Home

How Can I Fix the Terrible QB AI?

This is a discussion on How Can I Fix the Terrible QB AI? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
How Can I Fix the Terrible QB AI?

I would love this game, but the QB AI for the CPU is horrible and all of their passes , as well as mine, are thrown perfectly accurate. Anyone know how I can fix these problems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: How Can I Fix the Terrible QB AI?

We've discussed this issue here for years now. There are many, MANY threads on the subject. Do a search.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
We've discussed this issue here for years now. There are many, MANY threads on the subject. Do a search.
thank you for your assistance
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
I searched all possiliblities and nothing came up. Can you please point me in the right direction
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Banned

Basically, you have a few choices. First though, keep in mind you can try for realistic sim stats and keep QB ratings low. Or you can jack up QB ratings to a point where the CPU starts to play somewhat realistically, although the screwy game coding can prevent that from happening, even then.

QB ratings that need to be raised include Consistency, Accuracy and Pass Read primarily. IMO, no QB should be lower than 90 in those catagories. I use Finn's editor, so all my QB's are rated between 90 and 127. There are other ratings -- Leadership is one -- that may or may not have an effect on QB accuracy. Again, the issue is there's so much that's screwy with the game coding itself that it's tough to know exactly how much of an effect some of these ratings have.

Another thing is to remove all CPU playbook plays that have short crossing routes that cut across the middle. These routes clog the middle with players, which causes the CPU to throw a ton of incomplete passes and INTs.

Another issue with the game coding again is the CPU is programmed to throw mostly to the highest rated players, even if they're in double and triple coverage. If the CPU has a #1 WR who is 10-15 ratings points higher than anyone else, the QB will be picking him out all the time. I'm not sure there's any fix for this other than to try and keep CPU WR and TE ratings similar, but nobody here has ever tried that to my knowledge.

Yet another issue has to do with DBs and their abilities. They get to the receivers too quickly, causing "proximity knockdowns" that really should be completions. If you lower DB speed and agility ratings, you'll notice CPU receivers will be more open, will have a much better chance at catching passes, and will have a better chance at gaining YAK.

IF you do all this, it doesn't guarantee the CPU will play much better. It only assures the CPU will play somewhat better, and will even have games from time to time where it completes 65-75% of its passes.

Last edited by baa7; 07-27-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig
thank you for your assistance
That was more non-assistance than assistance, I guess. Thanks anyway though.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Basically, you have a few choices. First though, keep in mind you can try for realistic sim stats and keep QB ratings low. Or you can jack up QB ratings to a point where the CPU starts to play somewhat realistically, although the screwy game coding can prevent that from happening, even then.

QB ratings that need to be raised include Consistency, Accuracy and Pass Read primarily. IMO, no QB should be lower than 90 in those catagories. I use Finn's editor, so all my QB's are rated between 90 and 127. There are other ratings -- Leadership is one -- that may or may not have an effect on QB accuracy. Again, the issue is there's so much that's screwy with the game coding itself that it's tough to know exactly how much of an effect some of these ratings have.

Another thing is to remove all CPU playbook plays that have short crossing routes that cut across the middle. These routes clog the middle with players, which causes the CPU to throw a ton of incomplete passes and INTs.

Another issue with the game coding again is the CPU is programmed to throw mostly to the highest rated players, even if they're in double and triple coverage. If the CPU has a #1 WR who is 10-15 ratings points higher than anyone else, the QB will be picking him out all the time. I'm not sure there's any fix for this other than to try and keep CPU WR and TE ratings similar, but nobody here has ever tried that to my knowledge.

Yet another issue has to do with DBs and their abilities. They get to the receivers too quickly, causing "proximity knockdowns" that really should be completions. If you lower DB speed and agility ratings, you'll notice CPU receivers will be more open, will have a much better chance at catching passes, and will have a better chance at gaining YAK.

IF you do all this, it doesn't guarantee the CPU will play much better. It only assures the CPU will play somewhat better, and will even have games from time to time where it completes 65-75% of its passes.
thank you
Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

One thing I'll give ya.... it's hard to search QB AI, because it's too short for the search engine to pick up.

Take a look at this: Daflyboys Roster Tweaking Primer

I'm also going to start working on a couple of playbooks and see if I can't elimnate some dumb route combinations that bunch receivers together.

Last edited by daflyboys; 07-27-2009 at 12:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »