Home

All these Innovations and Sega always forgets about...

This is a discussion on All these Innovations and Sega always forgets about... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 07-24-2003, 12:48 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: All these Innovations and Sega always forgets about...

Quote:

Fetter21 said:
An excelerated clock seems like it woudln't be able to work well with the 40 second clock since it would give you less than 15 seconds to pick a play and call it at the line. I'm fine just playing with the normal settings.

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!! That reason alone is probably why VC doesn't bother with an excelerated clock.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Quote:

Fetter21 said:
An excelerated clock seems like it woudln't be able to work well with the 40 second clock since it would give you less than 15 seconds to pick a play and call it at the line. I'm fine just playing with the normal settings.

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!! That reason alone is probably why VC doesn't bother with an excelerated clock.

The way I understand it, the play clock stays at normal speed but the game clock is accelerated. That way when you pick your play and hike the ball in about 20 REAL seconds the game clock will decrease about 40 seconds like it would in real life. Not sure if that is the right way of explaining it though. I would hope ESPN football has correct simulated stats this year, I can't believe it has taken them this long to get it right. Madden's stat simulating has been pretty good the last few years from what I have seen.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

sportsgeist:

Why is his remark a "winner"

Isn't rushing to the line trying to call an audible but realizing you have to burn a timeout a part of football?
Plus Madden gives you about 20 seconds from the time the huddle is over. Plenty of time to make any changes.

Also another thing. When you are playing these 8-10 minute quarter games and the computer is running out the clock and running the playclock down he is using a larger more unrealistic percentage chunk of the quarter. It sucks when on an 8 minute quarter game that the computer is taking 40 seconds between plays at the end of the half or game. 40 seconds wasted out of an 8 minute quarter is too big of a percentage of time burned..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2003, 12:20 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Apparently, very few around here remember the old Front Page Sports series from Sierra. They implemented the perfect accelerated clock feature. When you picked your play it would randomly tick down to about 15 seconds and send you back onto the field. To this day it is still one of the best sims you will ever play. It also had the best play editor ever by a far margin. You could even cause delayed patterns & handoffs to the tenth of a second and etc.. It also was the first game that I know of to implement a franchise, back in 1996. Ahh, I hate sierra for what they did to quite possibly the best football series of all-time.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

playerX said:
Quote:

donjn said:
Having real 15 minute quarters via an accelerated clock. Why is this so hard to impliment? Why is it so hard to have your games total plays from scrimage match the simmed games plays from scrimage? Why is it so hard for Sega's Football games to have simmed QB's complete 60% instead of 50% of their passes?

Sega must fix these little things first but they would rather focus on "first person mode"...

accelerated clock or not, 15 minute quarters would take 2 hours to complete one game, that's why.

15 minute quarters take about an hour and 20 mins if you run the clock down. It would take a half hour or 45 minutes with and accelerated clock.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

prezken said:
Apparently, very few around here remember the old Front Page Sports series from Sierra. They implemented the perfect accelerated clock feature. When you picked your play it would randomly tick down to about 15 seconds and send you back onto the field. To this day it is still one of the best sims you will ever play. It also had the best play editor ever by a far margin. You could even cause delayed patterns & handoffs to the tenth of a second and etc.. It also was the first game that I know of to implement a franchise, back in 1996. Ahh, I hate sierra for what they did to quite possibly the best football series of all-time.

Depending on the situation of the game would depend on how much the play clock would run down. If your down 3 with 2 mins left it won't run down but if you are up 15 with 2 mins left it will run down. The play clock also runs down while on defense. I suggest someone at Sega or VC take a look at Sierra's Front Page Sports Football for some ideas. It was the greatest football game ever. It still would be if it was released on other systems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »