Home

Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Banned

Bulldogs78's Arena

OVR: 6
NFL 2k tips

First, I want to say after experimenting on how to play for days, and I mean days.....I found some helpful stuff to make gameplay easier and fun for you all.

First let's go to offense.

Passing - You have to read the defense. I primarily look at the DBs rather the safeties. Reading the safeties come naturally after. Calling playmakers is a necessity. Call out multiple to throw the defenders off. If you see a DB line up right near your WR and he's fast enough, go for a streak. They have you on a bump n run and they can be beat on a streak. See them away from your WR about 5 yards or so up, they're playing off you and expecting you to streak. Go for a post corners, slant or curl. After doing these, its up to you to make the right decisions. You'll see safeties much more clearer when you notice the DBs first.

Running - I use a big back and often times, I will play the Iso motion and dives and run straight through the line. Pay attention to where your FB will lead you if you're playing I formation or any other that require FBs. Then follow him and find the gaps, run through and HOLD ON to Y Button. Often times, your big back will truck these guys hard and sometimes break away for a TD. With scatbacks, the stick is much more responsive then using the buttons and the left and right triggers.

On Defense, I usually do 1 thing. I get my LE, move him over so that he's on the other side of the LT but not too far away, and when the QB hikes the ball, I hold on to A to charge up and then the R bumper and more often, he will sack the QB or another player will. I've gotten 3 sacks per game with Justin Smith doing this.

I hope this helps you guys out. If you have any you would like to share, please do so in this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NFL 2k tips

(I gotta try that HOLD Y trick for Larry Johnson.)

PASSING - I read the safeties first. Tells you if they're thinking Run or Pass on Defense. If the FS if 12-15 yards deep and the SS if near the LOS, watch for the blitz. Also, look whether or not the CB's are shading your WRs. A little to the left or a little to the right. Use Post routes and streaks if they shade outside and Corner routes if they shade inside. Also, remember to throw the ball immediately after the receiver makes the cut so your timing isn't off. If you really need to hit that deep route, pump fake if you have the time. And use motion to throw the defense off and stack receivers running similar routes with one deep one shallow.

RUNNING - have some good sweep plays in your audibles.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Good tips! You know, when I use the pump fake, it doesn't pump fake right away. Does this do that to you too? It takes after the QB plants his feet and then some, he then pumps.

Also, when I run through the line using a big back, I first make my way through a gap, then hold Y when I see or feel a defender is coming my way and then more likely he trucks them hard. You see another one? Let go of the Y after the first initial truck, then hold Y again for that defender. You don't have to press Y right at the contact. Just hold down Y.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Banned

Bulldogs78's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
(I gotta try that HOLD Y trick for Larry Johnson.)

PASSING - I read the safeties first. Tells you if they're thinking Run or Pass on Defense. If the FS if 12-15 yards deep and the SS if near the LOS, watch for the blitz. Also, look whether or not the CB's are shading your WRs. A little to the left or a little to the right. Use Post routes and streaks if they shade outside and Corner routes if they shade inside. Also, remember to throw the ball immediately after the receiver makes the cut so your timing isn't off. If you really need to hit that deep route, pump fake if you have the time. And use motion to throw the defense off and stack receivers running similar routes with one deep one shallow.

RUNNING - have some good sweep plays in your audibles.
Just curious, what sweep plays do you use?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdood
Good tips! You know, when I use the pump fake, it doesn't pump fake right away. Does this do that to you too? It takes after the QB plants his feet and then some, he then pumps.

Also, when I run through the line using a big back, I first make my way through a gap, then hold Y when I see or feel a defender is coming my way and then more likely he trucks them hard. You see another one? Let go of the Y after the first initial truck, then hold Y again for that defender. You don't have to press Y right at the contact. Just hold down Y.
So hold it when you think someone's coming for ya?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs78
Just curious, what sweep plays do you use?
Oh boy... here's the thing. I have a custom play book I made for myself. So all my sweeps are from other teams PB's. And formation specific. And in both directions.

But I use sweeps that utilize pulling guards or tackles. Preferably the fastest lineman, guard or tackle. Whichever it is. The more run blocking the better! And nothing too far to the outside. Like a Strong T-Toss or a Strong Power.

But sweeps are the most effective when you run up the gut 1/2 or 2/3 of the time. You want the TE to seal off the outside backer and the FB (if you're in the I) to get the SS. Then just try and kill the CB. Ha.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #7
Banned

Bulldogs78's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
Oh boy... here's the thing. I have a custom play book I made for myself. So all my sweeps are from other teams PB's. And formation specific. And in both directions.

But I use sweeps that utilize pulling guards or tackles. Preferably the fastest lineman, guard or tackle. Whichever it is. The more run blocking the better! And nothing too far to the outside. Like a Strong T-Toss or a Strong Power.

But sweeps are the most effective when you run up the gut 1/2 or 2/3 of the time. You want the TE to seal off the outside backer and the FB (if you're in the I) to get the SS. Then just try and kill the CB. Ha.
I guess it depends on what sliders ur using. But ive been having more success on dive plays than sweeps.

but yeah, when you hold on to Y, do it right before the defender hits you, don't let go, just hold on, unless there's another right after him. I also penetrate the line by holding Y and alot of times, my RB usually trucks the tackle my OL is trying to block and more.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

ive played this game since it came out and yesterday I masterd the cut back run.

now if i can only get the screen plays down

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »