Home

Old 07-24-2003, 08:39 PM   #33
Pro

blueduke's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: WTF...supposed EGM scores!!

EGM reviewers have always sucked. Now they have dorks whose preferred genre is something besides sports. I guess they give sports games a whirl in between Zelda sessions.

ESPN is my early favorite to be the best pigskin game. While Madden is a good game, has anyone ever played a Madden game without the CPU's quarterback having late game heroics regardless of his skill level?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:

Erv said:
espn - 8, 7.5, 8.5
madden - 9.5,9,9.5
fever - 6.5,6.5,6

egm was nice to nfl 2k3, so what could it be

Hey, Im hoping ESPN is good too, but quite honestly Im disappointed in the lack of franchise mode additions (my biggest draw when it comes to BUYING a game, as opposed to renting)... I think the gameplay looks great and all that stuff, but it IS possible that Madden is just that much better... A new year with new games and fresh reviews, and that's how they saw it....
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #35
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

What lack of franchise options? What else do they need? What does madden have that they don't have?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 10

Madden is out... just to tell you the game is a finished product... the game is at warehouse's right now. I know people who have it.. I know 2... they have takin screen shots and everythin.. so pretty sure those EGM reviews have to be real.

And ESPN is probably finished to.. just makin copies, or its 95% done.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #37
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

How could it be done? They still have at least 2 or 3 weeks to finish it. The game doesn't come out until sept. 2. Unless they moved the release date up...
Old 07-24-2003, 09:20 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well I'm gonna say this & be threw with it. Why when the Game Informer football preview came out it was detailed & the scores were basically what everyone expected. Right when the scores were posted the actual magazine page was scanned on the sites as verification. Also take heed that this was the August issue of Game Informer & it was just a preview because the games have yet to go gold!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #39
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

They spoke:
"It's not in comparison to last year's versions but to the competition at the time. If we always compared everything to the previous versions, nearly every sports game would have leveled off at a perfect tens years ago because each update is usually slightly better than the last. "

Keep in mind this is the same mag who just gave Soul Calibur 2 two 10's, a stellar game, but like i hoping espn is, a better version of a stellar game.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #40
Rookie

Bossplaya's Arena

OVR: 1

You know, it always begs the question of how these sports games can be "done" earlier and earlier each year while the programmers having to squeeze in more and more improvements. I mean, it's clearly obvious that Madden's gameplay isn't perfect (if a real NFL simulation is the standard to be achieved) and some serious aspects need improving, but EA acts like the gameplay is near perfect enough that it wouldn't need another couple months of tweaking. Somehow, I just don't buy that.

In that Madden Challenge on G4tv, people only used 3 teams to win (Rams, Philly and Pittsburg), and one dude who used Tampa Bay was called a [censored you naughty boy] (funny since that team in real life won the Super Bowl!). That would be something that EGM would not be able to pick up as they probably don't have reviewers that are good enough to even expose any serious flaws in any sports game.

I do admit that those scores seem to coincide exactly with the perceived quality of both series by the people at large (including those "casual" gamers who don't read messageboards, but still play tons of games). That's what makes these scores suspicious as one would just have to put their wet finger in the wind to make them up.

Quote:

Why people put so much faith and or concern in any review, is beyond my comprehension. ESPECIALLY when it is about the SCORES...

How many people you know actually think for themselves or would have the gall to go against the grain? The uproar over these scores wouldn't ever happen if they didn't affect the hype of these titles. I've seen it happen where a lower than expectect score on a good game caused people to skip it on just the score alone way too many times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »