Home

The mysteries of the Fullback

This is a discussion on The mysteries of the Fullback within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The mysteries of the Fullback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
I use the pulling guard plays some, but it's kind of pointless because the O-linemen are so slow that by the time they pull and get around to make a block, the play is either over, or my HB is sprinting dowfield for the TD.
Careful when u say pointless, if i remember right your one of the newer ones to the game. It all depends on your back and your timing and plays. I only use counters on people cuz it does take to long against cpu like you said. You just have to find the right ones. I use power runs from the skins book but not the tosses with pulling tackles. ONCE you learn the ins and outs of them you can make them deadly. Also just make sure its agaist the right defense. I just want you to know that they can be used very well by some. I guess the same goes for screens as well. Some use them fine some never hit the hb at all or just lose yards. I guess its just one of those things.

Last edited by sb24; 03-04-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

I know many like the 40 time system of rating speed, but I like having my backs slower (like in the low-mid 80s) and my line a little quicker (low-mid 60s). It allows them to pull and actually get out in front of the play. There is nothing like waiting for those blocks to set up and seeing the FB lead the hole and the guard pick up the backer or kick out the DB as you run past him in the hole.

The lack of speed does cut down on my breakaway runs though, so if you like to routinely see 50-60 yarders, you wouldn't be quite as happy.

As a comparison, I looked at my 1985 roster compared to Puja's roster this year (and yes, he knows I respect his work and I am aware of how he gets his numbers, etc.)

RUNNING BACKS: _
2009 RBs avg. speed rating = 87
1985 RBs avg. speed rating = 79

2009 TOP 20% RBs avg. speed rating = 93
1985 TOP 20% RBs avg. speed rating = 86

GUARDS: _
2009 Guards avg. speed rating = 48
1985 Guards avg. speed rating = 58

2009 TOP 20% Guards avg. speed rating = 61
1985 TOP 20% Guards avg. speed rating = 66

The point to all that is that the 85 RBs don't outrun the G/C to the point of attack (as much). On average, my RBs are only 21 points higher than the Gs, while the 2009 RBs are an average of 39 points higher. I think the Top 20 is a better comparison (since they are on the field the most) and there the 1985 RBs are 20 points higher and the 2009 RBs average 32 points higher than their guards.

* In my own highly biased opinion, my numbers allow the guards to get out in front a little better.

* Also, this doesn't take into account differences in DL / LB speeds either, which affect how fast they get to the ball carrier on the other end.

* It also takes into account using my own sliders, which may have something to do with things.

Last edited by dophin26; 03-04-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26

* In my own highly biased opinion, my numbers allow the guards to get out in front a little better.
I like your ideas and where your taking them. Looks like i will download your rosters tonight.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
You just have to find the right ones. I use power runs from the skins book but not the tosses with pulling tackles.
I'm actually the opposite. The only pulling plays I've had success with are the tosses with pulling tackles. I find that often the tackle can pull and cover the ground quickly enough to pick up an OLB much better than the far guard can pull and come across the formation to pick up a block. Counters would probably work well, but there aren't any (that I can find, I'm using the Ravens playbook because it works out of a base 3-4 defense).
Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
[...]

That is also why I'm not a 49ers fan either.

[...]

lol If it's any consolation you were playing against a team whose only loss was by a fg (and even that was sketchy, since it required a bogus pass interference call...)

Quick Question:

Do you guys literally edit the entire roster to recreate past seasons, or do you just edit your team (also, if you DO edit the entire roster, is it REALLY the entire NFL's roster?)? Can you even do this? Can they be shared online?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah, I am some others edit the entire roster. I re-edit every player for every year. I'm on my fourth season ('83-'86) and have even gone back to previous seasons to edit again to improve on what I didn't like the first time around.

For 1986, I am using Dreadedsteelers' 1986 roster, but added 170 players and am editing all of them one by one to match my other rosters. Also, I rate each year based on performance. Guys may go up or down quite a few points each year based on what they did on field, injuries, win/loss, etc. that is not to mention all the other stuff like switching teams in conferences, editing schedules, coaches, playbooks, etc. They are shared online at the link below.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »