Home

Old 07-24-2003, 11:46 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: player movement in ESPN Football

The running game in 2k3 is hands down the single area where it out shines Madden to the highest degree. Running animations aside, the way that the plays and blocking unfold and require precise timing and decision making to execute are light years ahead of Madden's style.

In Madden you seem to hit walls of defenders and finesse running is limited.

Every time I play 2k3 I realized how well they made the running game as blocks are made and creases sealed, all depending on my sense of timing. I enjoy the stop on a dime running as a back like Warrick Dunn can stop on a dime in reality.

What bothers me about Madden's stlye is that players tackle with butts and shoulders and it takes too much time and effort to slow down your momentum and make a cut. It seems as if a juke move is needed to make any fast cut against the pursuit of the defense.

This isnt the case in 2k3.

In regards to all of the complaints about the running animations looking jerky, that very well may be the case. I think they look ok, but I have never given them that much thought. However I would never fail a game for a graphics issue, I'm interested in actual gameplay. So in my estimation 2k3 in the running dept is hands down the winner over Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 02:21 PM   #66
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Graphik said:
You know, this discussion with you has tempted me to try 2K3 again tonite. That is if I can step away from NCAA. I cant touch Madden again because the comeback mode is rediculous. I must have quit my last 7 games because the score at halftime would be 21-21 or something high like that. All because the cpu refuses to be far behind come the second half.
But my last full game I played of 2K3, the end game score was 17-20, off a field goal in the last seconds. It felt good, but when I kept playing futher, those gripes just kept jumping out on me. So I put down football games for good. That was 2 weeks ago, now I have NCAA and I love that game so much that I'm patiently waiting Maddens arrival in hopes that the gameplay is the exact same.

But in the meantime, I need to go ahead and give 2K3 another shot. This time I'm gonna pick another teams playbook cause I hated the bears with passion. But if you dont see my report on the game tommorow, I'll defetnitley spend some time with it this weekend. And plus my boy is coming over, I'm gonna attemp to show him 2K3 hoping that he sees that there is major competition in the football genre. He's a true to life EA(not just Madden) but EA fan. He hates Live but refuses to try NBA 2K3. He played that a few times but did'nt get into it enough. But I need to show him that Sega/VC is where its at regarding sports games. If they can change my mind about football, then you can consider me a loyalist. But in the mean time, I'm still stuck on MAdden.

I really dont think Madden has went the way of the other titles. Madden does blend sim and arcade but like we both agreed on its on how you play the game. Live, NHL and Fifa were strickly arcade games now. There is no possible way to make those games sim. Those games break the laws of physics. But this year with Live, thier adding the option to make it sim with sliders. (Thank God) But like so many ppl complain, Madden has'nt really changed it gameplay/physics/graphics since the move to upper consoles. I can name each year when the other titles started heading in the opposite direction.

Hey Graphik, I was out of town for a few days. Any new thoughts?

I've actually played Live 2003 and I can see how if you conditioned yourself you could play it like a sim. The lack of sliders is a big problem and I could never play realistically against another person but then I think the same thing about Madden so it could just be me.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #67
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Yea, I'm starting to appreciate the game more. All you gotta do is see it for what its worth and stop comparing it to Madden. The more ppl compare it to Madden the more gripes they will find. So I stop comparing it, and played half a game yestersay. Its cool, I finnaly figured out the passing game, next is to learn how to run the ball. Its just so many goddamn bottons to learn. I need to practice my offense and defense to learn what play does and stops what. Cause I'm still lost in the aspect. I printed out the real updated manual and learned so much freaking more about that game. Only messed up thing is, I may not have time for it. Between KOTR and NCAA, I dont think I will ever get to practice and appreciate the game more. But I can understand why this game has a fan base. You cant do the simple cheesy thing you do in Madden and get away with it.

If I were to make a interst scale for the upcoming games it would go.

ESPN-------------------------!-----------------------MADDEN

Old 07-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #68
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

cool. that sounds good. if you want to put the time in, check out our strategy guide at nfl2kx.com. unfortunately things got started late in the process and the D section isn't complete.

this late in the game i can certainly understand not wanting to put time in to learn everything. i'm just glad you see how REALLY different it is. i know everyone says it's different but i don't know how many madden fans realize HOW different it is and you have to completely change your thinking to see it.

i don't know how you're going to continue playing it at this stage and still play ncaa constantly. going back and forth screws most people up. i am curious to see your takes on the upcoming games. considering your transformation from hating the game to putting it equal to madden is well documented throughout the forums, you'll probably have the most understandable and unbiased reviews.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #69
Pro

PDex's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

RandyMoss said:
The running game in 2k3 is hands down the single area where it out shines Madden to the highest degree. Running animations aside, the way that the plays and blocking unfold and require precise timing and decision making to execute are light years ahead of Madden's style.

In Madden you seem to hit walls of defenders and finesse running is limited.

Every time I play 2k3 I realized how well they made the running game as blocks are made and creases sealed, all depending on my sense of timing. I enjoy the stop on a dime running as a back like Warrick Dunn can stop on a dime in reality.

What bothers me about Madden's stlye is that players tackle with butts and shoulders and it takes too much time and effort to slow down your momentum and make a cut. It seems as if a juke move is needed to make any fast cut against the pursuit of the defense.

This isnt the case in 2k3.

In regards to all of the complaints about the running animations looking jerky, that very well may be the case. I think they look ok, but I have never given them that much thought. However I would never fail a game for a graphics issue, I'm interested in actual gameplay. So in my estimation 2k3 in the running dept is hands down the winner over Madden.

I agree with every thing you stated. Madden's blocking and running game is clearly inferior IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »