Home

Still the Champ

This is a discussion on Still the Champ within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Still the Champ

I will tell you, I have played the demo and i am really impressed with the strides Ian and company have made with the game this year. I will buy like every year but this year i may keep it for a while but i dont care how much i like it , 2k5 will always get love from me simply because i feel apart of the game when i play it. How did they do it, lol
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
I've played 2k5 so much, it is almost as though that is the only thing that "feels" like football to me. When I try another game, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know the ins and outs like 2k5, so it doesn't feel as natural. That may be what is keeping me from switching and truly enjoying another title.
It's like the loyal friend that you always end up hanging out with. I think that I may end up seeing my friend a little less come augest-dec.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 16

Yeh guys i know what you mean, in years past 2k5 was like a long time companion that you had, then one day you see a super model (madden) comes walking down the street. She looks great, she fun for awhile but soon you realize that she never really was all that fun and she cost to much and dose not supply you with your basic needs. you then come crawling back to the one that fulfills your needs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 17

Denial can be an ugly thing. Look, I loved 2K5 as much as anybody but the reality is that the game has not aged well. The gameplay engine was showing its age in 2008 when it was ported and re-packaged as APF. Even more so now. If you want to be mad at a video game for years on end and force yourself to hate EA's games then go for it, but you're only cheating yourself out of what many are calling the best football video game ever made. The reviews are coming in and they don't stack up well for the 2K5 die hards' stance. Goldeneye was a great and revolutionary game for its time too, but it's been outdone. And so has 2k5.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Denial can be an ugly thing. Look, I loved 2K5 as much as anybody but the reality is that the game has not aged well. The gameplay engine was showing its age in 2008 when it was ported and re-packaged as APF. Even more so now. If you want to be mad at a video game for years on end and force yourself to hate EA's games then go for it, but you're only cheating yourself out of what many are calling the best football video game ever made. The reviews are coming in and they don't stack up well for the 2K5 die hards' stance. Goldeneye was a great and revolutionary game for its time too, but it's been outdone. And so has 2k5.
I'm not sure there's many blind loyalists among the 'fixtures' in this forum.Most are giving Madden '10 a try.I certainly wouldn't judge it by the demo but I wouldn't say go out and spend $60 blindly either.

I read where even community day participants didn't think that Madden '10 was quite up to 2k5 standards yet.Football is football.The game engine really hasn't changed for Madden either.I will say that Ian and co. should be appreciated for their hard work and time spent on the forum.Madden '10 seems to be improved,though I haven't played the final version yet.I plan to,then I'll give an unbiased opinion.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
While Madden 2010 may arguably be the best Madden game thus far, its still has more negatives than positives and for a company thats had no competition for five years, thats unacceptable. Injured Reserve is STILL flawed!!! How is that even possible??? And all these guys who work at EA are supposed to know how he NFL works but yet its obvious that they dont.

I think that 2K5 has aged well all things considered and dont think that 2K5 has past its time yet because it still does so many damn things RIGHT that Madden 2010 STILL does WRONG and thats why it still hasnt been surpassed. I'll give Madden the edge in visuals for the stadiums and whatnot but the player models still dont look right to me, there's too many mistakes (like Titans Amano having long hair when in reality he doesnt) and the faces are horrible.

Granted, the generic faces in 2K5 are okay at best but they werent meant to be spot on anyway where as five years later in Madden for far superior consoles in terms of capabilities isnt even close compared to the players in 2K5 that have cyberfaces.

And I love the fact that on the depth chart, there's a LONG SNAPPER position yet, no team has their real life long snapper. Try to figure that one out.

As for hating EA, I hate them for what the company has become. For those who have 3DO, play the original Need For Speed and Road Rash. I bought 3DO for those two games back in 1994 and they were classics. 15 years later, WTF has happened to EA????? Excluding 2010, the only game that I have purchased since NFS and RR was the original Def Jam Vendetta on PS2 and I hate rap/hip hop. The reason why I purchased DJV was because the developer was AKI (who developed the STILL greatest wrestling game thus far, WWF No Mercy for N64) and I knew the game engine was going to be damn good. Its a shame that EA forced AKI to make DJV more of a pure fighting game compared to the original which was wrestling with a little fighting mixed in.

As for APF 2K8, I didnt like it at all. Amazingly, I liked the demo better. The only thing that was awesome in 2K8 were all the different stadiums and logos and stuff. Thats it.

As for reviews, IGN rated 2010 a 8.9 which STILL FIVE YEARS LATER comes up short but a half a point as they rated 2K5 a 9.4. So, while you may think that the reviews are in favor of Madden, they arent thus far and until 2K returns, I doubt that they ever will be.

Back five years ago in 2004, IGN rated Madden NFL 2005 a 9.5 beating 2K5 by 1/10 of a point. Big deal. Since then, look at what IGN has rated Madden (Xbox) every year since -

2006 - 8.8
2007 - 8.3
2008 - 7.9
2009 - 7.5*
2010 - 8.9 (360/PS3)

* - For whatever reason, IGN didnt even review 209 for Xbox and instead took the average of two different review sites (official Xbox magazine and Maxim).

For anyone who cant see the obvious, without competition, IGN has been able to review Madden for what it really is - an overrated, overexposed, overpriced football game thats somewhat good but nowhere near great. The funny thing is that when 2K was around, Madden always received the higher score in comparison and higher scores in general compared to what its received in the last five years.

Basically, without competition, those who review Madden can do so fairly and be objective because they dont have to worry about EA pulling their ads from their site and costing thm money. People (especially Madden fans) will buy Madden each and every year for one simple fact - if you want to play the only current officially licensed NFL video game, its Madden or nothing.

Unless of course, you have a brain in your head and still know that despite all the problems that 2K5 had/has, at least they dont repeat the same mistakes year after year for the last half decade. And if anything, 2K5 is gaining momentum as opposed to losing it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
How dare you not mention the Dreamcast! HOW DARE YOU!! I will now go retrieve a kleenex from my Dreamcast shaped kleenex box!

Man... with your love for all of those systems I can't believe you don't have a "special" xbox.

...and loved the Saturn. Slick looking and ahead of its' time!
Oops. My mistake. I loved Dreamcast at the time. I used it to not only go on the internet but NFL 2K1 was the game that made me addicted to the series. I had NBA 2K1, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Grandia and Resident Evil Code Veronica all at the same time but they were all barely played as nothing could pull me away from 2K1 (until 2K3). The only actual game I beat for DC was Headhunter which I imported. HH was a MGS clone but a damn good one.

I loved Saturn too. My all-time favorite SS game was Dark Savior. There were other classics for it that I never had the chance to play (mainly RPGs) but it was a great system. 3DO was also damn good but didnt have the third party support that Sony, Nintendo and Sega had which is a shame because capability wise, it blew away N64, SS and PSone.

Damn it - all this talk about DC, SS and 3DO makes me want to buy them all again.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 6

I would have to agree with the original poster. I have played the demo and a couple of games of the retail version of Madden 10 and its a big upgrade, easily the best next gen madden thus far. They have made great strides from last year, I will probably give it a good hard look via a rental, but it still is not as good as 2k5. 2k5 just gives me that feeling of having earned a victory, and that my playcalling matters and such. Madden may be nice to look at but in the nuts and bolts meat of the gameplay it still falls short. Here's to hoping I change my opinion after a good rental.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »