Home

Kickoff return?

This is a discussion on Kickoff return? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Kickoff return?

Hey community, is there a way to help with kickoff returns in the game? Its like as soon as a get the ball, the defenders are there and my guys dont even block them. I want to run back for a touchdown, but never have. Is there a way to counter this, is it the way the game plays, or can i adjust my personnel to help? Since u cant do any other formation on kickoff. Thanks to u community and LONG LIFE 2k5!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Kickoff return?

Use the search tool. Theres a couple threads on it. I know i replied.

For the record im not going to type the same thing i did in another (older) thread.

Last edited by sb24; 02-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 49

I actually find kick offs to be easy, even on harder settings. Strange.

I do have to say, regarding another area of the game that isnt so easy for me -I BLOCKED A FIELD GOAL LAST NIGHT-YA! Sweet animation, to bad it rarely happens.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

^cool. You can also ice a field goal and return misses.

Anyway, to the guy that started this thread-try and use the right stick jukes. I know this is abstract, but just try and evade the first wave of defenders. I returned one 80 yards, once, but was then cut down ten or twenty yards short of the goal line.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Yeah, what typically seems like a problem is that 1 or 2 defenders come at you without even being touched as they come down field. As alluded to above, if you can make the first couple of guys miss, then you have a great shot at making a good return since the downfield blocking isn't too bad. I found the best way to make these guys miss is by using the right stick, and return with either a fast WR or RB, since the CBs couldn't break tackles as well or hold onto the ball while being hit mid-move.

Another thing that may be of help is changing who you have as your secondary kick returner. In my franchise the other day, my #2 returner got injured and was replaced by a backup TE. Not realizing it until I got lined up to receive, I didn't make any changes. The backup TE, my #2 returner, actually blocked for me. It made it so one less guy was coming comletely free, something I could never get out of my speedy WRs, DBs, or RBs. In theory I think you could try placing a better blocker at the #2 spot to serve as your "lead blocker" (either TE or FB) and it might help. Of course you'll be in a bad spot when the ball gets kicked to him though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

The problem seems to be that VC overcorrected something that occurred in 2K4...... KR/PR were too easy. If you watch the replays and take a look at your defenders you can see that for a short time they act as if they are spectators on the play and not actually involved. Sure you can juke and jive your way down the field in an unrealistic fashion, but it sounds like you don't want to have to do something that makes it look like your guy is having a seizure on his way into the end zone.

One solution I came up with, though it is not perfect, is to replace on the kicking and punting teams (for both you and the cpu) the attackers with the slowest guys on the team (O-linemen, TE's, backup QB's, etc.). It takes a little time and a little doing at first, but I think you'll like the results both ways....the cpu also makes better returns and can even be a threat to take one to the house. Also, when you are kicking or punting to the cpu, don't take manual control of another defender.... just let the controller go and let it play out. Your kicker will run down automatically and get involved in the play.

Oh, and here's a tip if you really want to try this...... when you shuffle back and forth to substitute in the "slow butts" you don't have to pay attention to the names. The game will automatically sub in the backups and someone who is not already on the list. For example, say you are bringing in all of the backup offensive tackles in the stable of 5 that you have (so 3 will be on the kicking / punting teams; the game will not put the starters in). You choose the existing slot for who you want to sub, go to the tackles, pick the 1st tackle there who is listed (even if he is a starting tackle) and the game will stick in one of the 3 backups. You can then repeat the process for 2 more slots and get all 3 backup tackles on the coverage/attacking kicking team. It's a bit more convenient that way and saves a little time.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 10

thank u guys!!! Love the community

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »