Home

Euphoria + 2k Engine = Heaven?

This is a discussion on Euphoria + 2k Engine = Heaven? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Euphoria + 2k Engine = Heaven?

Do you guys think that if 2k purchased the rights to publish Backbreaker and imported 2k's existing engine into that game, that it could seriously challenge Madden?

I think that if you add full customization (literally full; stadiums, logos, uni's) + 2k's Engine + 2k5's Presentation + Backbreaker's Physics + Good Marketing = The Madden Killer.

What you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Euphoria + 2k Engine = Heaven?

Madden Killer?

As long as EA has the NFL there is no madden killer.

Its unfortunate.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsii13
Do you guys think that if 2k purchased the rights to publish Backbreaker and imported 2k's existing engine into that game, that it could seriously challenge Madden?

I think that if you add full customization (literally full; stadiums, logos, uni's) + 2k's Engine + 2k5's Presentation + Backbreaker's Physics + Good Marketing = The Madden Killer.

What you guys think?
Well no. Doesnt need the backbreaker engine. If you did full customization with 2k8 that would have killed it. Theres threads on that side (2k8). Edit: well i guess you know bout the 2k8 thread you started it. lol

Also you say seriously challenge madden? Madden is popular and has high sales. Does that make it a high quality game? So what is the challenge to madden? Getting people to play both games for long enough to actually have a good opinion on both? I hate reading the madden forums (and these) when someone says "WOW i JUST played 2k5 and i am amazed at how great the game is. the presentation, the ol/dl interaction, the wr/db interaction." I really hate that. Thanks for showing us you didnt give 2k5 a real chance back then.

So no. Backbreaker wouldnt help. People would be ALL about 2k if there was a new game peroid. No backbreaker needed (would be nice)

Also not to mention..... Madden fans wont leave their game just cuz 2k has backbreaker. How many threads are there about broken gameplay for 09? People are set in there ways with madden so backbreaker wouldnt help a bit.

Last edited by sb24; 04-07-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Banned

Very well said
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Banned

Madden is not a high quality game but its sales are unreal.

I just hope that 2k can release a game that has a BIG appeal to entice it to keep releasing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm agreed...somewhat...with sb24, insofar as he's saying you could make an awesome football game with a new physics engine, etc., and it still wouldn't touch Madden in sales.

But please, this talk about Backbreaker as the savior of console football has to stop. Backbreaker was never even close to being a viable football game. At best, it was a "proof of concept," but only if that "concept" was that it was possible to make trailers for football games not named Madden on 360 and PS3!

I love the hardcore batch of sports gamers on this board, but we do have to remember that the world doesn't revolve around us. What did APF 2k8 sell, something like 200k copies? It probably didn't help that the game was already $19.99 about 2 months post release, which meant that used copies (and there were plenty traded in) were available for $15 or less. The hardcore community WAS excited for APF 2k8 and many of us DID go out and buy that game before it became evident how shallow of an experience that was. The problem is that the hardcore football market might not be bigger than 200k or 300k! The rest of the people either a) don't evaluate games critically enough to care if Madden is "good" or not; b) never even knew APF 2k8 was on the shelves; or c) were never going to look at a game with no NFL licensing anyway.

APF 2k8 didn't fail because its physics engine wasn't as good as Euphoria (which, by the way, NONE of us have ever really seen in a football game). It failed because it tried too hard to cater to the name recognition factor (signing up NFL vets) rather than focusing on the depth and gameplay that the target audience (hardcore disenchanted anti-Madden people) were going to demand. And if you expected it to do well in terms of sales, what are you basing that on when NFL 2k5 is supposedly "one of the best games of all time", HAD an NFL license, sold for $30 cheaper at retail, and STILL got destroyed by Madden?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

I know you guys may personally attack me for saying this, & I don't care. . .but if 2K added Euphoria to their engine. . .I think I would orgasm, then pass out.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsii13
Madden is not a high quality game but its sales are unreal.

I just hope that 2k can release a game that has a BIG appeal to entice it to keep releasing
"Big" is all relative. No new kid on the block football game could possibly hope to sell 1/4 of what Madden sells on Maddenoliday alone. But if you're a run-of-the-mill RTS, low-budget shooter, or college sports game, selling even 1 million copies would be a major victory. You had to figure that 2k could've put an HD sheen on the old 2k5 engine, and simply worked on the franchise depth and some gameplay tweaks to start without incurring major costs. Instead, they threw money at washed up NFL vets and put out a shallow product, so there was little profit to be had, and little incentive for a 2k9.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »