Home

Still the Champ

This is a discussion on Still the Champ within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Still the Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
You got it already? I pre-ordered it and am waiting on its arrival. Not the most favorable review there. I thought I'd give it a shot after quitting after my 2004 edition (which I liked, but got rid of my PS2 for xbox and then went to 2k5). I didn't get into the demo, but I'd hate to base my judgement on that.

Speaking of a different game, I went back and played APF today, which I'd shelved after just a few games. Mixed review from me on that one. Aside from the obvious (no franchise, real teams, etc.) I was a little put off by the same commentary (although they added new to it) and the halftime show lacked the same ol spark that Berman gave it. Maybe he is the key to halftime success

Still, I'll probably play it again and try to get some of the nuamces down. Can't hurt to have another game in the stable.
I got it this past Friday. I played several games and tried to get into it but just couldnt. Theres some positives but more negatives. In the end, I just cant get into the gameplay to where im enjoying and having fun playing it. Whenever I play 2K5, I have fun playing it even when I lose. One main thing that you'll notice is that the 3-4 teams still have a lot of 4-3 plays and the depth chart is still focused on 4-3. Its not like 2K5 where you will have inside and outside LB's.

Long story short, I spent about $500 on 360, the 120 GB HD, Madden and other games. Well, the system is already back in the box and will be put on ebay later this week or next week so I can get back my money or at least most of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #26
Rookie

SteelCityChamp's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Long story short, I spent about $500 on 360, the 120 GB HD, Madden and other games. Well, the system is already back in the box and will be put on ebay later this week or next week so I can get back my money or at least most of it.
You can play 2K5 on 360. It looks pretty damned good. Better than on the regular XBox or PS2. It's upscaled and looks nice. Don't get rid of the system.
NBA - Los Angeles Lakers
CBB - NC Tarheels
Bundesliga - FC Bayern Munich
MLS - Seattle Sounders
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityChamp
You can play 2K5 on 360. It looks pretty damned good. Better than on the regular XBox or PS2. It's upscaled and looks nice. Don't get rid of the system.
Yeah, I know that 2K5 can still be played on 360 and I thought about that but going through the process of transferring rosters back and forth is a huge pain in the *** compared to the original Xbox.

Also, I dont have an HDTV and 2K5 only supports 480p so there's not really much of an upgrade. Unlike most gamers nowadays, im not a graphics whore and have no problem with how 2K5 looks on Xbox. Quite honestly, I still think that 2K5's player models look better than Madden especially the faces. The faces in Madden are beyond horrible because they dont even look like who they're supposed to. The stadiums look great in Madden and I even thought about buying an HDTV from Best Buy for $300 by Toshiba or Samsung but then thought to myself, if im not going to play Madden, why spend more money on something that will just sit there and collect dust. Plus, you cant play older systems (SNES, Sega CD, etc.) on HDTV's because they arent compatible with each other and the games look all screwed up.

I should have just stayed wih trying Madden on the PS2 which I originally was going to do but after watching the Ravens/Titans game on YouTube that Ian was playing, I decided to buy a 360 instead. Obviously, NOT a smart idea on my part. I thought that I might be able to get into Madden and actually play it but that didnt happen and no, it does NOT play like 2K5.

Bottom line is that im going to do what I should have done all along and thats stay with 2K5 and keep updating it.

ESPN NFL 2K5 is STILL the greatest football video game released thus far and after playing 2010, im pretty damn confident that its going to stay that way for years to come.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

dan77733 you made the right choice to sell your 360. The gaming industry sucks right now for a number of reasons. I used to be optimistic that it would pull through and put out worthwhile titles, but have since given up on it.

It still might, and I hope it does... But I think the chances are greater that it'll only continue to disappoint.

Praise Finn... And Marty Moose.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
dan77733 you made the right choice to sell your 360. The gaming industry sucks right now for a number of reasons. I used to be optimistic that it would pull through and put out worthwhile titles, but have since given up on it.

It still might, and I hope it does... But I think the chances are greater that it'll only continue to disappoint.

Praise Finn... And Marty Moose.
It's nothing but graphics and thats it. So many games are about 10 or so hours of actual gameplay and thats not worth $60 in my opinion. To top it off, some games I read about seemed interesting to try out but they're FPS and I hate FPS.

I'll stick with the last gen and classic systems like Xbox, PS2, GCN, PSone, SNES, SEGA CDX, N64 and others. I have about 35 or so games with them all being "classics" or my all-time favorites. I have several more to buy and may expand my collection from 40 to 50 if I decide to buy Saturn and 3DO which I owned years ago.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 6

I haven't played Madden since 2004, I didn't have high hopes for Madden 2010 after seeing the demo. The game play still does not compare to 2k5, so I will keep playing 2k5.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
It's nothing but graphics and thats it. So many games are about 10 or so hours of actual gameplay and thats not worth $60 in my opinion. To top it off, some games I read about seemed interesting to try out but they're FPS and I hate FPS.

I'll stick with the last gen and classic systems like Xbox, PS2, GCN, PSone, SNES, SEGA CDX, N64 and others. I have about 35 or so games with them all being "classics" or my all-time favorites. I have several more to buy and may expand my collection from 40 to 50 if I decide to buy Saturn and 3DO which I owned years ago.
How dare you not mention the Dreamcast! HOW DARE YOU!! I will now go retrieve a kleenex from my Dreamcast shaped kleenex box!

Man... with your love for all of those systems I can't believe you don't have a "special" xbox.

...and loved the Saturn. Slick looking and ahead of its' time!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #32
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

unfortunately there's not many good sports titles for the 360 other than NBA2k series.2K baseball is well.... ****.

The main games that kept me going was the Gears of War and Call of Duty series,especially Gears.Mass Effect is also very good,
and I liked Forza,another ones out soon.

I rarely spend $60 for a game.I have 17 360 games and only spent full price for the two GOW games,Forza 2, COD 4 and Halo3.The others were $20-$30.There's plenty of good cheap older titles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »