Home

CB's Catch Ratings

This is a discussion on CB's Catch Ratings within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: CB's Catch Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSS
But also, if you lob it up and your reciever is no where at all and a good hands safety simply drops it and this scenario happens multiple times, bad qbs or bad human controlled play is not taken advantage of.
This is exactly what i was getting at. The amount of times i have had the comp miss his receiver only for my Safety or Cb to drop the ball even though they are positioned perfectly and me pressing the catch button happens a little too often for my liking.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

CB and Safety aren’t supposed to have great hands which is why they are CB and Safety. If they could catch the ball they would be WR. How many times in real football did we see a DB be in position to catch the ball and drop it. The percentage of DB that can catch the ball is very low. Plus most INT comes from tip passes and jump balls, not bullet passes that are off target.
The CB and safety in this game are way too good and catch far too many INT. Bringing the catch for them under 5 seems to make the game more accurate, And giving that small percentage of DB that can catch to around 20.
I find by doing this it solves the INT problem. I’m half way done with my second season and no QB has double digit INT.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
It's an extreme measure to fix an extreme problem the game had out of the box: way too many INT's.

IMO it makes no sense to lower everyone's rating to 0. The sim thing to do, as some have mentioned, is to give a select number of players higher catch ratings, depending on their INT ability. But the majority of defensive players should have catch ratings set at 0, or at most in the 1-10 range, no question.
that second part is exactly my point
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolmaddenfanz27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
It's an extreme measure to fix an extreme problem the game had out of the box: way too many INT's.

IMO it makes no sense to lower everyone's rating to 0. The sim thing to do, as some have mentioned, is to give a select number of players higher catch ratings, depending on their INT ability. But the majority of defensive players should have catch ratings set at 0, or at most in the 1-10 range, no question.

that second part is exactly my point
i personally think i have a good balance on this solution in my rosters

1) safeties min catch is 15 as they are most often in zone coverage & get those meatballs lobbed into their arms that you dont want them to drop every time

2) CB catch is as follows
--minimum is 2
--3 is average
--5 is for those who supposedly have "great hands" (according to scouts or whoever) but not getting a lot of INTs in spite of this opinion
--10 is for guys who have been among league leaders in INTs the couple years prior, but did nothing or next to nothing in the season just previous (the year where the stats are being considered). Make sense? So, Chris McAllister, Ty Law, Lito Sheppard etc would get a 10 in 2008 as relatively recent ballhawks despite lower INT totals in 2007 regardless of the reason for the dip
--25 is mostly for current leaders & applies to both CBs & safeties. So, Ed Reed will get this in 2009 if he didn't have it (already did IIRC). OJ Atogwe & Asante Samuel had it last season i think, etc
^I dont mind (& actually prefer) this last touch, as it's great for sim stats & not too drastic in gameplay like one might imagine.

Remember, prob only 1 player at most would have 25 CTH on the field at one time & the lesson is to look for him in coverage & don't throw there... a la real life with a CB taking away one side of the field (Nnamdi Asomugha, Champ Bailey 2005 & 2006). Personally, I want to see Aso & Samuel & Ed Reed picking the ball off 7, 8, 9 times per season & grabbing a pick in HUM v COM games.

And for the record I hate the safeties dropping the terrible lob pass in double coverage that hits them right in the #s when they were facing it the whole time & even did the jump animation where they try to cradle it-- CTH 15 for safeties mitigates that to a degree without spiking INTs too much in HUM v COM games

Last edited by puja21; 01-18-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Remember, prob only 1 player at most would have 25 CTH on the field at one time & the lesson is to look for him in coverage & don't throw there... a la real life with a CB taking away one side of the field (Nnamdi Asomugha, Champ Bailey 2005 & 2006). Personally, I want to see Aso & Samuel & Ed Reed picking the ball off 7, 8, 9 times per season & grabbing a pick in HUM v COM games.

I just had a good example of this playing with the 86 Skins and cardnals. I was pretty good about avoiding Darrell Green, but I thought I saw an open guy deep and sure enough, Green picked it off an was off to the races. He was the only guy out there with much of an INT rating and I couldn't resist testing him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »