Home

Old 07-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: WTF...supposed EGM scores!!

Quote:

omegatron3k said:
Well don't any of us know anything because I highly doubt that the scores are real. If they are then guess what would've been posted with the scores? The actual page would've been scanned in by now to verify it. Secondly the new issue of EGM hasn't even been released yet & ESPN has yet to go gold so there's no way that they are legit. Madden hasn't gone gold yet!

Also look at the scores in general, two out of the three reviewers gave Madden a 9.5. I don't know too many pubs that give this high of a score for a title unless it's money under the table. Look at Fever's scores, do you mean to tell me that Fever isn't improved from last year. Dude this is bogus & until someone scans in the page I ain't tryin to hear it!!!

1. Maybe no one has asked for a scanned page up until now. I'm sure most people who pass on information don't really feel they have to prove it's true after being accused of lying.

2. How do you know the new issue hasn't been released yet? Mine hasn't come this month yet, but we are right around the end of the month when the issues get sent out.

3. Games don't have to go gold to get reviewed by a magazine. Magazines always review games much earlier than when they are released. The main reason for early copies is for magazines, since they write there stories so much earlier than when the mag hits the stands.

4. Madden sells millions and millions of copies. Meaning lots of people love the game. I think it's possible that they will get high scores.

I'm not saying they are defiently true, but just because they aren't what you would expect doesn't mean they are bogus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #26
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

omegatron3k said:
Well don't any of us know anything because I highly doubt that the scores are real. If they are then guess what would've been posted with the scores? The actual page would've been scanned in by now to verify it. Secondly the new issue of EGM hasn't even been released yet & ESPN has yet to go gold so there's no way that they are legit. Madden hasn't gone gold yet!

Also look at the scores in general, two out of the three reviewers gave Madden a 9.5. I don't know too many pubs that give this high of a score for a title unless it's money under the table. Look at Fever's scores, do you mean to tell me that Fever isn't improved from last year. Dude this is bogus & until someone scans in the page I ain't tryin to hear it!!!

If I get mine around friday like i normally do I'll be glad to give you all the details if it isn't known by then.
But I have a feeling these aren't fake, as a EGM editor was replying in the thread that leaked them. And what makes you so sure about Fever?

My current speculation is maybe the reviewers were new and didn't take the time to adjust it(or were long time madden players). I can't see Sega screwing up there flagship series.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:15 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've seen it posted on 3 different message boards, but nobody has yet to confirm it...take that as you will. Confirm and I will believe.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:57 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 12

There is no reason not to believe the scores. Game mags often get their scores "leaked" well before anyone receives that month's copy in the mail. No big shock there.

In order to stay somewhat current in the internet age, game mags almost always have to review beta or unfinished copies of games. This is common practice, and isn't done to be sneaky or underhanded. The game is still deemed to be a reviewable copy by the developer, or they wouldn't send it at all. EGM still hasn't reviewed the new PS2 Tomb Raider game, even though it has been out for over a month. Why? Because Eidos realizes that it is junk and they don't want bad reviews. It works both ways sometimes.

The bottom line really is that you should not go by what 3 people at a magazine think of a game. Do you want someone else telling you what music is good, or do you want to listen for yourself and make that call? Why should games or anything else be different?

If you are hell bent on going by reviews to make a purchase, at least do yourself the justice of getting a large sample to base your opinion from. Go to gamerankings.com and look at all the review scores. I guarantee you right now that ESPN will get many more high scores than it does negative ones.

You also have to take into account that even if we are lucky to see reviews written by people who have an actual interest in the genre, their opinions are often skewed by having played Madden for the last 12 years. That doesn't make Madden a bad game, either. I am just saying that old habits usually die hard.

Just think for yourself and make an educated decision. You wouldn't go out and buy a 30,000 dollar car without at least test driving it first, so don't buy a game without being informed, at the very least.

The whole review thing is so overblown anyways. So many people get so worked up if their favorite game gets a poor score nowadays. Does it matter? Who cares what someone else thinks of it as long as you get your 50 bucks worth of enjoyment out of it?

End of rant.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #29
MVP

soxboy7's Arena

Why isn't it possible Madden would get better scores? Have any of us played either game? It just strikes me as odd that unless Espn gets a 9.5 or higher so many people just dismiss the review out of hand. The same thing goes for Madden. If that doesn't get a good review ,in the other forum everyone gets upset
Old 07-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 26

I have no problem with the scores for or against. I just want to see the content of the reveiw. Thats all I want to see. There could be glaring flaws inherent to the game. I played it at E3 and it was at least a 9 when I played the 50% build all things considering. I look at it like this you give a numeric value to a game, and yet you don't tell me why you assigned that score to it, thats all I have with the post.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:09 PM   #31
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

Quote:

backbreaker said:
I look at it like this you give a numeric value to a game, and yet you don't tell me why you assigned that score to it, thats all I have with the post.

Exactly. It's one of the problems I have with all magazine sports game reviews. They don't generally tell what, why or how they reached their conclusion. They just give their conclusion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2003, 08:31 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

It seems as though all the scores are coming from one person and then spreading throughout the internet like wildfire. Also I haven't seen any specific quotes about either game from anyone, just scores...somethings fishy

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »