your HB have a low success rate cause the D-line and LB's usually break through the line instantly forcing you to get rid of the ball too quickly before the blocking is set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

I've found that on screen passes my big problem is that the RB runs out then completely sits and waits for the ball. Once I throw it to him it takes him forever to get back up to speed because of the odd changing direction animation. I feel it's a lot easier to have an effective screen pass if the RB is constantly moving, so I've started hot routing the RB to run either an out or an underneath route. He tends to catch it in stride more and can then follow his blockers up field.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

Oo, that sounds like a pretty good idea. Sending the back on a route on a designed screenplay would more accurately simulate exactly what we're going for, good call jackal. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
I've found that on screen passes my big problem is that the RB runs out then completely sits and waits for the ball. Once I throw it to him it takes him forever to get back up to speed because of the odd changing direction animation.
human error

if you throw him the ball before he stops you wont get that animation. again, maximum passing will do an even better job helping to alleviate this
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
human error

if you throw him the ball before he stops you wont get that animation. again, maximum passing will do an even better job helping to alleviate this
Yes, I can complete the pass with max passing on with the route as designed, but then I'm getting rid of the ball way too fast for the designed screen. If I'm running a screen I want the defensive linemen to be in my QB's face, in full pursuit of a sack, and then get rid of the ball at the last second. A lot of times when I would get the ball out to hit the RB in stride I'd find the OL wasn't completely in position to block for my receiver and the defense hadn't really gotten close to the QB, and some fast DEs would actually be able to reverse direction and stop my ball carrier for a minimal gain. I find modifying the route allows for the QB to hold on to the ball much longer and suck the defense in as you want to during a screen pass.

You could go either way. Either base your screen pass off of timing on the RBs route or you can base it off of the DL rush and getting rid of the ball when the DL gets close to the QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
human error

I don't use max pass, but I always had the problem of them sitting and waiting and then getting nailed. I'll have to try "leading" him a little. I always avaoided the screens because of that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »