Home

Will 2k do a good job?

This is a discussion on Will 2k do a good job? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Will 2k do a good job?

I think the abysmal sales of APF proved that the "loyal 2K fanbase" doesn't translate to much in the way of revenue. And I think the license argument is a cop-out. Winning Eleven vs FIFA was a great example of why the license doesn't matter if the quality is there.

And for the record, EA isn't the only company having a rough time. Every major developer in the industry is on a downturn. I know many would love to point to the reduced sales of Madden/NCAA and try to make the argument that it's a result of quality. It's not. The bottom line is that people have far less in the way of disposable income these days and if it means keeping last year's version of a sports game so they can afford a blockbuster like MF2, GTA IV, or Bioshock 2 then they are willing to do that. Yearly sports games become expendable in this economic climate.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I think the abysmal sales of APF proved that the "loyal 2K fanbase" doesn't translate to much in the way of revenue. And I think the license argument is a cop-out. Winning Eleven vs FIFA was a great example of why the license doesn't matter if the quality is there.

And for the record, EA isn't the only company having a rough time. Every major developer in the industry is on a downturn. I know many would love to point to the reduced sales of Madden/NCAA and try to make the argument that it's a result of quality. It's not. The bottom line is that people have far less in the way of disposable income these days and if it means keeping last year's version of a sports game so they can afford a blockbuster like MF2, GTA IV, or Bioshock 2 then they are willing to do that. Yearly sports games become expendable in this economic climate.
When I say "loyal 2K fanbase", I meant overall from NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. There are a lot of sports fans who dont like EA products and will forever stay loyal to 2K. The exclusive argument isnt a cop out and you cant compare some minor sport like MLS to the number one professional sport in the world in the NFL. There's no comparison. Huge difference because a casual MLS fan wont even care and will just play the game where as a hardcore NFL fan isnt going to play a generic football game. Blitz sucked and APF 2K8 was behind it. The only game that might suceed is Bacbreaker and thats only because its supposedto have some kind of franchise mode where as APF didnt.

I agree with a lot of companies having money troubles but thats because companies waste so much money on quantity instead of quality. And "big name" games may sell millions of copies but just because its a "big name" doesnt mean that its a great game (ala Madden). I own 360 and the last game I purchased was Dragon Age. The next game will be Splinter Cell Conviction. I'll be buying PS3 soon because there's more games that I want to play for it than 360.

Excluding probably Nintendo, every game company is pretty much careless with their money spending and another thing that hurts them is when a game is exclusive. I can understand first party companies Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony as well as second party companies who are exclusive to one of the first party companies but third party companies are the ones that get in money trouble and spending millions on developing a game for just one system (compared to two or all three) is basically only being available to 33.3% of the market. Thats not a good money making decision.

Another thing that hurts is all this online DLC crap. You spend $60 on a game and then have to spend more money on LIVE plus more money for "extra" stuff that should have been in the game to begin with. Online is great for patches and such but all this other stuff is crap. With the main one player game so short nowadays, you have to wonder how vieo games would be if there was no online.

Oh well, thankfully, I still have an SNES when games were actually worth $60 or at least more than not.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Take Two Interactive is losing money and it appears that 2K Sports is in trouble because MLB 2K10 and NHL 2K10 could be the final sports games from them for that sport. That would only leave NBA 2K as the sole survivor in regards to the top four major pro sports.

The reason EA isnt doing good is because they purchased too much too fast and didnt think long term. As much as I hate EA, if they were to acquire Visual Concepts or 2K Sports or even TTI and actually allow them to make their own sports games like they do now without interferring, it would be great for EA and us gamers.

Think about it -

EA would not only make millions of dollars more, they would acquire something even more valuable. The loyal 2K sports fanbase. While it would be in-house, there at the very least finally be some competition which would allow both VC and Tirubon to develop the best NFL game possible and the reason why they would want to make their NFL game damn good - to not only bragging rights for that given year but to show everyone that they are the better developer and give the gamer the better gaming experience.

Of course, the only true negative would be if EA was to just shutdown 2K sports and VC plus the other developers that develop the other 2K sports games. If done correctly, it would not only be great for everyone involved but in my opinion, would revitalize and revolutionize the gaming industry because as I said, if done correctly, it would be on an epic type scale to where various gaming companies would want to see in-house competition in order to make all their products better.

Ever notice how one publisher releases a FPS from one developer and then has another developer under the same publisher release a FPS of their own a few weeks or so later? This happens so much, its insane and majority of the time, one usually flops while the other succeeds. Wouldnt it be best if both succeeded? I believe that it would also allow companies to care more about quality as opposed to quantity.

Compare a company releasing ten games with five of them being flops to a company that releases only five games but with only one flop. You're comparing 50% to 80% sucess rate. Which would you rather have?

This is just my own insane opinion but at the same time, I wouldnt want to see this happen if the "absorbed" company/developer is just going to be in the background. I would only want to see this happen if like I said, its done correctly.

In the mean time, I await BACKBREAKER.
Monopolly is not good for you. That's always true for consumers looking for an increase in quality as time goes on. EA wouldn't produce from two studios, what would that gain for them? They run the show in your scenario, and would continue not doing anything for their series like they do in NCAA and Madden now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by el bandolero
Monopolly is not good for you. That's always true for consumers looking for an increase in quality as time goes on. EA wouldn't produce from two studios, what would that gain for them? They run the show in your scenario, and would continue not doing anything for their series like they do in NCAA and Madden now.
In my scenario, EA isnt running the show. EA would let Tirubon develop Madden and VC would develop NFL 2K. It would be in-house competition and the benefit would be a larger fanbase and thus more money.

Besides, if MLB and NHL are discontinued from 2K games, all thats left is NBA 2K and it wouldnt even matter if EA was to buy TTI or VC or 2K sports because three of the four major sports franchises would be dead anyway.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 28

lol, EA would never buy VC. If they did, it would be to close it or try to take talent, but you would have to want them to move from San Fran to where is the NCAA team? Vancouver? i think? I dont know if thats going to happen.

There is no way in HELL or Heaven or in the middle that EA allows competing products like that. They want to be the ONLY. They want their one game to be in and NO other game.

Come on you all should know better how EA runs.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
In my scenario, EA isnt running the show. EA would let Tirubon develop Madden and VC would develop NFL 2K. It would be in-house competition and the benefit would be a larger fanbase and thus more money.

Besides, if MLB and NHL are discontinued from 2K games, all thats left is NBA 2K and it wouldnt even matter if EA was to buy TTI or VC or 2K sports because three of the four major sports franchises would be dead anyway.
When "bigger" companies adsorb competition they close out the competition. EA isn't (and shouldn't) interested in mediating their own game competition, because it would waste money. If you force people to buy one a game, then they buy it, as this license as shown. Who isn't buying Madden because it sucks? Basically the people posting in this and the 2k8 profile. Compare that with the traffic in the madden thread, we're at about a tenth of the total, and we have a greater percentage of our population present in online forums, because we are "HARDCORE!!!" gamers, or rather, people who like quality.

EA doesn't need to make its own competition, they could try if they wanted to. But they don't care about us and too many people buy the games regardless, so we're shafted.

---

If 2K can make a college football game in which they get the zone read, bubble screen, and other "college" plays to work properly, I'll consider buying two copies.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 14

I really have never got into college games too much...If, IF 2K produces a title I will!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Spartan99
I really have never got into college games too much...If, IF 2K produces a title I will!!!!
I barely watch the national title game, but if we get a new football game from a new company and its 2K. darn right i will get into it.

Its been a long 5 years. I loved me some APF but that was 3 years ago almost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »