Home

When does the Madden NFL Exclusive License run out?

This is a discussion on When does the Madden NFL Exclusive License run out? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: When does the Madden NFL Exclusive License run out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
why does this question keep popping up? It expires in 2013, but that was from EA and the NFL extending it in 2008. Peter Moore even said they'll do it again in 2013.

Franchise allegiances aside, it's clear that the NFL is happy with the current setup. EA is never going to lose the NFL license as log as they wish to have it. It's a cornerstone franchise for their company, and they probably spend more on marketing now than they ever did before exclusivity. They'll never want to see it become non exclusive.
The court actually gave the case against EA the greenlight and EA tried to get it dismissed and they got denied. Why would the judge greenlight the case if they didnt have a good case against EA? Regardless of the license and if they renewed it or not the lawsuit is about how theyre are abusing the license. If you want evidence ill link you information about the whole lawsuit...
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Show Me The Info. . . .I Want To See.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entiel
Show Me The Info. . . .I Want To See.
http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10688

There you go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

What i don't get is why ea doesn't get exclusive deal with the nba? NBA 2k kills them every year.

i hate ea's bully tendencies but i still buy their games( i mean i shouldn't) but they're good games what can i say? it's quite a predicament.

anyway ill never buy live, 2k sports needs and deserves all the money they get. they are the premier sports company.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers
They're not gonna lose that lawsuit. That lawsuit is crap to begin with. And even when the deal runs out the NFL will renew it. They're making a ton of money with EA,they won't mess that up.
The real issue is is EA making enough profit with Madden and the hefty licensing fee, sales have been going down since 2006.

Instead of them increasing sales since they've had the license they have been losing ground, which would seem almost impossible, it's a testament to how bad the games have been on next-gen, they have poisoned their own fanbase.

Perhaps EA would rather let multiple developers in on Madden and pay a LOT less for the NFL license. They will still retain about 90% of the current (although dwindling) Madden fanbase, who have proven they will buy just about anything with the name "Madden NFL" on it.

It all comes down to profit, if they think it would be more profitable to share the license, they will do it, if not, they will try to extend it.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm done with Madden. I hadn't bought it since 04, and I figured what the hell, I'll give 10 a try maybe they've stepped in up in 6 years. Sadly, no. So yea, I rebought 2k5 and am actually enjoying a football game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
The real issue is is EA making enough profit with Madden and the hefty licensing fee, sales have been going down since 2006.

Instead of them increasing sales since they've had the license they have been losing ground, which would seem almost impossible, it's a testament to how bad the games have been on next-gen, they have poisoned their own fanbase.

Perhaps EA would rather let multiple developers in on Madden and pay a LOT less for the NFL license. They will still retain about 90% of the current (although dwindling) Madden fanbase, who have proven they will buy just about anything with the name "Madden NFL" on it.

It all comes down to profit, if they think it would be more profitable to share the license, they will do it, if not, they will try to extend it.
You make some good points. Hopefully if enough people stop buying the damn games, EA will realize it's not worth it to pay for an exclusive license.

I have a feeling the lawsuit angle isn't going to pan out, so the only other hope is if it's just too expensive for EA.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

lawsuit will be tied up in court for years.

Quote:
The suit claims that EA's manipulation of the market allows the company to sell Madden for as much as $59.95 a gam
from the lawsuit which I find funny. EA selling their game for the same price as most every other ps3 and 360 game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 4

Most other games have as much as a 3 year development (much more investment from game publisher goes into it). Madden development is 7-8 months.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »