Home

Just started playing.

This is a discussion on Just started playing. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Just started playing.

Hey, I just started playing 2k5 (came over from Madden/NCAA), but I've been having a few problems, mainly passing.

I've noticed that I've been getting sacked... a lot. I played a game against the Colts (as the Cowboys, using an 08-09 roster) and they had 5 sacks at about a minute into the second quarter. I've also been having a lot of dropped balls by WRs (mainly TO) who are open, but either just decide not to catch the ball or just drop it when the DB comes over to see them.

Running the ball, I'm not getting any holes to run through. Granted, Barber finished the game with 20 attempts for 102 yards and 3 TDs, but there were 2 plays in the game that got me more than half those yards and a lot of the others were just 1-2 yard gains with some TFL thrown in. I;ve noticed that in addition to my O-line blocking being a little lackluster, the defense in very, very quick to react (i.e. diagnosed the play and filling the hole before I get the handoff to Barber) and have a nasty tendancy to meet me in the backfield.

I've actually been doing fairly well defensively, but I do give up the occasional long bomb for a TD. Pass defense has given me a bit of trouble, but I can play the run fairly well.

Are these problems things that will get better with time? Or is it something that I need to adjust the sliers for? (I'm using a slider set that has almost everything in the 0-10 range, but I blostered most of the Human ratings in anticipation of my failure).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Just started playing.

you're so ingrained with Madden's gameplay, you just do not see the real physics of football being expressed in NFL 2K. in Madden, the lineman do not create a pocket for the quarterback, in 2K they do. In 2K, you dont drop back 15 yards to throw the ball, you do 1-7 step drop backs. Recievers not catching passes, up the sliders or throw on Performance Equalizer.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

The drops do happen in 2k and there are a variety of reasons- Qb accuracy, consistancy, catch ratings and slider settings. Try messing with the settings first and see what happens. If that deoes work or is too much, try upping the consistancy of your WRs. Keep in mind though, that if he gets crunched right after the catch, the defense will jar it loose sometimes.

With running, it depends on what roster you are using. Some are easier to run with than others, but a lot of runs are 1-2-3 yards with the big run evening things out. You can mess with the blocking slider a bit and see if that helps until you get used to the style and find you go-to plays a bit more.

It sounds like you may be using JSOU's roster, which leans pretty heavily towards defense (from what I've read).
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
The drops do happen in 2k and there are a variety of reasons- Qb accuracy, consistancy, catch ratings and slider settings. Try messing with the settings first and see what happens. If that deoes work or is too much, try upping the consistancy of your WRs. Keep in mind though, that if he gets crunched right after the catch, the defense will jar it loose sometimes.

With running, it depends on what roster you are using. Some are easier to run with than others, but a lot of runs are 1-2-3 yards with the big run evening things out. You can mess with the blocking slider a bit and see if that helps until you get used to the style and find you go-to plays a bit more.

It sounds like you may be using JSOU's roster, which leans pretty heavily towards defense (from what I've read).
I can understand the drops that happen when the defense jars the WR right after the catch, but I'm having Terell Owens (90 Catch, 80+ Consistency) drop 4-5 wide open passes a game. I'm using Wookie's roster from http://www.operationsports.com/forum...es-up-nov.html. Is there a better one? I was using JSOU's for a little bit I think, but even with that one I was doing better running than with this one.

As for the "real football physics," I played Madden making 5-7 step drops. I never dropped back 15 yards to pass. I've noticed the pocket forming around my QB, the problem is that it doesn't form for long enough. In the time it takes me to make the 5-7 step drop, set up, and read the coverage on my WRs, the DL and/or LB have all engaged the OL and 2-3 people have already shed their blocks and are closing in for the sack. 2k5 is a lot better than Madden in the physics/animation department, but I think they overdid the lack of ability to throw on the run. A lot of the scrambling QBs can throw short dump-off passes well while moving (Romo, Roethlisberger etc.), but in 2k5 if you are not completely set up, then chances are your pass is going to be WAY off target.

One thing I've noticed about 2k5 is that your guys don't have to be a 90+ rating to be good, which is a refreshing change. However, I don't understand how a team with 3 players rated above a 90 rating (TO-96, Witten-95, Ware-91) can have a 95 overall team rating, with a 95 offense and a 93 defense. I'm not really complaining, I just don't understand the logic here.

Last edited by Dianwei32; 02-10-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Yeah it def sounds like your using JSOU's rosters which are great! I just got my bro playing 2k5 and he uses the Cowboys also and when you described what was happening to you I found myself having dejavu...His game looked exactly the same as what you explained. You really need to be aware of the pocket in this game. As soon as your QB drop back is done you should be unloading the ball or steping up into a whole that opens up in the O-line if there is one. I have been playing this game for a couple of months and there are games where I am holding on too long and the sacks start racking up.

Just a suggestion but try letting your QB drop back on his own and if no one is open then move him around to the open spot to buy time. It takes some time but it is alot of fun playing QB in this game. Very challenging!

In the run game you really need to lay off the speed button until you get to the hole. Be patient...Be patient! You will see your average move up around 3.4 or 4 yrds/carry in a bit. Most runs you are just going to be trying to get into a hole and putting your head down for an extra couple yards. The one thing that is a must is to learn how to use all your moves and the power up to get a couple extra, its very important other wise your back will get crushed.

Hope this helps! good luck!

Last edited by cedwebb; 02-10-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

I guess I would go back to saying work the sliders first. If they are zeroed out or close to it, everyone is going to drop passes. Also, some helpful things to do are to check to the backs when the pressure is on- that helps a lot and they can break some really big gains. Also, hot routes might help- send your guys to the places the defense isn't- if they are laying off, send them to the flat. Playing up- send them deep. I like having one or two routes in mind- one deep and one short that I check off first. Narrowing my options helps. I also manually drop my QB. I don't go 15 yards back, but 7 is not uncommon for me and make sure his feet are set.

In short-
1. Drops issue- work the sliders first.
2. Look for dump offs to backs.
3. Set QB feet.

I really think upping your blocking slider is going to help both your running and passing game.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Pro

Thanks for the advice guys. In regards to laying off the speed button for the running game, I don't use the speed boost very much. When the play starts I use the charge so that I can have a better chance of breaking the first tackle that I encounter. After that first broken tackle I usually try to cut upfield and gain some yardage before more defenders can get there. I only use the speed boost button when I'm heading upfield (and even then I might charge up if someone is catching up and I might need to stiff arm them). I learned plenty well in both Madden and APF 2k8 to lay off the speed and follow your blockers.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18

Be sure to read the defense before each snap to see if they are in zone or man to man. For me if I read man then I either look for my TE or a WR with an inside route and if they are in zone I watch a spot on the field to see where the LBs and Ss are moving then proceed to look at my WRs.

Remember to throw on time because if you are early ( before you drop back is completed ) then there is a higher chance of an errant throw and if you are late then there could be an INT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »