Home

Still the Champ

This is a discussion on Still the Champ within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Still the Champ

Just played the Madden NFL 10 demo.

The presentation is very nicely done. Definitely matches NFL 2K5 in terms of play cut-scenes and such.

However, the commentary is RUBBISH from what I've seen from the E3 coverage. It's absolutely horrendous. No emotion at all (Collinsworth is fine, but Hammond is absolutely terrible).

The half-time and post-game shows, from what I've seen from E3, are also pretty "meh".

The gameplay... wow. Absolutely terrible compared to NFL 2K5 (and APF 2K8 for that matter).

Pro-tak isn't as good as 2k's tackle system. It does more bad than good for Madden's engine, which needs a revamp drastically. Players can still turn on a dime, they still run awkwardly, and player momentum is non-existent.

Things happen in Madden NFL 10 that I cannot even deem possible. Players changing momentum mid-air and tackling receivers, "speed" backs trucking through three linebackers, receivers looking over the wrong shoulder when catching a ball.

It's just bad. EA made a good attempt, a good EA attempt at least, which isn't saying much, but in the end, they missed the mark. The gameplay that 2K designed still reigns supreme.

I was really looking forward to a new football game, too. Here's hoping for Madden NFL 11.

They really, really need to take a look at hiring new animation design staff.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Disagree.

I think this "legacy" is getting overblown. I played my old 2K5 the other day and it was still cool but its not untouchable.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
I agree, while 2K5 does have flaws it is a better representation of real football. Madden is still not at the 2K5 level, which is a joke considering all the years. 2K5 is still the king.
You 2k5 dudes love this game without fail.
It is the way I loved MVP baseball 2005, think about it 2005 was the year exclusive rights was born. I am a madden fan it would have bettered both franchises if the competition was still alive today.
2005 was also a dark year for me, it was when time warner took over aldephia cable and bought out comcast in the southern california area and took away nfl network.
But now I understand and feel your pain.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah! I was able to have NFL Network for about I was 4 months and then it was suddenly gone. It didn't blow me away, but anytime I needed an NFL fix, I was set.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Rookie

BRETT40's Arena

OVR: 1

all i want to know is why didn't 2k promote this game like ea promotes madden. my heart broke when i heard ea got the exclusive rights to the nfl. that being said, i have seen madden 10 and it is just like 2k5....dig this, they even have the cut scenes of tailgaiting...remember 2k5 did this way back in the day and ea is just now doing it.
i will purchase madden...but i look forward to the day that ea loses the license...does anyone know when that will be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETT40
all i want to know is why didn't 2k promote this game like ea promotes madden. my heart broke when i heard ea got the exclusive rights to the nfl. that being said, i have seen madden 10 and it is just like 2k5....dig this, they even have the cut scenes of tailgaiting...remember 2k5 did this way back in the day and ea is just now doing it.
i will purchase madden...but i look forward to the day that ea loses the license...does anyone know when that will be?

I think 2012, unless it's renewed.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 15

As someone who purchased Madden NFL 2010 for 360, I will say that after three days and about 8 or so games, its going on ebay.

Gameplay is NOT even close to being like 2K5. If it was, I wouldnt be selling it. For every positive, there's two negatives. And forget the so-called presentation because it still doesnt exist. The halftime show is better than 2K3 but thats it. No commentary for your highlights and its just blah. The post game is horrible. Its nothing but talking about all the other games and whatnot. IR is still wrong. The depth chart has a Long Snapper position but yet, no team has their actual real life long snapper. I hate the kicking game. Its crap. There's no mini-camp which was my favorite thing in Madden 2004 and something I was looking forward to but it doesnt exist. I'm still trying to figure out why NFLN is presented when EA spent millions to purchase the ESPN license for 15 years which is now 1/3 over and done with.

Oh well, im off from work the next few days and I can get back to updating 2K5.

P.S. - Anyone who wants to buy an Xbox 360, Madden, 120GB HD, 3 controllers (2 wired) and some other games via ebay, please send me a PM. Yeah, I know its cheap but I need to get back the money I spent since im not keeping it.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #24
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

You got it already? I pre-ordered it and am waiting on its arrival. Not the most favorable review there. I thought I'd give it a shot after quitting after my 2004 edition (which I liked, but got rid of my PS2 for xbox and then went to 2k5). I didn't get into the demo, but I'd hate to base my judgement on that.

Speaking of a different game, I went back and played APF today, which I'd shelved after just a few games. Mixed review from me on that one. Aside from the obvious (no franchise, real teams, etc.) I was a little put off by the same commentary (although they added new to it) and the halftime show lacked the same ol spark that Berman gave it. Maybe he is the key to halftime success

Still, I'll probably play it again and try to get some of the nuances down. Can't hurt to have another game in the stable.

Last edited by dophin26; 08-23-2009 at 04:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »