Home

pass blocking

This is a discussion on pass blocking within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
pass blocking

I just bought this game for the first time at gamestop for 99 cents. Love the presentation, but how do you get time to throw the ball downfield?
My pass blocking never works no matter what team I use. Please help. I have tried sliders, but to no avail I can can not get any time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: pass blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels28
I just bought this game for the first time at gamestop for 99 cents. Love the presentation, but how do you get time to throw the ball downfield?
My pass blocking never works no matter what team I use. Please help. I have tried sliders, but to no avail I can can not get any time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
How much time do you expect? Are you trying to throw deep on a play with a three step drop? Not going to happen. Make sure your picking plays that have 7 step drops and forget madden dropback passing(if thats what your used to). Also you can use the qb avoid feature (right stick) when a guy is comming free.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Rookie

Thank you, I will try that. I guess madden spoiled me over the years. Thank again
Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Ok yea forget everything you learned about madden passing. Heres my best tip. When your picking a pass play, expect the red route to be the one you throw to. Say its a 5 step drop with an out patter. Well when you see your qb going into that last step or the "bounce" foward, thats when you throw the ball. Just like the nfl its a timing based thing.

So until you get a little more familiar, that will help you get completions. I dont always use the primary reciever but it does help if i get in a funk. Also keep in mind im giving you the basics of the passing as i am a running guy.

Just make sure you have patience for the learning curve. Hopefully someone else will chime in with better tips. And while i cant explain it here, i can get a fairly effective deep game and im usually on legend. Also try practice mode just offense so you can get a feel for the qb dropback and the effect of the wr cuts.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
...Any suggestions?

Thank you
I would say about 80% of the time you need to shift to the shape of the pocket and away from the blitz (if there is one). This is done with a very slight movement of the left analog stick. Don't push it all the way in one direction or else you'll see the QB break into a running animation.

I suggest going into practice mode to practice this. Don't even pass the ball for about 10-15 snaps, just shift around in the pocket to get a feel for it. After a while it becomes second nature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Rookie

I am now understanding why everyone bashes madden. I hope madden can get some of this presentation right, if not i'll save myself $60.
I am learning to pass quicker and run better. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

My house rule is to not touch the quarterback in the pocket. Just let him take his own drop, it's beautiful football because the timing is usually right and I'm not scrambling all over the backfield like Mike Vick. I always stay in the pocket and just let the cpu take care of all footwork unless it's time to tuck it, then I'll tuck it and go

Try this and see if you like it, it's not for everyone but I think it makes for a more realistic/sim style game
Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I am now understanding why everyone bashes madden.
Who does that?? Then they don't know video football! Have you seen the new Madden 10 clips? The game looks positively 2004! Some of the best versions of Madden were produced around then!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »