Home

The mysteries of the Fullback

This is a discussion on The mysteries of the Fullback within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
The mysteries of the Fullback

Does anyone else have the problem where your FB doesn't block on plays that go outside of the tackles? I like to run the Strong/Weak Power plays (one of the guards will pull and the play goes off the outside edge of the LT/TE). However, I've noticed that 98% of the time, there will be an OLB/SS coming up to try and make a play, but the FB will run right by him and not even attempt to block him. This forces me to break a tackle to just get back to the LoS, and usually another tackle to gain any yardage.

Maybe it's just the FBs on the teams I use (Cowboys- Deon Anderson, Bucs- BJ Askew), but I've noticed that the FB almost never blocks the guy that is coming up to make the play in the backfield on outisde runs. They block fin on inside runs, just not outside ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The mysteries of the Fullback

Maybe it depends on the assignment? Also, is there a difference between how he blocks if shifted to one side or the other vs. being in an I formation? Another experiment is to max out the run block attribute and take it in game.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

I've noticed this on occasion too. It is frustrating when he passes up a guy and you get nailed behind the line by a safety.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

It happens to me. Iv learned not to use certin motion with the fb and i usually run from a singleback anyway. Im thinking of doing a global edit to fb runblocking but i also like him missing blocks as well. USUALLY but not always the better fb have this happen alot less.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
MVP

dophin26's Arena

One of these days (when I'm through editing for a while), I'm going to do some "tests" myself on some of this stuff. I also wonder about the ratings of K / P and distance of kicks and punts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 49

This is one of the huge problems I have with NFL 2k5(then again Maddens much much worse). I dont like how its either a sack, or not sack with defensive pressure. The RB's and line need to move for the blocks. This would make much more pressure instances and less sacks. Im a pretty good player, but I get sacked so much its crazy. Often with no sense of presure until the sack occurs. More pressure makes the game better. Is there anything better then getting away from defenders and making a great throw?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
MVP

dophin26's Arena

I have actually solved this for the most part with my last two rosters. I pay special attention to sacks, because I always had the same point of view.

My last few rosters (85 and now 86 especially) see a lot more pressure and "almost getting there" but not the sack. In fact, sometimes I get frustrated because I'll stunt outside, swim inside and basically cheese to get that sack towards the end of the game when I need it and still can't get it.
In simming / playing over a season, my starters are mostly right on with their sack numbers. The only real difference I've noticed is that the guys who rarely see the field won't get theirs as much, so instead of overall team sacks being 50, you'll get 38-40, because the 1 or 2 sack guys didn't get 1 or 2, they got 0-1.

It did cause me to lower some QB speed numbers though, because you see the pressure coming a little more and have an extra second to think about getting out of it. Last night I played 1986 Philly vs. 49ers. I was Cunningham on the 8 yard line (going in) and I called a rollout pass. Ronnie Lott came up to the line to blitz and I knew I was gonna get hammered, so as I was rolling out, I immediately went back the other way to see a backer comig in from that outside. I turned it up, got lucky, and walked into the endzone- the ILBs had gone back into coverage and there was a sliver of a hole up the middle. TD.

I do have to say Randall is pretty fast for my QBs though. Most of the time when I take off with other QBs I am dragged down from behind.

I know my ratings aren't what everyone looks for (my RBs and WRs are much slower that the DBs for instance), but on the field play is great. You know you got it right when your 68 speed TE can burn off 40-50 yards on a fly post pattern before getting tackled by the 93 speed DB right before hitting the endzone.

Last edited by dophin26; 03-01-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

For better FB blocking, and better blocking in general for all players, up their aggressiveness rating to the 75-99 range.

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »