Home

NFL2K5 Esoteric thread?

This is a discussion on NFL2K5 Esoteric thread? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
NFL2K5 Esoteric thread?

Since there is such a strong community on OS for this game I was wondering (and hoping) if you guys can put together a thread similar to what we have in the College Hoops 2K8 forum...

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ss-arcane.html

That thread has so much amazing information that can help anyone from vets to noobs learn everything they need to know to get the most out of CH2K8; from gameplay tips to user adjustments and tricks/tweaks (such as playbooks, etc). Tons of little things not found in the instruction booklet.

I have owned NFL2K5 since it released but I don't think I ever fully understood how to play the game. There are so many bright spots to this game but I don't think I ever "got" it which is probably why I never fell in love with the game.

I have all the updated rosters and setting files, they are awesome and thanks to all who contributed.

Here are some of my main questions.

When running the ball...

1. What's the best strategy after you receive a hand off: tap A, hold A for one power move or something different? Does it change based on speed back vs power back? Change on a sweep/toss vs something inside?

I feel like if I power up for one move that particular move is always successful but it leaves me vulnerable and I always get tackled right afterwards by another defender. Should I only use a power-up move downfield when it's just me and one defender?

2. Does the R-Stick juke ever work when not a power-up move? I can never seem to get it to work .

3. When and how often should I use Y to lower my shoulder? Again, does it vary on speed/power back? I use it when I hit the hole a lot, probably because I'm used to Madden where DL just magically slide off their block to tackle you on occasion.

When passing...

1. I can get maximum passing to work fine to the left and right but I can't throw the bomb to save my life. In scrimmage/practice mode I cannot throw a ball more than 41 yards no matter what I do. I feel like this is one of the biggest reasons I never got big in 2K5, I can't stretch the field at all and in turn it's not as fun to use talented passing team. Can I throw the ball 60 yards in the air to hit a guy over the top on a go route? I've never been able to do this. Sometimes if I jam up on the L-stick just after releasing the ball I can throw it far but I overthrow my WR every single time and the ball never seems to have enough air under it. What am I missing here?

2. Passing to RB's in the flat never seems to work for me, I always get immediately tackled even if it's a slower LB on a guy like Chris Johnson. I just can't get any space or separation in this area of the passing game. Is this an engine issue or am I doing something wrong?

On defense...

1. What's the best strategy when using a defensive linemen? Hold or tap A?

2. Is there a noticeable difference when using zone vs man to stop the CPU's passing game? Does one work better than the other consistently?

Hopefully this thread can be built up to include tons of info to help many gamers.

Last edited by ehh; 01-08-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NFL2K5 Esoteric thread?

Running:
Ok man right stick jukes can rape the defense. It all depends on your runningback I have a 67 rated rb but his agility and speed make up for it and his staminas decent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWw8Ytqqqck this is my vid watch at :35 I manually did that no ratings boost on the player just added visor he is 67 rated. Its user controlled if you master it you can do really neat things. Watch exactly at :46 you will see another user juke i cut hard inside than juked outside. 1:15 showcases another instance.

My next vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Aso...eature=channel The quality is worst espeacially at the begining but oh well lol...Ok these are updated rosters and I am Leon washington I run a pitch follow my blocks and hit up and left on the right stick juking the defender dont always tap when you recieve the ball look for your whole first I only tap when im in a footrace 2k ball carriers sometimes dont need to use speedburst to move, speedburst makes you more stiff you need to beable to make cuts when you get the ball. 1:20 shows screen..when you pass out there its all about touch jus dont throw and think he's gonna always catch you have to make it catchable. 1:28 maybe really important to you, with desean jackson i return a punt, see how i dont really tap crazy instead I sprint a little but I save up alot of energy by not going all out and use that for a better speed burst which allows me to beat the defender.

Passing: I dont have specific vids really all my stuff shows user catching not really beating the defender in a long bomb but I assure you its very possible it all has to do with timing your throw and practice and another very important thing user catching. Sometimes the cpu doesnt position itself right so you must control the reciever to catch it in stride for the TD. 1 Problem with this game to me which can I believe be fixed with finns editor is throw power qbs to me sometimes act as if 50 yards is there max i dont get it.

Defense: All about how your prepared before the snap seriously man so much practice goes into playing good D. With zones and man make sure you bring the pressure because any receiver can get open if the qb has enough time. You gotta know your defense and players and know how well they perform 2k players really vary you have to know what works for your team and what doesnt dont expect to just put a poor coverage fast corner on a talented average speed pro bowler, he will get embarrassed.

Practice Practice Practice
Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Won't matter....newbs STILL won't use the search feature.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

My 2 cents:

When passing...

1. I can get maximum passing to work fine to the left and right but I can't throw the bomb to save my life. In scrimmage/practice mode I cannot throw a ball more than 41 yards no matter what I do. I feel like this is one of the biggest reasons I never got big in 2K5, I can't stretch the field at all and in turn it's not as fun to use talented passing team. Can I throw the ball 60 yards in the air to hit a guy over the top on a go route? I've never been able to do this. Sometimes if I jam up on the L-stick just after releasing the ball I can throw it far but I overthrow my WR every single time and the ball never seems to have enough air under it. What am I missing here?

I never use maximum passing. I know a lot of guys like it, but I've found the QB throws where I want him to throw and I can still control the pass based on how hard I throw it (holding or tapping the A button). I lob the long ones and rifle the short-med throws, except when going to a RB in flat (if you whip it at him, it is often inc.)

2. Passing to RB's in the flat never seems to work for me, I always get immediately tackled even if it's a slower LB on a guy like Chris Johnson. I just can't get any space or separation in this area of the passing game. Is this an engine issue or am I doing something wrong?

It depends a lot on who's roster you're using. Some of these I've played with give the LBs such good pass defense/speed that you're absolutely right- there is no sense throwing to the back. Others, GR18's, Puja's, and mine (that I've played and can think of off-hand), have LB coverage or speed a little lower, so they don't always get there in time.

On defense...

1. What's the best strategy when using a defensive linemen? Hold or tap A?

I hold A to charge up a little until I make decent contact and then tap to make my move.

2. Is there a noticeable difference when using zone vs man to stop the CPU's passing game? Does one work better than the other consistently?

I prefer man, especially since you can set match-ups. The cpu likes to favor the best receiver and I'll assign my best cover guy to him. It usualy helps and makes him go to others, but I like man in short med circumstances and often use a nickel/dime zone on 3rd and long.

Obviously, everyone who plays has there own methods, but that's how I like to play.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

You cannot throw the ball further than 45 yards on anything more than a hail mary. It was the weakest part of the game. Besides the CPU running AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think you can throw it farther than 45 yards...Depends on qb and my problem with the cpu is that they dont run enough.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
MVP

cyclone2426's Arena

OVR: 30

I didnt think they could throw it far either until i saw that animation where the QB kinda leans back then really steps into it, and he really unleashed one, dont know how far, but i think it was longer than 45 yards.

Facebook - Custom Sports Covers
Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Can anyone tell if manipulating coaching sliders through Finn's editor or through the game has any effect on the CPU's play selection?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »